• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Portage County Open Carry Picnic Saturday June 19, 2010

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
The COUNTY did receive a request from a local resident.

Their solution, IGNORE him.

So.... what is the penalty for this violation? Would it make the most sense to have 50 people show up and get tickets?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

6.3.16 LEGAL ACTION
(A) Civil Action
Whenever any violation shall occur, the Corporation Counsel shall prosecute as provided by law.
(B) Secondary Fees
In lieu of arrest or commencing a civil action for any violation set forth herein, the Portage County Parks Director may, at his discretion, impose a notice fee for such violation in the amount of $20.00. If this notice fee is not paid within 5 days of issuance, the matter shall be referred to the corporation counsel for prosecution in accordance with (C) below. The Parks Director shall prepare an envelope in which the
notice fee shall be submitted. The notice fee shall be submitted in the manner stated on the envelope which may be amended from time to time as the Parks Director deems necessary.
(C) Penalties
Any person who violates this ordinance, which is not resolved in accordance with (B) above, shall be required to forfeit as set forth in Chapter 5, together with all legally applicable costs, fees, and assessments, and in default thereof, shall be subject to imprisonment in the Portage County Jail for a period not to exceed thirty (30) days.
(D) Citations for violations of this chapter may be issued by any peace officer of the County, City, Town or Village within its jurisdiction or by those persons designated under this ordinance.
Revised February 22, 2006
Revised April 22nd, 2008
Index for this Chapter

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

anmut wrote:
Hey guys sorry I've been busy at work! Looks like we got something going here - The Stevens Point Journal is running a warning from the sheriff!

http://www.stevenspointjournal.com/article/20100616/SPJ0101/100616053/-Open-carry-picnic-would-violate-county-ordinance-Sheriff-says

So what to do here?
We have doubled checked and there are no Stevens Point CITY ordinances pertaining firearm possession and no Stevens Point CITY park ordinances either.

Therefore we shall change the venue to "Iverson" City Park. Same day Saturday June 19, same time 12:00 - 3:00 PM

anmut

imported post

Alright I see my link is a little late. Anyway I've got two calls into the county attorneys office and a call into the county executive's office.

Hubert - I'm going to PM you my phone number if you can call me when you have a chance to discuss our options.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
6.3.16 LEGAL ACTION
(A) Civil Action
Whenever any violation shall occur, the Corporation Counsel shall prosecute as provided by law.
(B) Secondary Fees
In lieu of arrest or commencing a civil action for any violation set forth herein, the Portage County Parks Director may, at his discretion, impose a notice fee for such violation in the amount of $20.00. If this notice fee is not paid within 5 days of issuance, the matter shall be referred to the corporation counsel for prosecution in accordance with (C) below. The Parks Director shall prepare an envelope in which the
notice fee shall be submitted. The notice fee shall be submitted in the manner stated on the envelope which may be amended from time to time as the Parks Director deems necessary.
(C) Penalties
Any person who violates this ordinance, which is not resolved in accordance with (B) above, shall be required to forfeit as set forth in Chapter 5, together with all legally applicable costs, fees, and assessments, and in default thereof, shall be subject to imprisonment in the Portage County Jail for a period not to exceed thirty (30) days.
(D) Citations for violations of this chapter may be issued by any peace officer of the County, City, Town or Village within its jurisdiction or by those persons designated under this ordinance.
Revised February 22, 2006
Revised April 22nd, 2008
Index for this Chapter

So, it is a civil matter and is $20 if you don't fight it.

Abraxxas

imported post

66.0409(2)
(2) Except as provided in subs. (3)and (4), no political subdivision may enact an ordinance or adopt a resolution that regulates the sale, purchase, purchase delay, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permitting, registration or taxation of any firearm or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components, unless the ordinance or resolution is the same as or similar to, and no more stringent than, a state statute.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

Abraxxas wrote:
66.0409(2)
(2) Except as provided in subs. (3) and (4), no political subdivision may enact an ordinance or adopt a resolution that regulates the sale, purchase, purchase delay, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permitting, registration or taxation of any firearm or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components, unless the ordinance or resolution is the same as or similar to, and no more stringent than, a state statute.

I believe we know it is not enforceable but we are trying to figure out who wants to fight it since previous attempts to get the county board to fix it have been ignored.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

For immediate release:

Note: the change of venue

Due to the Portage County Sheriff threatening to enforce county ordinance 6.1.6(C), which we strongly believe to be preempted by state statute 66.0409, we are going to switch the location to a City Park to avoid the conflict as the picnic is intended to be a family friendly gathering.

The location will now be the Iverson Park in Stevens Point, WI. The park is 2/3 of a mile East of I-39 on the south side of Highway 66. The general public is invited to this family friendly gathering. Hot dogs, potato salad, and beans will be served starting at 12:00PM until 3:00PM or until the food is gone, whichever comes first. Attendees are asked to bring a dish to pass if they can.

As always, open carry of a holstered side arm is encouraged but not required and we ask that long guns and alcohol be left at home.

The purpose of the picnic is to help educate the public on the legality and safety of "open carry" for personal protection in Wisconsin. This is an opportunity for those in Portage County and the surrounding area to meet individuals who carry on a regular basis. Feel free to attend and ask questions.

Hope to see you there.

AaronS

imported post

Sounds to me like the Portage County Sheriff need replacement ASAP.

Rock the vote Portage. It's the only way to make any real change. This bum has made it very clear that the 2A is just a bunch of words on a rag to him. He should not have his job.

Yea, I'm from Milwaukee... I have my work cut out for me also...

anmut

imported post

Hey a friend of mine just told me that he thinks that is the day that another group is doing a Brew in the Park gathering.

Is that going to be an issue? Or just good timing? :) Strap up for liberty, unstrap for a home brew!

anmut

imported post

Btw if anyone is interested in reading some ignorant comments, the posts in the thread on the Stevens Point Journals website after the article are good for a laugh!

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

There are grills in the park. Do NOT bring a gas grill (no open flames). Instead, can we get somebody to bring some charcoal and grilling utensils?

Nimmer

imported post

anmut wrote:
Btw if anyone is interested in reading some ignorant comments, the posts in the thread on the Stevens Point Journals website after the article are good for a laugh!

Well as you should know the Polish dominate the demographics of the Point area:)

No I am not trying to demean anybody or start a arguement just saying as I worked there for a few years.

phred

imported post

Nimmer wrote
anmut wrote: "Btw if anyone is interested in reading some ignorant comments, the posts in the thread on the Stevens Point Journals website after the article are good for a laugh! "

Well as you should know the Polish dominate the demographics of the Point area:) No I am not trying to demean anybody or start a arguement just saying as I worked there for a few years.

No, it is a Central Wisconsin 2nd Amendment mentality. Which is - "It's legal to take your gun out of the closet for the nine days of deer season as well as the weekend before, if you have time, to sight it in."

I'm not saying everybody thinks that way, just about 99.9% of the population. Which means about 100 out 100,000 think otherwise. I'm one of those, so let's see if we can find another 99.

LOERetired

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
There are grills in the park. Do NOT bring a gas grill (no open flames). Instead, can we get somebody to bring some charcoal and grilling utensils?

Thanks for letting me know that I don't have to bring the grill, I'll bring a couple bags of charcoal.

Don