• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sudden riches from Nigeria and what I might do with the money

Bob Warden

imported post

Buildings, walls, fences, and other physical structures are obviously not imaginary, but show me a picture of an ACTUAL international border!

Metalhead47

imported post

Bob Warden wrote:
Don't be hatin! Just a friendly reminder that the concept of "immigrant" depends on one's point of view, and that borders exist only in our collective imagination. That's neither liberal nor conservative, just trivially obvious fact.

No, borders exist on paper. You know, just like our other laws. And being a lawyer, I'm sure you don't think THOSE are imaginary.

A property owner has the right to dictate who may or may not come onto his property. We the people, as the collective owners of this property called the USA, have the right to dictate, through our laws, who may and may not enter our land and what the legal process for doing so is.

If you think boundaries are imaginary, how bout I come over to your place, make my self at home, then send some of your belongings back to my family. You wouldn't mind, right?

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
Bob Warden wrote:
Don't be hatin! Just a friendly reminder that the concept of "immigrant" depends on one's point of view, and that borders exist only in our collective imagination. That's neither liberal nor conservative, just trivially obvious fact.

No, borders exist on paper. You know, just like our other laws. And being a lawyer, I'm sure you don't think THOSE are imaginary.

A property owner has the right to dictate who may or may not come onto his property. We the people, as the collective owners of this property called the USA, have the right to dictate, through our laws, who may and may not enter our land and what the legal process for doing so is.

If you think boundaries are imaginary, how bout I come over to your place, make my self at home, then send some of your belongings back to my family. You wouldn't mind, right?
BBQ at Bob's house!:celebrate

joeroket

imported post

Bob Warden wrote:
Buildings, walls, fences, and other physical structures are obviously not imaginary, but show me a picture of an ACTUAL international border!

Uhhhh.....Not sure what to say about that. What the hell do you think defines an international border? A line drawn in the dirt?

Bob Warden

imported post

Laws, like borders, are just societal conventions that individuals record and agree to abide by. They exist in our minds. They aren't actual tangible things; they are ideas. That's what I mean by collective imagination.

And, so long as we agree on the idea of property rights, my house is still my house, though I'm not opposed to the idea of hosting a barbecue sometime, if we ever get an actual summer!

:cool:

ghosthunter

imported post

Oh don't get me started. I am so tired about hearing about the indians.

Guess what they got there butts licked with the tactics that were used in that era. I was not there an neither were any of the folks on this board. They got lied too, killed, beat and robbed just like everyone else in this country. Now the tribes have so much money and so many folks afraid of them they can do what ever they want most of the time.

And they still do not have to obey the same laws as the rest of us. And before you start yelling racist. My son in law is an indian.

And than the mexicans enter the country without papers, and cry because imigration catches them. 90% of the shootings in my town are Mexicans.

I got no problem with others coming. But they should get no more or less than what my kids get. And they need to become Americans. If they do not want to do that than they should stay where they are.

How did we get off topic?

joeroket

imported post

Bob Warden wrote:
Laws, like borders, are just societal conventions that individuals record and agree to abide by. They exist in our minds. They aren't actual tangible things; they are ideas. That's what I mean by collective imagination.

And, so long as we agree on the idea of property rights, my house is still my house, though I'm not opposed to the idea of hosting a barbecue sometime, if we ever get an actual summer!

I understand now Bob. That does not sound as insensible as it did the first go around.

Metalhead47

imported post

Bob Warden wrote:

So why is your house still your house but this country is not our country? Spoken like a true liberal lawyer. I bet you think things like rights and morality are relative so long as we agree on them don't you?

Bob Warden

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
Bob Warden wrote:

So why is your house still your house but this country is not our country? Spoken like a true liberal lawyer. I bet you think things like rights and morality are relative so long as we agree on them don't you?

My house is my house in the same way that our country is our country. Thought I made that clear already.

Metalhead47

imported post

Bob Warden wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
Bob Warden wrote:

My house is my house in the same way that our country is our country. Thought I made that clear already.

No, you seemed to imply that that was so only so long as those not in your house (or country) agreed that it was so, and such was subject to change at any time,

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
Bob Warden wrote:
Why are folks so fired up NOW about immigration? It was a MUCH bigger problem during the 400 year European invasion that began in 1492. And those English bastards refused to learn to speak Cherokee!

Give that tired liberal mantra a rest will you? Last I checked, there WERE no immigration laws in 1492.

We conquered this land fair & square.:p

And I bet you're no Cherokee speaker either.
Iroquois would have been the 'national' language of the time. Although Cherokee and Choctaw had large influence in the already confederated Native tribes.