• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need clarity

Dustiniac

Banned
imported post

Ah Doug. You read what you want. I never said that. I know its illegal. Its not something that your average cop cares about. When I do I get pulled over, I just roll them down.

M

McX

imported post

i heard tell that the cops are using the window tint thing to go after the honda kids, and as a bonus ticket for those who cruise highway 100 up in milwaukee. my windows on most all my vehicles are tinted- legal, no one seems to care, we've never been stopped or checked.

Captain Nemo

imported post

[align=left]Trans 305.32 Vent, side and rear windows. (1)
All[/align]
[align=left]glass used in vent, side or rear windows shall be safety glass and[/align]
[align=left]shall be plainly marked to identify it as safety glass, or a certification[/align]
[align=left]from the glass supplier stating that the glass is approved safety[/align]
[align=left]glass shall be carried in the vehicle during operation or vehicle[/align]
[align=left]inspection, or both. All glazing in the vent, side or rear windows[/align]
[align=left]shall be free of sharp edges severe enough to cause injury, cracks,[/align]
[align=left]etching, damage or other conditions which distort or interfere with[/align]
[align=left]vision.[/align]

[align=left](2)
All front side windows in the driver’s compartment which[/align]
[align=left]need to open for the making of arm signals shall operate so as to[/align]
[align=left]permit the making of arm signals.[/align]

[align=left](3)
The vent, side and rear windows may not have cloudiness[/align]
[align=left]or etching in excess of 2 inches from any edge.[/align]

[align=left](4)
(a) The vent and front side windows may not have any[/align]
[align=left]sign, poster or other nontransparent material upon them, other[/align]
[align=left]than a certificate or sticker issued by order of a governmental[/align]
[align=left]agency.[/align]
[align=left](b) Tinting of the vent and front side windows is permitted as[/align]
[align=left]follows:[/align]
[align=left]1. The windows are tinted by the manufacturer of the glazing[/align]
[align=left]and are installed as part of the original manufacturing process.[/align]
[align=left]2. The windows are tinted by the application of tinting film[/align]
[align=left]to the inside of the glazing provided that the combination of the[/align]
[align=left]glazing and tinting film permits passage through the windows of[/align]
[align=left]at least 50% of the visible light striking the windows. Tinting[/align]
[align=left]films permitted under this subdivision may not be reflective.[/align]
[align=left]3. The windows are tinted, upon the recommendation of a[/align]
[align=left]physician or a Christian Science practitioner treating the owner,[/align]
[align=left]or an immediate family member of the owner of the vehicle, by the[/align]
[align=left]application of tinting film to the inside of the glazing provided that[/align]
[align=left]the combination of the glazing and tinting film permits passage[/align]
[align=left]through the windows of at least 35% of the visible light striking[/align]
[align=left]the windows. Tinting films permitted under this subdivision may[/align]
[align=left]not be reflective. A written statement from the treating physician[/align]
[align=left]or Christian Science practitioner which identifies the patient, the[/align]
[align=left]medical condition justifying the recommendation, whether the[/align]
[align=left]condition is temporary or permanent and the vehicle to which the[/align]
[align=left]recommendation applies, including the make, model, year and[/align]
[align=left]vehicle identification number, shall be carried in the vehicle at all[/align]
[align=left]times. Tinting film applied under this subparagraph shall be[/align]
[align=left]removed when a vehicle covered by the recommendation is sold,[/align]
[align=left]when the person for whom a recommendation was made no longer[/align]
[align=left]409 DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Trans 305.39[/align]
[align=left]Unofficial Text (See Printed Volume). Current through date and Register shown on Title Page.[/align]

[align=left]Register, May, 2004, No. 581[/align]

[align=left]resides in the household of the owner of the vehicle or when the[/align]
[align=left]duration of a temporary condition which is the basis for a recommendation[/align]
[align=left]has expired.[/align]

[align=left](5)
(a) The rear window may not have any sign, poster or other[/align]
[align=left]nontransparent material upon it, other than a certificate or sticker[/align]
[align=left]issued by order of a governmental agency.[/align]
[align=left](b) Tinting of the rear window is permitted as follows:[/align]
[align=left]1. The window is tinted by the manufacturer of the glazing[/align]
[align=left]and is installed as part of the original manufacturing process.[/align]
[align=left]2. The window is tinted by the application of tinting film to[/align]
[align=left]the inside of the glazing provided that the combination of the glazing[/align]
[align=left]and tinting film permits passage through the window of at least[/align]
[align=left]35% of the visible light striking the window. The tinting films permitted[/align]
[align=left]under this subdivision may not be reflective.[/align]
[align=left]3. If a rear window does not transmit at least 60% of the visible[/align]
[align=left]light striking the window, the vehicle shall be equipped with[/align]
[align=left]an outside rearview mirror on the left and right side of the driver’s[/align]
[align=left]compartment.[/align]

[align=left](6)
Tinting of rear side windows is permitted as follows:[/align]
[align=left](a) The windows are tinted by the manufacturer of the glazing[/align]
[align=left]and are installed as part of the original manufacturing process.[/align]
[align=left](b) The windows are tinted by the application of tinting film[/align]
[align=left]to the inside of the glazing provided that the combination of the[/align]
[align=left]glazing and tinting film permits passage through the windows of[/align]
[align=left]at least 35% of the visible light striking the window. The tinting[/align]
[align=left]films permitted under this subdivision may not be reflective.[/align]

