• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AUSTRALIA, NSW, Mudgee region in top for firearm ownership.

Haz.

imported post

Interesting article in the Newcastle Morning Herald this morning. I thought I would share this with my friends here on this board. Firearm ownership is slowing increasing here especially in country areas. Notice the statement, Mudgee hasthe lowest crime rate!
"Mudgee has the lowest crime rate in the state."
http://www.mudgeeguardian.com.au/news/local/news/general/mudgee-region-in-top-for-firearm-ownership/1857394.aspx?storypage=1
Mudgee region in top for firearm ownership
14 Jun, 2010 01:25 PM

Mudgee has more firearms licence holders per head of population than any major town in New South Wales according to a NSW Police report to the NSW Government and recorded in Hansard on April 20 this year.
The report, which recorded firearm licences by postcode area shows that Mudgee (postcode 2850) has 1862 firearms licence holders.
Only Tamworth (2794), Goulburn (2049), Bathurst (2528), Orange (2278), Dubbo (2193) and Wagga Wagga (2107) have more firearms licence holders than Mudgee.
However, when you include other post codes in the Mid Western Regional Council area (Gulgong, Rylstone and Kandos) the number sky rockets to 2791 and second place to Tamworth with a total population of less than half of the Tamworth postcode area.
The report also shows that major rural centres Armidale (1502) and Grafton (1620) have fewer firearms licences than Mudgee.
Statewide there are 177,675 firearms licence holders, or 1.57 per cent of the total number of licence holders in the state from a population base of approximately 0.36 per cent of the State’s population and the highest firearms ownership rate in the state.
Mudgee Police Crime Manager Inspector David Payne said firearms ownership only became a problem if they were not stored properly.
“If they are stored properly it minimises the risk of firearms falling into wrong hands,” Inspector Payne said.
“Currently Police are doing audits to ensure that firearms licence holders have their firearms stored correctly.”
(I have had three safe storage checks in as many years: As if my firearms safe is about to take a walk? -Haz).

Sporting shooters boost figures

Local competitive shooter and shooting club administrator Errol Grieve said that the popularity of shooting sports in the district coupled with farming communities generally having high firearm ownership.
“There are about 12 firearms clubs in the district with membership more than 1000,” Mr Grieve said.
“The oldest of the shooting clubs is the Mudgee Rifle Club, which was formed in 1884.
“At that time rifle clubs were considered a defence of the realm.”

Mr Grieve said he was surprised that there were not more firearms collectors in the district and the number of permits indicates the honesty of shooters in this district by complying with the law.
Firearms student and researcher of colonial history Jeff Marr said this district had a rich colonial history involving firearms and that included bushrangers and the rural settlers.
“Firearms ownership was brought on by the gold rushes that started in 1851 at Hargraves and in those days everybody was armed,” Mr Marr said.
“We also have excellent facilities for firearms competitors, such as the Windamere ranges, and to this end this district has produced many champions in shooting sports.”
Mr Marr, a retired police officer, also pointed out that despite the high number of firearms licences, Mudgee has the lowest crime rate in the state.
Mudgee gun dealer Jim Pirie said the numbers reflect strong firearms sporting enthusiasts in the district, the popularity of hunting as a sport and the fact that almost every farmer has a gun as a tool of trade.
“I conduct about 100 firearms licence tests a year,” Mr Pirie said.
“Before a licence is issued applicants have to undertake a two hour course and each applicant is well screened and educated.”
Severe penalties apply for anyone being caught with firearms that are unregistered and the owners unlicensed.

PICTURED BELOW, ERROL GRIEVE;
FIREARMS LICENCES: Errol Grieve is a dedicated researcher of antique firearms and is a heritage target shooter. He is pictured with an Enfield muzzle loading service rifle circa 1858. Note his firearms licence worn in a plastic pouch carried on a necklace. Mg090610/errolgrieve

Haz.

imported post

rodbender wrote:
Why do we not have an Ausie sub-forum?

Hi rodbender.

I havemade273 postssince joing this boardlast April this year. I would probably fill the sub formum in no time at all. Its good to know whats going on regarding firearm ownership in other countries. Its been a struggle here since the firearms ban and buyback but we sporting shooters and hunters who retained our firearms and licences are gaining a little each year with the help of the SSAA and the Hunters and Fishers Party in NSW.

Its pleasing to see the general population Australia and state wideis slowly beginning to realise that an armed society is a safe society. Mudgee has one of the highest rates of firearm ownership per head of population in NSWand also the lowest crime rate. It speaks for itself. Although some members of government still gives ear to the antie groups and makes things difficult for us in general.

Haz.

rodbender

imported post

You do post some interesting stuff, too. I read most, but rarely reply.

As I said here http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/45759.html

The people of Australia need to wake up and start pushing very hard if they want to exercise their right of self defense. In time it will be lost even for the ones that retained it last time.

I also think we need one for Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands,American Samoaand the rest of the U.S. territories.

Haz.

imported post

rodbender wrote:
You do post some interesting stuff, too. I read most, but rarely reply.

As I said here http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/45759.html

The people of Australia need to wake up and start pushing very hard if they want to exercise their right of self defense. In time it will be lost even for the ones that retained it last time.

I also think we need one for Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands,American Samoaand the rest of the U.S. territories.

Hi rodbender.

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. Ilike to let you good people, firearm ownersin the USAknow just how fortunate you are to have the 2nd. Never let them get your firearms. This place has gone down hill rapidly since the firearms ban and buyback. I think we would have won our fighthere if every firearm owner had never handed theirs in. The governmentthreatened to jail us if we hid them and never handed them in. Had we stuck to our gun's, no pun intended, they would have had to jail nearly three quarters of the entire population of 25 million people at the time. Would never have happened would it?

I totally agree with you regardingPuerto Rico, Virgin Islands,American Samoaand the rest of the U.S. territories.You know, I'm considered a red neck over here, dont know why, done nothing but help any and every one whoever asked. As soon as they hear the word gun mentioned, or see one most get skittish? Lol. I was cleaning some handguns after a day at the range and the inlaws dropped in and saw hand guns "dissasembled" on the table and being cleaned. "Ahhhhhh, YOUR GUNS are ON THE TABLE!"One would have thought I had let a rattle snake out of the bag.

Haz.

Haz.

imported post

Hi RB,

"You have rattlesnakes there? I thought the Brownsnake was the one to watch out forin the land ofdown under."

No we dont mate, rattlers are only in our zoo's. Your right, King browns are the one's to keep clear ofhere. I'm thinking American scary snake to make my point.

Haz.