• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Picnic 7/17/2010 1100-1400

mike380

VCDL Picnic

Do you have to be a member of the VCDL to come to the picnic? So,what i am saying is it open to the public?

45acpForMe

Do you have to be a member of the VCDL to come to the picnic? So,what i am saying is it open to the public?

Welcome to the forum! I would not say that it is open to the public but I believe most would be open to meeting others on this forum and other gun-fans. One of the VCDL officers can make an official statement but for the most part we like to mingle with other people that want to stand up for 2A (and other) rights.

If it gets open to the public you run the risk of antis trying to disrupt things. If you are interested in VCDL I say show up. VCDL is a great organization fighting to restore our rights. Joining is cheap at 25 per year and I love getting the email alerts with stories all around the state & country.

Edited to add: You wouldn't be forced to join VCDL if you show up at the picnic. You can talk to others on the merits of VCDL and may decide to join.

Last edited:

mike380

Thank 4 info

Thank 4 info 45acpforme,I am hoping to make it to the picnic to back the vcdl into look more into it also.Yes i am a "new" member "but" a long time reader opencarry and if things work out i hope to be there.Once again thank you for the info.

Mike380

Welcome to the forum! I would not say that it is open to the public but I believe most would be open to meeting others on this forum and other gun-fans. One of the VCDL officers can make an official statement but for the most part we like to mingle with other people that want to stand up for 2A (and other) rights.

If it gets open to the public you run the risk of antis trying to disrupt things. If you are interested in VCDL I say show up. VCDL is a great organization fighting to restore our rights. Joining is cheap at 25 per year and I love getting the email alerts with stories all around the state & country.

Edited to add: You wouldn't be forced to join VCDL if you show up at the picnic. You can talk to others on the merits of VCDL and may decide to join.

graybeard321

my wife and I will be there

sodas

diet sodas Mark Spruill

bottled water

sheet cake Ron Lilly

baked beans Dennis Powell

potato salad

macaroni salad Brent koontz

potato chips

paper cups Brad P.

napkins

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Why would we not be open to the public in this type of setting?

It is not like a sit down dinner where the seating capacity is limited and where the business owner's rules/thoughts play a part. VCDL's regular membership meetings are open to the public also. We are in the business of educating people.

IMO any "guests" should be welcomed - I would even share my food with them, regardless of where there views were. The only request that seems pertinent is that nobody be disruptive or rude.

45acpForMe

Why would we not be open to the public in this type of setting?

It is not like a sit down dinner where the seating capacity is limited and where the business owner's rules/thoughts play a part. VCDL's regular membership meetings are open to the public also. We are in the business of educating people.

IMO any "guests" should be welcomed - I would even share my food with them, regardless of where there views were. The only request that seems pertinent is that nobody be disruptive or rude.

I did not want to say that it is open to the public because you get organizations like CODE PINK disrupting things. An open invite as long as they aren't disruptive is fine.

VCDL President

Centurion
Open to the public

I did not want to say that it is open to the public because you get organizations like CODE PINK disrupting things. An open invite as long as they aren't disruptive is fine.

We couldn't care less if Code Pink or the Brady Bunch shows up. We could set up a metal detector and if you don't beep loudly, you don't get to eat!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
We couldn't care less if Code Pink or the Brady Bunch shows up. We could set up a metal detector and if you don't beep loudly, you don't get to eat!

Reminds me of a recent tongue-in-cheek statement that Celebration Dinner guests would be tested by their willingness to wear GSL stickers. ;)

Milbars

Hey all, sorry for being away for a bit. I'm not 100% on what's left that is needed for this shindig. I've got my wife and I coming; I'll see if I can scare up some more people. Anybody have an idea of what's still needed?

6L6GC

Membership not required

One does not have to be a member to come to the picnic. In fact I am inviting several local politicians as well as the Newport News City Council Members (as if any of them will show up)

No body is going to start any trouble but if, in the unlikely event that someone does, I'll just call the police. wink wink tisk tisk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Add two more to the confirmed list.

Can you update what food and/or supplies are still needed?

6L6GC

What's still needed

Add two more to the confirmed list.

Can you update what food and/or supplies are still needed?

Grapeshot (and others),
there are still some things on the list no one has volunteered to bring. I will post the updated list below. Anybody want to spring for something just put your name on the list by the item.

Shelter reservation - Ron Lilly

Plastic forks/knives/spoons - Ron Lilly

Hot dogs - Pagan (the first 100)

Hot dog buns -

Hamburger - Mark Spruill

Hamburger buns - Jim 45acpforme

Charcoal - Wolfhound

Cole Slaw- Wolfhound

Mustard/Mayo/Relish/Ketchup - Bubba Ron & Jean

Paper plates - Brad P.

Sodas -

Diet Sodas - Mark Spruill

Bottled water/ice/coolers - Mike C.

Sheet cake - Ron Lilly

Baked beans - Dennis Powell Fully Armed Biker

Potato salad - Karolyn Galarza

Macaroni salad - Gary & Irina Moeller Brent Koontz

Potato chips - Lee A. Large Sarge

Paper cups - Brad P.

Napkins -

Appetizers - Jerry B.

Please feel free to correct and update this list...

A BIG thanks to everybody. I really appreciate it and I am looking forward to another good time

jofrdo

VCDL Picnic

It looks like napkins and hot dog buns have not been spoken for. I'll volunteer for both of those.
Jack Dougherty
537-9279