• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Friendly Encounter in St. Joseph!!!

Reverend BCal

imported post

I was sitting at a local eatery (The First Ward House) with my mother and my Glock. As we walked in, she recognized a two local LEOs sitting on the opposite side of the restaurant. They were off duty. Immediately she lets me know that they're already giving dirty looks my way and getting on their cell phones. I sit so they're kind of bladed to my rear.

About 10 minutes later a sheriff's deputy walks in (out of uniform, but maybe still on duty) and sits at a table near to them. They immediately stand up and walk over to the deputy, pointing and glancing and OBVIOUSLY talking about me. I don't know what was said, but the two cities walk out the back door and the deputy doesn't move from his seat.

I finish my dinner and hop outside for a smoke. As I leave temporarily, I nodded and smiled at the deputy. Two minutes later (after apparently wrapping up lunch himself) the deputy walks outside beside me. The conversation:

S.D: "Howdy, whatcha carrying there, a Glock"
Me: "Yup, I've got the same holster as you do!"
S.D. "That it is. May I ask why you're carrying"
Me: "We've all got the right to defend ourselves, don't we?"
S.D. "I suppose you must get some funny looks, eh? Well, I don't rightly care. You aren't doing anything illegal. People just don't know that."
Me: "I aim to change that! You have yourself a good day. Thanks for your inquiry."

THAT WAS IT!!! My first truly positive encounter.

Article1section23

imported post

Reverend BCal wrote:
S.D: "Howdy, whatcha carrying there, a Glock"
Me: "Yup, I've got the same holster as you do!"
S.D. "That it is. May I ask why you're carrying"
Me: "We've all got the right to defend ourselves, don't we?"
S.D. "I suppose you must get some funny looks, eh? Well, I don't rightly care. You aren't doing anything illegal. People just don't know that."
Me: "I aim to change that! You have yourself a good day. Thanks for your inquiry."

THAT WAS IT!!! My first truly positive encounter.
Nice response from the Deputy.

gunman

imported post

thats good wonder why the two leos called a sherrif for,and i thought we werent allowed to carry guns into bars here. the first ward is just down the street from my house,and isnt considered a bar

Marc

imported post

Out of curiosity. do u know which deputy u spoke to and which sjpd officers were there? just gathering info to see which leos are aware of the law and which arent. and btw very nice positive encounter

Mo

Banned
imported post

gunman wrote:
thats good wonder why the two leos called a sherrif for,and i thought we werent allowed to carry guns into bars here. the first ward is just down the street from my house,and isnt considered a bar

It sounds to me like his showing up was just a coincidence.

The deputies are probably more used to seeing guns than the city cops.

nobama

imported post

I hate it when I read that they asked me why Im carrying. Its none of their business, unless a crime is being commited. Ask them why they cary.

sohighlyunlikely

imported post

wethepeople wrote:
I hate it when I read that they asked me why Im carrying. Its none of their business, unless a crime is being commited. Ask them why they cary.

I think the next time a LEO asks why do I carry. I will respond with "Why do you opencarry?". He will most likely respond "I have to I am a cop." and I will say "I respect your choice to become a police officer and to carry a firearm for your safety so you should understand my choice to take personal responsibility for my own safety" if he tries to spin something about OC not being the preferred style of carry then my reply would be "Wellyour PD as well as every other feels that your style of OC on the hip is the best way to carrya self defense tool. So that is a good enough reason for metochoose to OC in the same manner."

Doc

Reverend BCal

imported post

It was totally coincidence that the deputy showed up. And He was in a button down and slacks, detective style, so I didn't ask for or catch his name. He was a big (round, Santa-Clausesque) grey haired guy. The other two, I found out, may have been county employees, too, and not city. One works at the Buchanan County Jail, and the other is probably the same. McMillen, I believe, was one of the officers that gave a disapproving look my way, but since he did not speak to me directly I can't speculate towards his opinion.

I really can't see myself being short with an officer who is just engaging in friendly convo. The deputy genuinely sounded like he was just curious why I was carrying and he wanted to be friendly in letting me know I wasn't doing anything wrong. It'd be NICE to never have anyone question (I guess a badge helps) but until then I'm fine and dandy being "nice enough" until the situation get's confrontational. It's all about PR for us.

Reverend BCal

imported post

And MO!! Does this mean you're getting brave enough to join us on this elusive ultra secret BBQ/Park/dinner/whatever St. Joe get-together that Marc, Gunman and myself have been discussing yet? The more, the merrier!

gunman

imported post

hello marc I wouldnt worry about the cops here all of them here know oc is legal some are just ***holes,just avoid them no carry places and you will be just fine.I have had so many encounters around here they dont even bother anymore. just dont worry they cant do anything anyway if your legal to own/carry a firearm. (stay safe and carry on.)

Marc

imported post

oh trust me i'm not worried about the cops i just tend to get mouthy when they become assholes like most of our nightshift officers. i'd rather avoid dealing with them altogether ya know. And Sgt. Beaver already told me that SJPD officers know that it is legal, and they are told not to harass an oc'er but when the sheeple panic and call in a MWG they tend to get irritated about it when they arrive on scene. I actually have spent most of my teenage and young adult years proving to cops that i know the law as well if not better than them lol.