• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Mexican' carry...

Sonora Rebel

imported post

My wife was shopping in Fryes (Silverbell & Cortaro ~ Marana) 'n spied this guy with his wife and kids. The guy was carrying a pistol (unknown as to what) stuck in his waistband in the middle of his back (no holster) with a t-shirt over it. The t-shirt had ridden up 'n behind the grip... Not the best way to carry. I don't think it even legal w/o a holster. She didn't say anything to him... but I would'a if I'd seen it.

What would you guys do or say had you observed this 'act'?

PavePusher

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
My wife was shopping in Fryes (Silverbell & Cortaro ~ Marana) 'n spied this guy with his wife and kids. The guy was carrying a pistol (unknown as to what) stuck in his waistband in the middle of his back (no holster) with a t-shirt over it. The t-shirt had ridden up 'n behind the grip... Not the best way to carry. I don't think it even legal w/o a holster. She didn't say anything to him... but I would'a if I'd seen it.

I don't recall any legal requirement for a holster, but if you carry that way, you'd probably better have a CWP (currently), as it is arguably at least partially concealed. It's also horribly unsecure.

Not that I've never done a quick waistband tuck from the car holster to hit a walk-up ATM or similar....

:shock::what::uhoh::lol::celebrate

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:

She's sure he didn't have an SOB holster? I have one that I use that is practically impossible to see.

crisisweasel

imported post

PavePusher wrote:[/quote]

I don't recall any legal requirement for a holster, but if you carry that way, you'd probably better have a CWP (currently), as it is arguably at least partially concealed.  It's also horribly unsecure.

I doubt I'd notice or care except to the extent that if a gun like that should go conspicuously crashing to the floor like it did with that guy in Wal-mart (what is it about Wal-mart and guns, anyway?) it'd become, like, a whole media event.

mFonz77

imported post

Well, FWIW, my .02 is the guy was clearly an idiot. Anyone from "the community" doesn't carry like that. Anyone who is former LEO or .mil sure the hell doesn't. My guess is he was one of those "casual shoppers" who knows just enough about AZ law to be dangerous (literally and figuratively). Condition Orange for sure until you or he left the store.

mrh2008

imported post

mFonz77 wrote:
[ Condition Orange for sure until you or he left the store.
[/quote]

I was embarrassed to ask before, thought I'd figure it out on my own... I still don't know so I'll throw the question out there , will you or someone else fill me in on "carry conditions" I've seen them as numbers and colors but can't figure out what is what. Thanks in advance

mFonz77

imported post

mrh2008 wrote:
mFonz77 wrote:
I was embarrassed to ask before, thought I'd figure it out on my own... I still don't know so I'll throw the question out there , will you or someone else fill me in on "carry conditions" I've seen them as numbers and colors but can't figure out what is what. Thanks in advance

I've been there-- Googling it is kind of like going into a black hole and there is not much out there on the subject. Basically (and other members please add/correct as necessary):

Condition White - this is akin to "No Awareness". This is the condition you would most likely be at inside your own home or other secured area (ie, place with armed guards paid to protect you, etc...). You are not concerned with your surroundings and may or may not be armed (but you have easy and timely access to armament, such as a pistol in a desk drawer or by your bedstand, etc...)

Condition Yellow - standard state of "General Awareness" of your surroundings. You are aware of where you are, where you came from, where you're going, who is around you, and what they're doing (or not doing). Basically as soon as you step outside you should be in this mode. You are constantly scanning your environment for possible reasons to elevate to Orange.

Condition Orange - elevated state of "Specific Awareness" You see something that COULD constitute a threat and you formulate plans. Such as , you see someone walking strangely down the street with one hand inside his/her shirt, so you start to watch that person closely (while also maintaining general awareness of the rest of your environment). You formulate a plan with a SPECIFIC action that would cause you to elevate to Red, such as "If that person draws a weapon, I will draw mine and fire."

Condition Red - "Fight" or "Emergency" This condition should ONLY be entered into as a response to a specific trigger you have decided upon while in Condition Orange. This is the state where you are actually using physical or deadly force and/or evading and escaping.

The states can be shifted into and out of frequently but ALWAYS go in order, IE, you can't go from White to Red without passing through yellow and orange, even if only for a split second.

ETA: Just got done writing this, and decided to google again, and found this:
http://www.selfdefenseresource.com/general/articles/awareness-color-codes.php

Hope this helps.

