• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woman files lawsuit against DC for not allowing 2-toned handguns...

Dreamer

imported post

Handgun's Color Leads to Lawsuit
By Martin Weil
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A D.C. woman filed suit in U.S. District Court yesterday, claiming that the city would not let her register a pistol because of its color.

Tracey A. Hanson argued that her application to register a .45-caliber semiautomatic was denied because the gun is not on the California Safe Handgun Roster, which is the standard in the city.

Hanson tried to register a two-tone, stainless steel/black pistol, according to the suit. But the list has that model in olive drab green, dark earth or black, not in two-tone, stainless/black, the suit asserts. Hanson said rejection for that reason "seemed so arbitrary."

The lawsuit, which lists Hanson and two other people as plaintiffs, was filed by Alan Gura, who argued the Supreme Court case that overturned the city's handgun ban. Arbitrary requirements bring "nonsensical results," Gura said. The suit asks that the city be barred from enforcing gun regulations based on the California list.

Peter Nickles, the city's attorney general, said he had not seen the lawsuit and could not discuss its details.But he said he is confident that the D.C. regulations are "completely appropriate" under the Second Amendment.
Correction to This Article
This article on a handgun lawsuit misstated the name of a list of handguns certified for registration in the District. The standard is the California Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale, also known as the California Roster of Handguns Determined Not to Be Unsafe.

Yeah, we all know how unsafe those two-tones semiautos are. The flash of the stainless steel can be used to temporarily blind surveillance cameras, and the matte black finishes can be nearly invisible to x-ray machines, making them easy to smuggle into airports...:banghead:

Tracey Ambeau Hanson, tried to register a Springfield Armory XD-45 Tactical 5" Bi-Tone stainless steel and black handgun. But because the California list only includes that model in Black, Green and Dark Earth models, her registration was bounced...

Is Peter Nickles (and the State of California for that matter) on CRACK? I thought Marion Berry took all teh crackrocks with him when he moved out of the mayors office. I guess he ust have left his Rolodex full of dealers phone numbers...

And this arbitrary list of firearms is based on what criteria exactly? I'll tell you what. It's based on the manufacturers ability and willingness to submit EVERY variant of EVERY firearm they make for testing (which they must pay for!) in order to be included. Thsi is why guns like the standard-issue Para Ordnance P-14.45 ARE on the list, but their super-custom versions like the Todd Jarrett Edition are not.

And a firearm like mine--custom-built from a "gunsmith white" frame and parts of numerous sources by one of the TOP 1911 smiths in the world--would NOT be legal to register because it's a "one-of-a-kind" and not on the California list.

The safety, reliability, and function of a firearm has NOTHING to do with inclusion on or exclusion from this list. It's all about who has enough money to pay for the testing and is willing to ship a truck full of guns to CA for testing (and pay CA to perform that testing).

I'd LOVE to see this woman win her case--it would essentially force DC to drop reliance on the CA Approved list, but because it's a DC case, it would unfortunately have no bearing on cases in CA.

However, knowing the DC courts, I think that her case may never even be heard, and if it is, the courts will

ianto94

imported post

In response to this lawsuit and a similar one filed by the NRA shortly thereafter, DC police under the discretion allowed them by DC law adopted the Massachusettes and Maryland list of handguns as well as the California list. This effectively mootedthe lawsuit.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

either the courts are going to let ridiculous laws like this stand, saying it's a legislative issue, or DC is going to continue to end up paying Mr. Gura some big bucks.

greatsimon

Bull #$%*

So that is about as rediculous as not letting me get tags for a '32 ford because it doesnt have fenders and the factory never painted flames on them.... i mean what part of "shall not be infringed" is so hard to understand?!

M

McX

looks like Chrome Dome and me wont be visiting there any time soon. i am being discriminated against!

Dreamer

The case was settled out and over with. WP Post on Hanson done

Yeah, DC's remedy to the problem was to add the lists that MD and MA use for their "acceptable handgun rosters", as well. Now, there are a couple of states that are paragons of freedom, liberty, and respect for the RKBA if there ever was one... :rolleyes:

What this effectively does is guarantee that rich people--who are buying NEW handguns from dealers--can buy whatever they want...

But if people are on a budget, and want to buy a handgun that is more than 10 years old, or want to buy a handgun that was built from parts by a gunsmith, they are SOL...

DC's "fix" for this situation was to "fix" it so they would be guaranteed that rich and well-connected people won't be suing them in the future.

But it STILL leaves the poor, the un-connected, and those on a budget out in the cold with regards to their RKBA.

What this new law essentially says to the People of DC is "if you aren't rich enough to buy a new gun from a dealer, we don't care if you live or die."

Jim Crow is alive and well in DC...

Last edited:

DCKilla

"We want to make perfect regulations," Nickles said. "Now we have all legitimate guns that don't pose a problem with safety."

Where's the head slap smiley. "Perfect regulation" is no regulation. This guy makes me sick to my stomach.
bigpuke.gif

Last edited: