• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

It is a Great day Gentlemen (and Ladies)

USMC1911

imported post

Wife just told me at dinner that she wants to become armed and wants to OC ! :what:YES, there is a God ! Now, I have to figure out what Weapon/Caliber for her. This is gonna be so much fun ! Wheel gun or Auto? Man am I looking forward to this. I'll have to take her to the range and practise, practise, practise ! What a GREAT day ! :celebrate

69Charger

imported post

Can you say
DESERT EAGLE?
Dave:)

Just cuz I always wanted to shoot 1.
Ha.

Son_of_Perdition

imported post

Nice:)

Can I suggest a Springfield Armory EMP? The small grip fits nice in Lady's hands and the 9mm is affective without taking her arm off with the kick. And it looks nice on a gal's hip. Something she can accessorize with... tongue in cheek:lol:

EMP.jpg

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Great news!!!! My wife loves her Smith and Wesson compact 9 M&P!!!!!! Matter of fact so do I Too. It has adjustable grips so you can customize the feel a bit. You also can change the mag drops if she happens to be left handed.

USMC1911

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Great news!!!! My wife loves her Smith and Wesson compact 9 M&P!!!!!! Matter of fact so do I Too. It has adjustable grips so you can customize the feel a bit. You also can change the mag drops if she happens to be left handed.
We just switched over to the S&W M&P at work from the H&K. I just qualed on it and I like it. Trigger is smooth and lite. The inerchangable grips are nice, I'll let her handle one and see if she likes it.

USMC1911

imported post

I have OC'ed 24/7 for the last few months, I post on here almost every day,we talk about OC/CC all the time, she see me getting ready to OC/CC every day, I think it just kinda sank in. All I can say is "About time & Thank God" !

A couple that OC's together , stays together ? :celebrate

amlevin

imported post

USMC1911 wrote:
Now, I have to figure out what Weapon/Caliber for her.
Biggest mistake you can make is telling her what weapon or caliber she should like.

Take her to a range that rents guns and let her shoot as many different ones as possible. One of them will fit her best, being most comfortable for her to hold and shoot well. SHE will tell you which one is best for her based on this experience.

If you try and push her into something YOU like, in the end all that will happen is your family owns another gun and she isn't going to carry it. This advice comes from experience and I'll wager that I'm not alone.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

You had better make this all about her or she will loose interest fast.

It is like you are wanting a large 4X4 truck built to the hilt and she comes home with a VW Rabbit from the 70's and says Look What I Got For You Dear !

USMC1911

imported post

Recieved, Understood, Will Comply !

It will be HER decision on what make/modle/caliber.

Thanks for the advice ! :cool:

Desert Eagle is out, ... :banghead:

daddy4count

imported post

I took my wife shooting and had her try out the .45 first... figured it would be easier to step down than up as she was learning.

The grin that crossed her face after sending the first round down range was enough to tell me our search was over.

And we share ammo!

;)

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

daddy4count wrote:
I took my wife shooting and had her try out the .45 first... figured it would be easier to step down than up as she was learning.

The grin that crossed her face after sending the first round down range was enough to tell me our search was over.

And we share ammo!

;)
There will be some that will turn and run as to how loud and how much recoil it will have, I have had the position start off small and let them work their way up at their pace.
Some will just naturally stay with small calibers.

You are very fortunate ;)

Semper Paratus

imported post

My wife started off with a Walther P22. after shooting it and getting confertable she wants to step up to a larger gun. So the .22 will be great for the kids to start off with. I was opposed to a .22 at first thought-it too small. Then I realized that it was about her and her comfort level.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Semper Paratus wrote:
My wife started off with a Walther P22. after shooting it and getting confertable she wants to step up to a larger gun. So the .22 will be great for the kids to start off with. I was opposed to a .22 at first thought-it too small. Then I realized that it was about her and her comfort level.
Bulls eye

Jayd1981

imported post

My mom started getting into shooting this year with a little nudging from me and my step dad (she has been pretty anti-gun her whole life). She has had a hard time with any recoil really. And has is pretty much clinging to her P22 now. By starting her with a .45 you could end up with the same result. Atleast my mom is no longer anti-gun and my step dad is still working on trying to get her comfortable with a 9mm.

daddy4count

imported post

My wife is 5 ft 2 and 110 lbs... she loves shooting my XD-45 (tactical, full frame)

Her only complaint is that after a few boxes of ammo she develops a light bruise on her hand... I'm sure she would enjoy a lighter recoil as well... but so far she still has a great time shooting with me.

USMC1911

imported post

I have .22's and .45's right now, she likes shooting the .22's but I do not want to scare her with the recoil of a .45 I will start small and work up. I believe that one should carry/shoot the largest caliber you can do so accurately and comfortably. Once she finds her gun/cal, we will practise and practise and practise until she becomes proficient. Thanks for all the input !

k.rollin

imported post

If she ends up with the M&P, I highly recommend the aftermarket parts from Randy Lee at Apex Tactical Specialties. I installed their replacement sear and striker block in my full size M&P 40 and the trigger is phenomenal now, when compared to stock. It has a much shorter and more distinct reset, the pull isn't gritty anymore, and it dropped the pull weight from about 6 lbs down to about 4 lbs. If 4 lbs is too light for a carry gun in your opinion, they also offer a spring kit with the upgrades I mentioned for a little more coin, and it will give you all the other benefits with a 5-6 lb pull. For about $60 and less than 30 minutes of work that anyone competent enough to follow directions can do, it is well worth the improvement.