• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger SP101 - questions

usnsubmarine

imported post

Hi, I recently purchased a Ruger SP101 2" Revolver, Used. I noticed when I got it home that the little piece of metal thats below the cylinder catches the tail end of the cartridges when I try to eject them. Can I take a dremel to this and sand it down so the cartridges will clear it? It also seems to kind of grab at the cylinder when spinning it if the muzzle isnt pointed downward.

Also - is the cylinder release supposed to be kind of stiff? I have to apply more pressure on the cylinder while pressing the lever then I remember on other revolvers.

Whats a good way to buff out the scratches on the gun to give it a newer looking finish?

Aside of these problems, this little gun is amazingly accurate, I'm in love.

vettemanc486

imported post

No do not grind that piece down, it keeps the cylinder from falling out. When you disassemble the gun and slide the part out that the cylinder is on, the cyliner will just slide off. Look up sp101 disassembly on youtube you will understand what I mean

Yeah I am pretty happy with the accuracy of mine. The DOA on mine took a little getting used to however.Some people complain about the weight but I find it to be a good CCW for me. Fun to shoot as well.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

My primary carry gun is an SP-101. I also noticed the problem with cartridges getting stuck when you try to eject them. Sometimes it would even slip under the ejection rod end and I'd have to carefully pull it out. I did end up sanding mine, but only to smoothen the sharp edge. You don't want to take too much metal off or the cylinder will fall out. Also when you eject, make sure the cylinder is fully swung out/open before you push the ejector rod out. This will minimize your problem.

As far as other finishing touches, I like the gun mostly as it is. I sanded the trigger a bit to take off the sharp edge, and I put a night sight on. Little scratches here and there add character and don't bother me at all. The stiffness will work itself out usually. Just takes time and it doesn't hurt if you play with it while watching TV. :)

If you're looking for something unique, check out http://www.geminicustoms.com/RugerServices.htm
They do some awesome work. You could also find someone local who might do similar finishes.

MamaLiberty

imported post

I carried my Ruger SP101 .357 for years. Bought it new and had only one problem. The "hand" was a little rough and interfered with the advancement of the cylinder sometimes. I took it to a gunsmith and got it smoothed out, as well as having him put in a 5 lb. trigger to replace the 7lb that came with it.

I've had occasional problems dumping the used brass, but it is always because I did not rotate the cylinder out completely and then hold the muzzle straight up before pushing the ejector. Put your fingers throught the open action all the way to hold the cylinder completely open throughout the procedure. Then reverse your wrist and hold the muzzle staraight down to reload. Let gravity work for you.

Caution: The cylinder and action will get very hot with frequent, rapid fire.:shock: If you are shooting a lot, you might need to come up with a different way to unload and reload.

In any case, unless you really, truly know what you are doing, I wouldn't advise any sanding, dremel or other metal removal yourself. Take it to a gunsmith or someone who really does know.