ETA: This one's better: http://www.teddytactical.com/SharpenBladeArticle/4_States of Awareness.htm

Also, don't be afraid to ask questions, friend! That's how you get better. No one is born knowing anything!

*1911_man*

imported post

He could have had a well concealed IWB holster, few weeks ago i was at a gun show, and the holster guy showed me all kinds of IWB holsters, quite a few of them were so good, you couldnt tell there was even a holster on him.

mFonz77

imported post

>meso.40< wrote:
He could have had a well concealed IWB holster, few weeks ago i was at a gun show, and the holster guy showed me all kinds of IWB holsters, quite a few of them were so good, you couldnt tell there was even a holster on him.

Possible. However, IWBs are usually not recommended for OC due to lack of retention.

Have you got any links to these products though? I'd LOVE an IWB without visible belt clips, if such a product exists...

*1911_man*

imported post

well chances are he was going for CC.
And ill see if i can find a few for you. They seem to be pretty secure, although i never tried them

*1911_man*

imported post

mFonz77 wrote:
>meso.40< wrote:

Possible. However, IWBs are usually not recommended for OC due to lack of retention.

Have you got any links to these products though? I'd LOVE an IWB without visible belt clips, if such a product exists...
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ges?q=invisible+holster&um=1&hl=en&tbs=isch:1

Goofy, but invisible.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...es?q=belly+band+holster&um=1&hl=en&tbs=isch:1

This one the guy said you could carry on the small of your back, so it is more comfortable

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

&gt;meso.40&lt; wrote:
mFonz77 wrote:
>meso.40< wrote:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/9/8/9/8/2/4/webimg/221807209_o.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.e-junkie.com/47863/product/63350.php&usg=__L6VW-zgsBmSRAHZSEOPzFWW0bbI=&h=666&w=1024&sz=98&hl=en&start=13&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=M76QwhQY9pVA8M:&tbnh=98&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dinvisible%2Bholster%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26tbs%3Disch:1

Goofy, but invisible.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://bellybandccw.com/images/B0048-BellyBand.jpg&imgrefurl=http://bellybandccw.com/&usg=__e7nkg00chR19ou2fL7UxQEpnETw=&h=322&w=500&sz=50&hl=en&start=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=2R2f2hPRJy1zOM:&tbnh=84&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbelly%2Bband%2Bholster%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26tbs%3Disch:1

This one the guy said you could carry on the small of your back, so it is more comfortable

Wow, the 2nd one evenallows for an 'automatic pistol' or a revolver, but not a semi-auto?

"It has two slots: one for an automatic pistol and one for a revolver."

Michigander

imported post

While certainly not ideal, I would argue Mexi carry to be safe with many heavy DA trigger guns. But it is stupid looking. :uhoh:

mrh2008

imported post

mFonz77 wrote:
mrh2008 wrote:
mFonz77 wrote:

I've been there-- Googling it is kind of like going into a black hole and there is not much out there on the subject. Basically (and other members please add/correct as necessary):

Also, don't be afraid to ask questions, friend! That's how you get better. No one is born knowing anything!

Thank you very much! Was great info for me, now i know.:)

azcdlfred

imported post

mrh2008 wrote:
The color code that mfonz77 described is a continuum of mental awareness (White to Black).

There is also a set of numeric carry "conditions of pistol readiness" that you don't see mentioned much anymore.

Condition 1 - "Cocked and locked." Chambered round, safety on and hammer cocked (applies primarily to 1911's). For your typical non-1911, it's one in the chamber and ready to fire, but with whatever manualsafety you have on the gun fully engaged.

Condition 2 - Gun is decocked, or "hammer down." Most modern pistols with a visbile hammer have a decock mode. Usually the safety lever has a dual purpose.

Condition 3 - Hammer down on an emtpy chamber, but you still have a magazine seated in the gun. You'll need to chamber a round as part of getting ready to fire.

Condition 4 - Hammer down on an unloaded gun without any magazine in the gun. Basically an expensive rock. Jokenly called "Embassy Carry" because that's how the Marines at embassies carried (do they still?)their sidearms.

Depending on your pistol, Condition 1 or 2is thepreferred method to carry. Many models with decockers won't let you engage the safety unless the gun is decocked, so condition 1 is out of the question.

Fred