• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trifold

stanr2

imported post

Hello just wondering if I can get a pack of trifolds to hand out while out in public?

I know I can print from site but they don't look as well as the one available at the differerent events.

I don't mind buying them just let me know what the cost is and where I can get them.

Regards,

Stanr2

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yeah great question. I would be glad to buy some too; I know this outfit runs on a tight budget, hell I'm still waiting for my membership card. Not complaining mind you...the tin foil card I made seems to be working fine & Savage.Detroit says it matches my MOC hat I also fabbed up....hey I get great radio reception to with it....:p

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Contact Jeff Sayers, he is the president of MOC. Michigan Open Carry, he will either get some for you, or put you into contact with someone who can.

The searchbox in the upper right, click the box under that, the search by username one, type in JeffSayers, and then click on his name. You will see a menu that has contact options, then go from there.

cmdr_iceman71

imported post

Yeah I grabbed a few of the colored trifolds at the picnic in Warren last month. Yes, theydolook mighty nifty. What I've done is taken the colored original trifoldandjust run offseveral black and white double sided copies, since all the info contained thereinis fitted perfectlyfor a standard 8x11 sheet of paper anyway.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

We have them as a download on the MOC, inc. home page. http://www.miopencarry.org/moc_files/brochure.pdf

Also below is a letter format from a few years ago, still has the basics and can be printed on letter size paper. Cut and paste and format how you want.

[align=center]YOU CAN OPENLY CARRY A HANDGUN IN MICHIGAN[/align]

[align=left]1) Any law abiding citizen of the State of Michigan who legally owns a handgun may openly carry (in a holster) said firearm in all places not explicitly exempt by law with or without a CPL. Private property rules over-ride state law in regards to firearm possession.[/align]
[align=left]MSP Legal Update Newsletter[/b]: MSP Legal Update Newsletters: April 2007 and June 2008: Did You Know: …It is not illegal under Michigan law to openly carry a pistol…...

PLACES off limits to firearms without a CPL: Sec. 234d [/b](1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following: a) A Bank[/b]. b) A church[/b]. c) A court[/b]. d) A theatre[/b]. e) A sports arena.[/b] f) A day care center[/b]. g) A hospital[/b]. h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act[/b].

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

b) A peace officer.

c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.[/b]

d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

2) If you don’t have a CPL, you must transport your handgun as prescribe by law.
[/b]
Michigan[/b] State[/b] Police Web Site[/b]. Transporting a pistol in a motor vehicle?

Answer A person is now permitted to transport a pistol for a lawful purpose[/b] if the owner or occupant of the vehicle is the registered owner of the firearm and the pistol is unloaded and in a closed case in the trunk of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a trunk, the pistol may be in the passenger compartment of the vehicle unloaded and inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

[/b]3) No local ordinance concerning firearm possession is enforceable due to Michigan’s preemption law.
[/b]
[/b]In 1990, the Michigan legislature enacted MCL 123.1102 which provides, in pertinent part: A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

THE MICHIGAN]COURT of APPEALS CONCLUDED[/b]: April 29, 2003 9:10 am. v No. 242237 In sum, we conclude that § 1102 is a statute that specifically imposes a prohibition on local units of government from enacting and enforcing any ordinances or regulations pertaining to the transportation and possession of firearms, and thus preempts any ordinance or regulation of a local unit of government concerning these areas.[/align]
[align=left]Further, we conclude that the specific language of the 2000 amendments to MCL 28.421 et seq., particularly §§ 5c and 5o, which were adopted more than a decade after the enactment of § 1102, do not repeal § 1102 or otherwise reopen this area to local regulation of the carrying of firearms.17 Accordingly, we hold that the Ferndale ordinance is preempted by state law and, consequently, we reverse.

MCRGO v. Ferndale[/b]: The Michigan Court of Appeals held that local units of government may not impose restrictions upon firearms possession.

4) Brandishing and disturbing the peace are not an offense while lawfully openly carrying a firearm.
[/b]
ADVISORY NOTE[/b]: Though this section on disturbing the peace does not deal with firearms, due to the nature of this code, this law has been cited by officers to suppress or discourage lawful open carry. Since a person who is not licensed to carry concealed MUST open carry their firearms on foot in order to avoid criminal charge, nor is there any duty for anyone licensed to conceal their handgun, open carry is not disorderly conduct. The open carrying of firearms is not by itself threatening, nor does it cause a hazardous or physically offensive condition.

BRANDISHING[/b] Opinion No. 7101 February 6, 2002:[/b]…In the absence of any reported Michigan appellate court decisions defining "brandishing," it is appropriate to rely upon dictionary definitions…..the term brandishing is defined as: "1. To wave or flourish menacingly, as a weapon. 2. To display ostentatiously.]A menacing or defiant wave or flourish."[/b] This definition comports with the meaning ascribed to this term by courts of other jurisdictions…the court recognized that in federal sentencing guidelines, "brandishing" a weapon is defined to mean "that the weapon was pointed or waved about, or displayed in a threatening manner." Applying these definitions to your question, it is clear that a reserve police officer, regardless whether he or she qualifies as a "peace officer," when carrying a handgun in a holster in plain view, is not waving or displaying the firearm in a threatening manner. Thus, such conduct does not constitute brandishing a firearm in violation of section 234e of the Michigan Penal Code. It is my opinion, therefore, that…by carrying a handgun in a holster that is in plain view, does not violate section 234e of the Michigan Penal Code, which prohibits brandishing a firearm in public.[/b]

5) A person openly carrying a firearm on foot in a legal manner when approached by a police officer and questioned where the only reason for the questioning is because of the openly carried firearm need not give that officer their name and address.No license or ID is required to openly carry a firearm. It is your option to provide ID/CPL.

