• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How common, uncommon, is OC out in the sticks?

CA_Coyote

imported post

Well, it is starting to look very solid- our planned relocation to the countryside outside of Fallon is about 7 weeks off.

Since we are getting acreage, will be pasturing animals, and have a police response time int he half hour range (on a good day. we're kinda out there) - I'm going to upgrade my "house carry" to a larger revolver from my pocket auto.

But, since I'm moving to an OC friendly state, I guess I'm just wondering, how common, uncommon is it out away from the reno/carson or vegas corridors? I noticed one OC on various trips out to Fallon, at the local ranch supply store. I may have missed some, but a large frame smith with a 6 inch barrel (recognizable since I have one) on a slot/loop belt isn't something that slips by your eyes.

I intend to OC rather an go concealed simply because I feel it's more socially responsible, but that's a whole other subject

gunrunner1911

imported post

Common I would say NO.

I would think the question to ask is "What is the response to OC and how is it handled?"

Most everywhere outside of the larger cities it is not unusual to see OC and it is not regarded as anything to be suspect of. Most won't give it a second glance unless it's something of interest to them or strikingly obvious. ie an original colt SA in a fancy gunslingers rig or Desert Eagle 50 in there Gold Tigerstripe finish. I was stopped in Virginia City by one of the local "gunfighters" because of the Bisley grip on my 44 Vaquero caught his eye. It was a pleasant converstion. Most people will not be carrying OC. It won't look like a Vegas Strip meet and greet at the local Walmart. You will still have the occasional run in with LE. My friend had one coming back from a cowboy action shoot while OCing. Nothing came of it but he had to deal with the officer. I would say just go about your business and enjoy life. I doubt you'll have any troubles.

Welcome to NV!

CA_Coyote

imported post

When I was a teen in Scottsdale, back in the early to mid 80s, it wasn't common - in the majority sense- to see OC, but it wasn't comment-worthy (except to canadian snowbirds). People have ranches, people carry.

And honestly, I'm not planning on walking around with an IPSC combat rig or anything.

I've been debating which way I'm going to go on EDC, I have a VERY easy to carry mauser, but it's not very utilitarian in the sense of taking a coyote or feral dog off the pasture or getting a venomous snake near the house.

I'm looking at either one of my 6 inch revolvers- granted, they are big enough that you don't skip over them with your eye, but they aren't "black guns". They are "cowboy" I guess.

LE encounters would be the biggest prospective issue- I generally like to avoid police notice just because once they start hunting they dig and dig and dig and try to "work you" until they have some reason to do something. (this isn't universal, but happens often enough, at least in the coastal states I've lived in out west)

I do plan to introduce myself professionally to the local LE agencies once we move- I make custom gear - some of which LEOs carry. That might help some at least in the sense that I won't be John Doe.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
imported post

At your place, I figure it's going to be pretty common. ;)

Around town, common enough to not worry about it.

I'm just outside a fairly new bedroom community north of Reno. I carry most of the time. It gets looks, but that isn't a problem for me.

CA_Coyote

imported post

yeah, around the house and the countryside it will be common enough. I don't figure it will be a huge problem running to harmon junction for eggs or anything. I don't know how often I'll even be going into Fallon proper. I prefer having people over to running around bars or whatever for socializing.

wrightme

imported post

I live NW of town in a small county subdivision, and typically do yard work OC, and walk the dog carrying (open or concealed, depending upon the weather). I think I am the only one in my area doing so. The neighbor spoke to me several times, and he mentioned "if the SHTF, I am moving my family in with you!" :celebrate

merle

imported post

In my neck of the woods (Stateline & Carson City) I haven't seen anyone OC in the past few years.

Unless you count the folks who go shooting on 207 south of Genoa by the hot springs. I see people shooting right off of the road almost every weekend. Can't hear them at 55 MPH but there's anywhere from 5-15 people in different groups.

The Big Guy

imported post

I spent some time this last spring up in the Fernley area and OC everywhere. The only comment was a guy at the bank who stopped me to talk about some upcoming anti 2A legislation. Other than that, no onegave meso much as a glance. We made a couple stops in Fallon and a few other places on the way back to Henderson and hadno problems.

