• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA coming to visit NC

Gunny5821

imported post

Hello ALL,

I am going to be visiting some this summer in your wonderful state and just want to make sure I do things right, so here goes:

1. When I come into NC to visit, is it ok for me to OC?

2. When I come into NC to visit, is it ok for me to CC?

3. When I come into NC to visit, is there any special rules that apply to vehicles while I'min one of these modes of carry?

I appreciate the assistance! By the way, I carry a Sig Sauer P250 Subcompact in a Fobus Evolution Roto Paddle holster. Ammo, Hornady Cusomt 180gr XTP....

Semper Fi.

Gunny

USMC Retired/Disabled

Sahib0120

imported post

Gunny5821 wrote:
Hello ALL,

I am going to be visiting some this summer in your wonderful state and just want to make sure I do things right, so here goes:

3. When I come into NC to visit, is there any special rules that apply to vehicles while I'min one of these modes of carry?

I appreciate the assistance! By the way, I carry a Sig Sauer P250 Subcompact in a Fobus Evolution Roto Paddle holster. Ammo, Hornady Cusomt 180gr XTP....

Semper Fi.

Gunny

USMC Retired/Disabled
Hiya Gunny,

1. Yes so long as you are legally able to have a firearm than you can OC in NC.

2. As long as you have a concealed carry permit than yes you can CC since NC recognizes VA permits.

3. As far as having your firearm in your vehicle, if you have a CC permit, then you are free to have your firearm in your car any way you like loaded or unloaded. If you do not have a CC permit, then you must either keep your firearm in the open (in passenger seat, on the dash board, etc.) or if you have it concealed like as to just transport it, then it must be unloaded, ammo kept separate from the firearm, and the firearm must be kept in a secured place that is not within easy reach ( kept in trunk, secured in glove box, kept in a car safe, etc.).

Also as it is in most States, no firearms on or within 1000 ft of school zones (unless you have a CC permit, then just not on any school grounds themselves), Federal buildings, State Parks, State or Local Government buildings, restruants that serve alcohol, etc.

If I missed anything someone let me know. lol

Hope ya have a good time visiting NC this summer Gunny!

Gunny5821

imported post

Sahib0120 wrote:
Gunny5821 wrote:
Hello ALL,

Semper Fi.

Gunny

USMC Retired/Disabled
Hiya Gunny,

2. As long as you have a concealed carry permit than yes you can CC since NC recognizes VA permits.

3. As far as having your firearm in your vehicle, if you have a CC permit, then you are free to have your firearm in your car any way you like loaded or unloaded. If you do not have a CC permit, then you must either keep your firearm in the open (in passenger seat, on the dash board, etc.) or if you have it concealed then it must be unloaded, ammo kept separate from the firearm, and the firearm must be in a place that is not within easy reach ( kept in trunk, secured in glove box, kept in a car safe, etc.).

Also as it is in most States, no firearms on or within 1000 ft of school zones (unless you have a CC permit, then just not on any school grounds themselves), Federal buildings, State Parks, State or Local Government buildings, restruants that serve alcohol, etc.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if NC recognized VA, but since it does that resolves all of my questions.:celebrate Again Thanks!

Semper Fi,

Gunny

USMC Retired/Disabled

MSC 45ACP

imported post

LONG couple days. Didn't want to upset the Sheeple at W&M Hall for # 1 daughter's graduation, so I CC'd. I think W&M is a state school, so preemption SHOULD apply, right? Sat AM, took son, and 2 out of remaining 3 daughters to Boy Scouts launching model rockets at Fentress OLF. Since that's a Navy base, I didn't OC, but there was no need anyway. It was never far away... ;)

Left Fentress after noon and OC'dat the Subway in Fentress and got a few :shock:there, but no comments. Already had the rest of lunch so we decided to eat "at the next place we found with benches and shade" on the way to the Outer Banks.

We didn't see anything until a couple HOURS later at a rest stop in Currituck, NC. The elderly couple parked next to us from PA seemed to have difficulty eating their lunch at the next table over. They seemed to be rather fascinated with my left hip for some reason (shrugs), but they didn't say anything. Stopped at the WallyWorld across the 50-mile long bridge (it seems that long with you're in bumper-to-bumper traffic doing 2-3 MPH) on the Outer Banks.

I was amazed there was a "highway" on the OB now. Last time I was there was Spring Break, 1983 and the ONLY working traffic signal I remember was in Nags head.

While in Wally World, the only :shock:I noticed were attached to "people that talked funny" with northern accents. I heard one couple say out loud to some other tourists "I don't belive that's legal! Can he do that in here???" I looked around to see if someone's 2 year old was squatting in the aisle, but they were looking at my left hip. No problems from management, even though I saw several of them. No problems at check out, either.

Seemed to be pretty OC-friendly on the OBX. I think we'll make a trip down there mid-week next time. NEVER AGAIN on a SATURDAY!

Resto Guy

imported post

Gunny5821 wrote:
Sahib0120 wrote:
Gunny5821 wrote:
Hello ALL,

Semper Fi.

Gunny

USMC Retired/Disabled
Hiya Gunny,

3. As far as having your firearm in your vehicle, if you have a CC permit, then you are free to have your firearm in your car any way you like loaded or unloaded. If you do not have a CC permit, then you must either keep your firearm in the open (in passenger seat, on the dash board, etc.) or if you have it concealed then it must be unloaded, ammo kept separate from the firearm, and the firearm must be in a place that is not within easy reach ( kept in trunk, secured in glove box, kept in a car safe, etc.).

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if NC recognized VA, but since it does that resolves all of my questions.:celebrate Again Thanks!

Semper Fi,

Gunny

USMC Retired/Disabled
Be aware that (unlike Va.)OC and CC and not legal in establishmentswhere alcoholic beverages are served and consumed.

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

"if you have it concealed then it must be unloaded, ammo kept separate from the firearm"

Not true. Makes no difference in NC if it is loaded or unloaded. See the flyer: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum41/37190.html If you didn't have a VA CHP, you could be charged for having a concealed handgun, even if there was no ammo in the gun or vehicle at all.

Not being argumentative here, just don't want to see some visitor who reads the thread jacked up for carrying a concealed unloaded weapon when he thought he was legal.

But since you have the VA CHP, you are OK anyway.

Sahib0120

imported post

Anthony_I_Am wrote:
"if you have it concealed then it must be unloaded, ammo kept separate from the firearm"

Not true. Makes no difference in NC if it is loaded or unloaded. See the flyer: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum41/37190.html If you didn't have a VA CHP, you could be charged for having a concealed handgun, even if there was no ammo in the gun or vehicle at all.

Not being argumentative here, just don't want to see some visitor who reads the thread jacked up for carrying a concealed unloaded weapon when he thought he was legal.

But since you have the VA CHP, you are OK anyway.
Sorry , I meant that to be for transporting purposes. I'll edit it to clarify.