[/b][/b]ADVISORY NOTE[/b]: Each situation is different. We recommend you cooperate with all lawful questions and requests. Ask the officer if the reason you are being detained is for the legal open carry of a firearm. After giving your name and address, ask if you are free to go, ask if you are being detained. If they continue to ask questions about ID and why you are carrying a gun, repeat the question, am I free to go? Am I being detained? If the situation escalates ask for a supervisor. Remember the officer can arrest you for anything, don’t resist the arrest. After an illegal arrest you may have legal options you can employ.

[/b]6) An AG opinion, the MSP and Senator Prusi stated that a person with a CPL can carry a firearm openly in the exempted areas listed in MCL 750.234d. For example, with permission from the owner you can openly carry a handgun in a bar, sports arena, etc.
[/b]
Opinion No. 7097 January 11, 2002… A person licensed by this state… to carry a concealed weapon….By its express terms, section 234d prohibits certain persons from carrying a firearm in the enumerated places but explicitly exempts from its prohibition “[a] person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.” Thus, any person licensed to carry a concealed pistol, including a private investigator, is exempt from the gun-free zone restrictions imposed by section 234d of the Penal Code and may therefore possess firearms while on the types of premises listed in that statute.

“Your analysis is correct.Non-CPL pistol free zones do not apply to CPL holders. The CPL pistol free zones only apply to CPL holders carrying a concealed pistol. Therefore, a CPL holder may openly carry a pistol in Michigan's pistol free zones.”
Sincerely, Sgt. Thomas Deasy, Michigan State Police Executive Resource Section, (517) 336-6441
[/align]
[align=left]“…My office has contacted the Michigan State Police legislative liaison and has received some answers to share with you. According to the liaison, it is legal to openly carry a firearm in a "Pistol Free Zone" if you are a licensed CPL holder. I was advised that your information was correct that MCL 28.425o and MCL 750-234d permit this activity. I was informed that there was no other additional relevant laws regarding this matter…” Michael A Prusi, State Senator 38th District"[/b]

ADVISORY NOTE[/b]: Before carrying a handgun we recommend that you become familiar with all state and federal laws in regards to firearm laws and the use of deadly force. Taking a self defense/firearm course is recommended. Michigan has a self defense act PA No. 309 July 18, 2006 that states you do not have to retreat from a threat, but you must meet the legal requirements before you engage in the use of deadly force.[/b]

[/align]

[align=left]*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research on the subject of open carry in Michigan. You are responsible in determining the accuracy of any information listed above. If you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law. http://www.michiganopencarry.org[/b]

[/align]

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

stanr2 wrote:
Hello just wondering if I can get a pack of trifolds to hand out while out in public?

I know I can print from site but they don't look as well as the one available at the differerent events.

I don't mind buying them just let me know what the cost is and where I can get them.

Regards,

Stanr2
Guys, I think he's asking for the slick glossy ones that I too have seen at some events. Is there an official printer/print shop that makes these for MOC? I would like to give them out in my area as they look much more professional than the print at home versions. I know there are costs involved. If this is someone doing this on their own can you put me in touch with them for instructions?

RandyK

imported post

Hey stanr2, I have a few hundred trifolds I keep in my truck almost all the time. I have family at 21 mile and Jefferson I visit often. I will be there this weekend. If you want to pm me your info I would be happy to drop some off to you no charge.

G9MMOS, I can't say I get to Taylor too often, but if you wanted to set up some kind of meet halfway between you and Warren, I would be happy to bring some.

Thanks, Randy

Deputy SE Coordinator, MOC

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

RandyK wrote:
Hey stanr2, I have a few hundred trifolds I keep in my truck almost all the time. I have family at 21 mile and Jefferson I visit often. I will be there this weekend. If you want to pm me your info I would be happy to drop some off to you no charge.

G9MMOS, I can't say I get to Taylor too often, but if you wanted to set up some kind of meet halfway between you and Warren, I would be happy to bring some.

Thanks, Randy

Deputy SE Coordinator, MOC

Thanks Randy! Are you going to make the Marysville picnic? If so I'd love to snag some there from you. If not I'm sure I'll see you at a picnic soon. In the meantime I'll follow the suggestion above & get some done at kinko's or another printer. Thanks again to all who offered guidance. As usual OCers Rock!:D

RandyK

imported post

Too bad I didn't see your ammo post earlier or I would have made the trip to Taylor and just swapped you for some trifolds. Oh well. I will be on a camping trip the weekend of the Marysville picnic but I will try andsend a bunch with sprinklerguy28 and scot623.