• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HOA restricts OC

XDUser

imported post

Heck set up some dates for a BBQ and some of us newer members can get to meet others face to face while at the same time assisting with this HOA issue.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

TFred wrote:
As far as I know, they ... are powerless to regulate behavior on your own property... or on the public streets leading to it.
Citation please. That's not my experience.

In re enforcement; I agree that it is a civil matter only and there may be constraints in the covenant. My HOA president, personally, had to bring the action. The HOA could not act as a legal entity.

FretlessMayhem

imported post

old dog wrote:
HOA, now that's the problem; or more correctly the kind of people it attracts is the problem.

It's been my experience that these contemptible busybodies are almost always little old ladies or men from up North who validate themselves by forcing their rules on others.
Heh. I was fed up with the way my HOA was spending money so I ran and got elected to it. The funny thing is, I'm the most permissive member of the BOD.

You want to hang a sign? Cool. Want to have more than 5 plants? Cool. The way I see it, what one does in their home is their business. As long as they don't bother anyone.

It's the old people that always fight against me. It's always "the damn kids" and this and that. I would be absolutely appalled if someone suggesting adding a rule to ban OC. Given that there are only 2 of us on the BOD, they'd need my vote for that.

TFred

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
TFred wrote:
As far as I know, they ... are powerless to regulate behavior on your own property... or on the public streets leading to it.

In re enforcement; I agree that it is a civil matter only and there may be constraints in the covenant. My HOA president, personally, had to bring the action. The HOA could not act as a legal entity.
Ha, "as far as I know" should be clear to imply that I don't have a cite. If I had a cite, then I would know for sure! :)

I'm just thinking that public streets are governed by state and local law. If the HOA said you couldn't park any red cars on a city or county-owned street, how could that be enforced?

On your property, they do govern things related to maintenance and appearance, but how can they tell you you can't wear a hat or OC a gun, all legal things. State code even says you don't need a permit to carry concealed in your "own place of abode or the curtilage thereof" which is ill-defined, but certainly would be on your property.

TFred

KaosDad

imported post

TFred wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
TFred wrote:

Ha, "as far as I know" should be clear to imply that I don't have a cite. If I had a cite, then I would know for sure! :)

I'm just thinking that public streets are governed by state and local law. If the HOA said you couldn't park any red cars on a city or county-owned street, how could that be enforced?

On your property, they do govern things related to maintenance and appearance, but how can they tell you you can't wear a hat or OC a gun, all legal things. State code even says you don't need a permit to carry concealed in your "own place of abode or the curtilage thereof" which is ill-defined, but certainly would be on your property.

TFred
Sadly, I have experience to the opposite. I lived in Lake Ridge, VA, for five hellish years (1987 - 1992). If you had a fender bender on the way home you had better have a garage to keep the car in. Vehicles with visible body damage were prohibited from street/driveway parking as were motorcycles. So, yes, a Stalinist HOA CAN regulate what you do on "your"property.

Mr H

imported post

TFred wrote:
I just realized, it's a win-win... after a few weeks or months of non-incident gatherings at your home, in full view of your neighbors, you would have ample evidence to present before the HOA annual meeting that OC is a non-issue, and you would likely have support to abolish the new rule.

Shoot... (no pun intended)

That might even work... GASP... in Maryland!!!!!!!!!!