• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How common, uncommon, is OC out in the sticks?

Jared

Well, it is starting to look very solid- our planned relocation to the countryside outside of Fallon is about 7 weeks off.

Since we are getting acreage, will be pasturing animals, and have a police response time int he half hour range (on a good day. we're kinda out there) - I'm going to upgrade my "house carry" to a larger revolver from my pocket auto.

But, since I'm moving to an OC friendly state, I guess I'm just wondering, how common, uncommon is it out away from the reno/carson or vegas corridors? I noticed one OC on various trips out to Fallon, at the local ranch supply store. I may have missed some, but a large frame smith with a 6 inch barrel (recognizable since I have one) on a slot/loop belt isn't something that slips by your eyes.

I intend to OC rather an go concealed simply because I feel it's more socially responsible, but that's a whole other subject

I've open carried in Nevada a few times without incident. I carried in Vegas, no issues. I've carried on U.S. 395 up past Walker Lake, no issues at gas stations or pit stops. I've open carried in Douglas County and Washoe County with no issues. I open carried at Bruno's in Gerlach. I've open carried in Carson City, I got a couple of looks at the Best Buy at the base of U.S. 50, but no one said anything.

Watch out in Nevada for Indian Reservations. According to Public Law 280, they are not a "mandatory" state like California or Wisconsin. I know that Pyramid Lake prohibits firearms without a tribal permit. Even though Indian Reservations are federal juristictions, I guess the 2nd amendment doesn't apply (not yet anyway).

In all fairness, the Pyramid Lake PD were extremely friendly, but I did ask about firearms and they are a no go.

You can now open carry in the State Park System (would have been WONDERFUL when I was in Lake Tahoe) over the summer, but it's a new change (and welcomed). I could be mistaken, but I think Clark County is still playing games over carry in their county parks. It's legal, but last I heard, the bureaucrats don't care.

prairie 360

I don't know about the Reno-Las Vegas areas. but I have open carried extensively in a few Nevada towns with no comments (except positive) and no problems with local law enforcement, Lovelock, Winnemucca (always) Fallon, Tonopah, Gabbs, Elko, Wells, Ely, Caliente, Paradise Valley, Middlegate, Carver's, (not sure if the last two qualify as towns, but they are the places I prefer) some I was just passing through, most though, I was there for several days working.

Several times I was noticed by some flavor of Law Enforcement, none ever said anything. Except for one deputy sheriff who told me he would die for the 2nd amendment. He also cautioned me about "if the bad guy sees you are armed, he will shoot you first."

I carried some in Mesquite but mostly I was creeped out by the place.

For me,and I dislike the necessity, it is a political act as much as anything else. I would rather carry concealed but I can't bring myself to get permission. I concealed carried for years in Denver, especially when I was with my S.O. without a "permit". Of course here in Nevada it is, I understand, a felony to do so.