• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Portage County Open Carry Picnic Saturday June 19, 2010

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

There were plenty of hot dogs left from the Eau Claire event this past weekend.

Therefore, the organizers of last weekends event will be serving hot dogs, potato salad, and beans starting at 12:00PM until 3:00PM or until the food is gone, whichever comes first.

For immediate release:

Note: the change of venue

Due to the Portage County Sheriff threatening to enforce county ordinance 6.1.6(C), which we strongly believe to be preempted by state statute 66.0409, we are going to switch the location to a City Park to avoid the conflict as the picnic is intended to be a family friendly gathering.

The location will now be the Iverson Park in Stevens Point, WI. The park is 2/3 of a mile East of I-39 on the south side of Highway 66. The general public is invited to this family friendly gathering. Hot dogs, potato salad, and beans will be served starting at 12:00PM until 3:00PM or until the food is gone, whichever comes first. Attendees are asked to bring a dish to pass if they can.

As always, open carry of a holstered side arm is encouraged but not required and we ask that long guns and alcohol be left at home.

The purpose of the picnic is to help educate the public on the legality and safety of "open carry" for personal protection in Wisconsin. This is an opportunity for those in Portage County and the surrounding area to meet individuals who carry on a regular basis. Feel free to attend and ask questions.

Hope to see you there.

M

McX

imported post

did we do pretty good on donations for the women's abuse victim fund thing last weekend at the oc picnic?

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

From Plover, WI
54 West to Coolidge Avenue
Turn Right onto Coolidge Avenue
Follow Coolidge Avenue to River Dr.
Turn left on River Dr.
Follow River Drive to Park Dr.
Turn left on Park Drive
Follow Park drive all the way down to the park.

southside

Campaign Veteran
imported post

but i have a 2 hour ride..........tuna and mayo might be out ..........gunna be hot this weekend..........also bringing girlfriend connie.........

Elysium

imported post

Thats way to short notice for me. I am working that day. I wish I could make it though.

LOERetired

imported post

I'll be there, and I can bring a grill to cook the food. It's a four burner gas grill like the picture shown below.

Don

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I believe it is, but the Sheriff can still arrest for any reason and let the courts sort it out.

Maybe we can change the venue to Iverson park in the city of Stevens Point.

There are no city ordinances that I am aware of.

M

McX

imported post

Jeez, a group of people of like mind want to get together, share some laughs, eat, and enjoy each other's company, and it's like they come out of the woodwork to poo-poo on it.

Nimmer

imported post

So whats the scoop with the picnic? Is it still on? Is the sheriff for real ? Not to start a controversy but the people in Point are pretty serious group and I would think they will be there to make good on their statements about county ordinances.

I want to go but have to head to southern Wisconsin for Fathers day as Dad is closing in on 80 and want to spend the day with him not tied up in Portage county.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
I believe it is, but the Sheriff can still arrest for any reason and let the courts sort it out.

Is anyone working with the county to get the ordinance changed? I don't live there so I can't.

Nimmer

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:

Works for me if you are right about the ordanances.