• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hillsdale picnic!!! July 17th

cabman1

imported post

ok got with the regional coordinator he said that July 17th from 1pm till? sounded like a great day for a picnic. It is a Saturday now all we need is a place would love to have it in a park!!! Easy to find!

autosurgeon

imported post

So for the folks from Hillsdale which park should we look at and can one of you look into reserving it and get back to either myself or Cabman?

Hillsdale parks

Mrs. Stocks Park
Coldsprings Park
Keekoos Park
Waterworks Park
Owens Memorial Park
Sandy Beach Park
Fields of Dreams

craigm

imported post

I was at Lewis Emery Park today and there were probably at least 30 people there... some grilling, most fishing, some picnicing. Just a few miles out of downtown Hillsdale.

G Carl Park is right downtown Jonesville at the intersection of M-99 and US-12. The park itself isn't usually that busy, but there is lots of traffic on US-12. Only issue I see is that it's literally across the road from the middle school; the city hall is across the opposite street with the local police less than 1/4 mile away and state police about 1/2 mile away.

Thismay help you decide. Hillsdale and Jonesville are definitely the most high-traffic areas.

lil_freak_66

imported post

might have to do it...

oh,ive been waiting for a chance to ask this on my own behalf....will long arms be welcome???:D(this could potentially be my first event carrying)

i vote jonesville btw.....

craigm

imported post

If it's legal, you have as much of a right to be in the park as anyone else. Just try to think of whether or not that's the image you'd like to portray.

I don't think there's any reserving of the pavilion in Jonesville, but I could be wrong.

cabman1

imported post

I am going to need a resident of jonesville to reserve the park so that we can have restrooms if not a resident they want a 50 dollar deposit

gasgasmi

imported post

I won't be around that weekend so I can't help you. I would make it no long guns. We seldom see anyone OCing a pistol let alone a long gun out here in the sticks. While it is within your legal right to have one it does nothing to promote open carry as it only makes for bad press (imho). The park in Jonesville would certainly be the most visible if that's what you're after. I have no idea how informed the local (Jonesvile) PD is on OC, you also have HCSD and a State Police post nearby. There is a new(ish) veterans memorial in town that's worth a look while you're there.

cabman1

imported post

gasgasmi wrote:
I won't be around that weekend so I can't help you. I would make it no long guns. We seldom see anyone OCing a pistol let alone a long gun out here in the sticks. While it is within your legal right to have one it does nothing to promote open carry as it only makes for bad press (imho). The park in Jonesville would certainly be the most visible if that's what you're after. I have no idea how informed the local (Jonesvile) PD is on OC, you also have HCSD and a State Police post nearby. There is a new(ish) veterans memorial in town that's worth a look while you're there.

Like he said I would prefer no long guns lets make people comfortable with the handguns then we can do the long gun thing

autosurgeon

imported post

cabman1 wrote:
gasgasmi wrote:

Like he said I would prefer no long guns lets make people comfortable with the handguns then we can do the long gun thing

I agree baby steps!

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cabman1 wrote:
ok got with the regional coordinator he said that July 17th from 1pm till? sounded like a great day for a picnic. It is a Saturday now all we need is a place would love to have it in a park!!! Easy to find!

here's an idea LOST NATIONS STATE GAME AREA I've never had a picnic there but they have a free range & it looks like a park see map

craigm

imported post

Lost Nations doesn't get much traffic aside from the hunters and the nuts that use the firing range. Apparently we had militias from 3 different counties going there and shooting sideways with AK-47's while running, then posting videos of it on youtube, so it's now single-load only.

I used to enjoy Lost Nations. Last time I was there we ran into what seemed to be an older veteran who thought he knew something about guns along with two other guys. They were kind enough to take their old liquor bottles and shoot them on the range. Only took them about 200 shots to take out 10 bottles. I won't shoot there any more.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Directions

Lost nations Directions

From west or Hillsdale/Jonesville area- 99 to 34 east to Rumsey Rd south approx 1 mi. When Rumsey meets Reading Rd, take the dirt road west (Trail Rd). The range is about 3/4 mi down the road.
From east or Hudson area - 34 west to Rumsey Rd south.
From southeast or Waldron - take Pittsford Rd north to Reading Rd west. Once on Reading Rd approx 1 mi to reach Rumsey Rd.
From southwest or Pioneer - Take 99 north to Reading Rd east. Stay on Reading Rd approx 5 mi to Rumsey Rd.

The range faces north. To the west of the tables is a skeet range as well. Thanks to all who: pick up their trash, pick up their clay pigeons and stay off private land.

Lost nations is many plots dispersed among private land from Osseo to Pittsford, south of M34. Print a map off the internet. The state game area signs on the land provide you some direction: if they are flat - both sides of the sign is state game land. If the signs are on the post in a 90 degree angle - the land within the 90 degrees is state land.

craigm

imported post

I don't see a reason y'all couldn't go to the range afterward, too. Keep in mind there's only two large benches at the shooting range and on a weekend at least one of them will probably be taken. Closest target's about 20-25 yards. Parking doesn't allow for a lot of cars without parking another in.

rallyonthesteps

imported post

I already messed up and said I could be there that weekend, but checked the calendar and am busy Saturday the 10th and Saturday the 17th.That is probably why I mentioned to have it on a Sunday in a earlier posting. My fault.Is there anyway you fine folks could change dates since it is early in planning. The Saturday of July24th would work for me or most Sundays. I understand if you cant but would really like to come out and learn more. Thanks

rallyonthesteps

imported post

Most pavillions at the parks in Hillsdale county you can rent. If no one is renting them the day you want to use them, its first come first serve. Most are around 100.00. Plenty of parks though.