TBG

Judge.410

imported post

I live 20mi. north of Sparks on 40 acres. Everyday I strap on my "Judge" to feed the chickens and pigs.....change sprinklers.....do tractor work....ride down to mail box....work in the shop.....etc. When I go to town I change my "Judge" for my "Kimber 1911" sometimes OC and sometimes CC . It's very nice here in Nevada. I strap on my "Judge" just like pullin on my boots. Enjoy the "FREEDOM".....We all know it came with a price !

prairie 360

imported post

I was in Fallon a couple of weeks ago, OC , got a haircut. No problems at all. I routinely OC in Winnemucca. I have done so around all manner of LEO, no problems. The same for Caliente. Ely, Tonopah, and Wells are some other places, no comments, no one seemed to care. I have been asked a time or two if I'm "off duty".

gunrunner1911

imported post

Soilent I believe you and I are neighbors. I live in the valley near the BLM Wild Horse facility. You have probibley seen me around and just didn't know it. It's not hard to miss my company truck. Yellow H1 Hummer.

CA_Coyote

imported post

This is actually more response than I was expecting! I mean, I know the 2nd district is big in area, but there's not really that many people (especially compared to the coastal areas of the nation)

Judge.410

imported post

Yes, Gunrunner1911......I see that yellow Hummer on the road ....Neighbors we are!! Good to know there are a few fellow PATRIOTS close by.

jfrey123

imported post

Hmmm, I just saw that yellow Hummer today for the first time and most certainly did a double take. I like it.

OC isn't common in the sticks by my mortal observation. Most of the time I'll OC if I'm out 4x4ing in the desert and I have yet to run into another who wasn't simply target shooting on the BLM.

Teufelhund

Greetings all ,
I am new to the forum and live out on Pioneer rd area, I open carry when out and about my property mainly because I have to shoo away those that seem to think it is ok to hunt on private property out here.. So I either have my .45 or an AK near by.

If you have to climb over 2 sets of barbed wire you would think that would be a tip off..

But anyway...

I have been thinking about OC here as of late as with the drug problem, rampant gun theft and the gangs now, it seems that the powers that be have applied the "Ignore the problem, or do not acknowledge it and it does not exist" approach.

I have several friends on multiple departments here, and asked a former Deputy who is now working for a different agency about it.. he hesitated and said... well you can but we do not endorse it.

I was like you can not endorse it all you want but it does not make it any more less legal to carry.... he laughed and said well you might get harassed about it lol...

I often think about the concept of,

Open carry is perfectly legal, but then you have to go get a permit to conceal which is illegal..... So you are deterred from doing the legal to asking permission and getting a paper to do that which is illegal...

Bureaucratic trapping boggles the mind...

timf343

Campaign Veteran
Greetings all ,
I was like you can not endorse it all you want but it does not make it any more less legal to carry.... he laughed and said well you might get harassed about it lol...

I know he's your buddy so you can do what you like, but if a police officer were to laugh and tell me that my lawful activity might get me harassed (by officers), I'd file an internal affairs complaint. And if I actually do get harassed, I'd file another one.

wrightme

Welcome to fallon (well, welcome from Fallon to the forums).

Carry On. If you do get harassed, file. If someone "threatens" that you may be harassed, file.

If you want a TRUE eye-opener, speak to the SFA's head CCW instructor. :)

Greetings all ,
I am new to the forum and live out on Pioneer rd area, I open carry when out and about my property mainly because I have to shoo away those that seem to think it is ok to hunt on private property out here.. So I either have my .45 or an AK near by.

If you have to climb over 2 sets of barbed wire you would think that would be a tip off..

But anyway...

I have been thinking about OC here as of late as with the drug problem, rampant gun theft and the gangs now, it seems that the powers that be have applied the "Ignore the problem, or do not acknowledge it and it does not exist" approach.

I have several friends on multiple departments here, and asked a former Deputy who is now working for a different agency about it.. he hesitated and said... well you can but we do not endorse it.

I often think about the concept of,

Open carry is perfectly legal, but then you have to go get a permit to conceal which is illegal..... So you are deterred from doing the legal to asking permission and getting a paper to do that which is illegal...

Bureaucratic trapping boggles the mind...

chrsjhnsn

I never see anyone open carry

I've gotten questions from some, a Californicator said "he doesn't know why people need AK47's" even though I carry a glock. The one comment from the local sheriff was "you know you need a ccw to conceal,right"? but that was it.