• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lost 3500 acres?

merle

imported post

Just saw this and said "wow".  Didn't know things were that bad in AZ.
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
Closure of Refuge Lands Adjacent to Border
Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge

The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service has closed a portion of the Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge south of the Garcia Road to public use, under authority found in 8 RM 13.5 and 50 CFR 25.21(e) effective October 3, 2006. Garcia Road runs east/west parallel to the international boundary about one mile north of the line. This area is about 3500 acres in size. Our concern for public safety is paramount.

The situation in this zone has reached a point where continued public use of the area is not prudent. The Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge has been adversely affected by border-related activities. The international border with Mexico has also become increasingly violent. Assaults on law enforcement officers and violence against migrants have escalated. Violence on the Refuge associated with smugglers and border bandits has been well documented. Many of these activities are concentrated at, or near, the border. The concentration of illegal activity, surveillance and law enforcement interdictions make these zones dangerous.

Closure is in effect until further notice.

Mitch Ellis
Buenos Aires NWR
Refuge Manager

http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges...Fs/Closure.pdf
3500 acres of US soil (regardless if it's desert, redwoods or ocean) is 3500 acres. 

March Hare

imported post

This is the part of the border and 'undocumented migrant worker' issue that the rest of the country -doesn't- hear!

I don't travel south of Tucson without being armed with more than my usual sidearm.
I love the chiricahua wilderness area, but it's just gotten too dangerous, in my opinion, to take my family camping there.

If people knew how bad it is, we wouldn't have such a hard time getting the feds to protect our border!

rodbender

imported post

March Hare wrote:
This is the part of the border and 'undocumented migrant worker' issue that the rest of the country -doesn't- hear!

I don't travel south of Tucson without being armed with more than my usual sidearm.
I love the chiricahua wilderness area, but it's just gotten too dangerous, in my opinion, to take my family camping there.

If people knew how bad it is, we wouldn't have such a hard time getting the feds to protect our border!
The feds know, believe me. They don't care, they want the voting block.

GWbiker

imported post

March Hare wrote:

The "people" don't know how bad it is down here, 'cause "Big Sister Nappy" is proclaiming the border to be secure.

TOF

imported post

We are rapidly returning to the frontier days prior to statehood. The main difference is if we start shooting at them we will go to jail for murder while they continue their activity.

A state force with authorization to shoot invaders is needed. If we can't protect the Border we should be able to protect within the state. Is there a specific distance greater than 100 feet from the border at which State control is appropriate?

The invasion can be stopped.

We-the-People

imported post

Could this simply be a way to keep such Patriot groups as the Minutemen from patrolling KNOWN trafficing areas in an attempt to reduce publicity of the problem?

Thoreau

imported post

We-the-People wrote:
Could this simply be a way to keep such Patriot groups as the Minutemen from patrolling KNOWN trafficing areas in an attempt to reduce publicity of the problem?
Considering that in other areas along the border, the gov is quite content just posting signs warning of the dangers in the area, I'd say you might be on to something.

carracer

imported post

What ever happened to the "Minutemen"? Does that organization even exist any more? I wonder what would happen if a group of campers had to defend themselves with their AR's and .50's and such against a group of smugglers?

March Hare

imported post

carracer wrote:
What ever happened to the "Minutemen"?  Does that organization even exist any more?  I wonder what would happen if a group of campers had to defend themselves with their AR's and .50's and such against a group of smugglers?

Lets see if my crystal ball is working today...
I can't find my Johnny Carson turban, damn!

I see...
The msm would be all over the story, calling them vigilantes and inferring that they may be racists, the pseudo-government in mexico would howl about how horribly their citizens were treated and massacred and there would be protests here by certain 'groups'.

Obummer would apologize, again, and have the DOJ start an investigation into the campers backgrounds and hint at prosecution.

The antis would focus on the scary aspects of the guns used and splc would put out a paper adding them to the list of 'potential domestic terrorists'.

Of course, the rest of AZ would give them a high five!

That's all I can come up with, lacking the turban.
Did I miss anything?

*Announcers voice*
The preceding prediction is just the opinion of the poster, not meant to represent the views of any particular person or persons, your mileage may vary.

Nunc Est Bibendum!

-MH

Huck

imported post

carracer wrote:
What ever happened to the "Minutemen"? Does that organization even exist any more? I wonder what would happen if a group of campers had to defend themselves with their AR's and .50's and such against a group of smugglers?
It sounds like the Arizona Rangers need to be re-activated. They did a great job between 1901 and 1909.

Dahwg

imported post

Huck wrote:
carracer wrote:
What ever happened to the "Minutemen"?  Does that organization even exist any more?  I wonder what would happen if a group of campers had to defend themselves with their AR's and .50's and such against a group of smugglers?
It sounds like the Arizona Rangers need to be re-activated. They did a great job between 1901 and 1909.

They're actually still in existence. They are a volunteer state police force that are very well trained but have no arrest powers other than what is given to everyday citizens.

From a background check point of view, it's harder to become a Ranger that it is to get a CCW permit or become a LEO. A few years back, they were accidentally invited to a SWAT competition and finished second to LAPD SWAT. Pretty impressive for a bunch of old guys with beer bellies.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Huck wrote:
carracer wrote:

They did 'too good of a job'... The border ruffians and banditos of not that long ago are now universally labled 'immigrants' (not even illegal immigrants) which belies their true endevours. This of course comes from the mostly 'Eastern/urbaniitePC media talking heads 'n their mouth breathin' audience who have nothing in their limited experiences to compare the dynamic of theactual border to. It's easy to claim racisim 'cause back east it all about 'race'. La Raza 'n such have capitalized on that ignorance.

I used to live back there... but when I'd tell of the border situation... as far back as the mid-90's... their eyes would glaze over. In their world... this whole situation is something 'new'. We know it's not. Now the 'illegals' are bitin' 'em in the ass in their own backyards 'n they can't figure it out. What was 'local' is now national... and it's become an epidemic.

The Minutemen is history... it folded about a year ago. What's needed isa sworn LE adjunct to the Border Patrol.

Phoenix David

imported post

GWbiker wrote:
March Hare wrote:

The "people" don't know how bad it is down here, 'cause "Big Sister Nappy" is proclaiming the border to be secure.
GW it's not on the border so, I suppose in her convoluted thinking process she is correct just like the other cool statements of hers like..."The system worked", "it's only a little bit of oil" and "Vets are are the new terrorists"

imported post

I'm writing a letter to Jan, encouraging her to activate the AZ National Guard to deal with this problem, and to pay for it by withholding all of the Federal gas (and other taxes) that the State collects and use it to pay for the Guard.

It's time to use massive military force to take care of the problem. I simply refuse to allow our land to be given to freakin' Mexico by "default".

Thoreau

imported post

Pistol-Packing-Preacher-in-PV wrote:
I'm writing a letter to Jan,
Heh, I did that too, except I threw her under the bus for the BS $1.25 million for squirrels, and her incessant use of the Obama-esque excuse that she 'inhereted' this mess during the gubernatorial debate. Guess I need to write another one now to cover this subject as well. Dammit!

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

3,500 acres is just under 5.5 square miles if my convertin' is correct. That's still about 5.5 times more than our nation's sovereignty should be given up.

Wonder what Mexico's reaction would be if we annexed Baja Calicornia?