• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry

Otto

imported post

With a Utah non-resident conceal permit would one be able to OC if desired? The question is mainly focused to the states DE, PA, VA, WV, NC.

virginiatuck

imported post

Otto wrote:
With a Utah non-resident conceal permit would one be able to OC if desired? The question is mainly focused to the states DE, PA, VA, WV, NC.
I guess you're new at this. I'll help you out a little bit, just so far as to point you in the right direction. Obviously, due to the complexity of gun laws from state to state, and the infinite number of possible circumstances that exist, you really need to contact an attorney for advice.

If you look at the open carry map linked above as well, a "gold star" open carry state generally does not require any sort of permit for a person who may lawfully possess firearms, to openly carry those firearms throughout those states; except for certain places in which the carrying or open carrying of firearms is specifically prohibited. Examples of such places may be schools, courtrooms, government buildings, or others.

A permit/license would be required to carry in one of the "licensed open-carry states," which are the color green on the map. A resident permit, formal reciprocity agreement, or statutory recognition would be required for your permit to be valid for carry in those states.

handgunlaw.us is a good, fairly up-to-date source for reciprocity and recognition status for various permits/licenses.

I have yet to find a state whose laws are not available on-line. Those are usually the best resource; if you can wrap your mind around the legalese. As I said before, though, talk to an attorney, or qualified and knowledgeable firearms instructors, for some real help.

The bottom line is that this is not an easy subject. You must spend a lot of time reading laws for yourself and consulting reputable, licensed, qualified, and trained individuals *in person*. That is to say that you can not, or should not, trust your freedom and safety to anyone on this open, public, and free-of-charge forum.

t33j

imported post

In the interest of a more direct answer...
I know you do not need a permit to OC (why would you ever need a permit to OC?
rolleyes.gif
) in VA, WV, NC, or PA. OC is not defined the same in those four places.
It's somewhat dangerous to discuss state laws outside of the state forums.