[align=left](7)
When measuring total light transmittance under subs. (4)[/align]
[align=left](b), (5) (b) and (6), law enforcement officers shall allow a tolerance[/align]
[align=left]of 3%.[/align]

[align=left]History:
Cr. Register, February, 1996, No. 482, eff. 3−1−96; am. (3), Register,[/align]
[align=left]October, 1997, No. 502, eff. 11−1−97.[/align]

[align=left]Trans 305.33 Windshield defroster−defogger.[/align]
[align=left](1)
Every motor vehicle manufactured after January 1, 1955,[/align]
[align=left]shall be equipped with a defroster−defogger system. Any motor[/align]
[align=left]vehicle lawfully manufactured and operated without a roof, doors[/align]
[align=left]or side windows is exempt from the requirements of this section.[/align]

[align=left](2)
The defroster−defogger system shall be capable of removing[/align]
[align=left]condensation and frost from the windshield.[/align]

[align=left]History:
Cr. Register, February, 1996, No. 482, eff. 3−1−96; am. (1), Register,[/align]
[align=left]October, 1997, No. 502, eff. 11−1−97.[/align]

[align=left]Trans 305.34 Windshields. (1)
Every motor vehicle[/align]
[align=left]manufactured after January 1, 1936, shall have a windshield made[/align]
[align=left]of safety glass. Such glass shall be plainly marked to identify it as[/align]
[align=left]safety glass or a certification from the glass supplier stating that[/align]
[align=left]the glass is approved safety glass shall be carried in the vehicle[/align]
[align=left]during operation or vehicle inspection, or both.[/align]

[align=left](2)
The windshield shall be of sufficient size to provide adequate[/align]
[align=left]protection for the driver and shall be in place when operating[/align]
[align=left]on a highway.[/align]

[align=left](3)
The windshield may not be excessively cracked or damaged.[/align]
[align=left]A windshield is excessively cracked or damaged if:[/align]
[align=left](a) The windshield has a crack inside, or which extends inside,[/align]
[align=left]the windshield critical area.[/align]
[align=left](b) The windshield has cracks which extend into any area more[/align]
[align=left]than 8 inches from the frame.[/align]
[align=left](c) The windshield has stone or shot damage with a diameter[/align]
[align=left]in excess of
inch in the windshield critical area or in excess of[/align]
[align=left]1 inches in diameter in any other area.[/align]
[align=left](4)
The windshield may not have etching, scratches, abrasion[/align]
[align=left]or repairs of any type which impair or distort vision within the[/align]
[align=left]windshield critical area.[/align]

[align=left](5)
The windshield may not have cloudiness or etching in[/align]
[align=left]excess of one inch around the outside edge on the driver’s side or[/align]
[align=left]in excess of 2 inches on the passenger’s side.[/align]

[align=left](6)
Nothing may be placed or suspended in or on the vehicle[/align]
[align=left]or windshield so as to obstruct the driver’s clear vision through the[/align]
[align=left]windshield. There may not be any posters, stickers or other nontransparent[/align]
[align=left]material, other than a certificate or sticker issued by[/align]
[align=left]order of a governmental agency, located on the windshield or[/align]
[align=left]located between the driver and the windshield. This subsection[/align]
[align=left]does not prohibit the following:[/align]
[align=left](a) Attachment of an inside rearview mirror in accordance with[/align]
[align=left]s. Trans 305.26.[/align]
[align=left](b) Windshields tinted by the manufacturer of the glazing and[/align]
[align=left]installed as part of the original manufacturing process.[/align]
[align=left](c) Application of window tinting film or other nontransparent[/align]
[align=left]material to the inside of the windshield if it is attached only to that[/align]
[align=left]portion of the windshield which is both outside the critical area[/align]
[align=left]and above the horizontal line delineated by the mark “A” or “A.”[/align]
[align=left]If no such mark was affixed to the windshield by its manufacturer,[/align]
[align=left]no window tinting film may be attached to the windshield.[/align]

History:
Cr. Register, February, 1996, No. 482, eff. 3−1−96; rep

M

McX

imported post

Christian Science practitioner, where do i buy one of them?

icepik

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Dustiniac wrote:
Thats your opinion.
No that is a fact, if you place the firearm under the seat even though it is encased and unloaded it is still concealed from plain view.

My suggestion would be to leave it "ON" the seat.

But hey to each his own, it is not like I have to pay your fines.
As soon as you place the firearm in it's case, the firearm is concealed, regardless of where you put the case. (Unless you have a see-through case)

If the case is stuck to your windshield with shipping tape, the firearm would still be concealed within the case.

Anyone know if there is a law about transporting a concealed plastic box?

Dustiniac

Banned
imported post

Did you really need to post the laws regarding tint? Its not like I'm going to run outside now and rip a 100 dollar tint job off the 2 front windows of my Tahoe. I was aware it was darker than legal when I installed. There are many things illegal on my truck, the parking lighs, the headlights, the exhaust, the computer. Soon I'm gutting the cat converter so that will be also.

Dustiniac

Banned
imported post

Because Doug I'm sure you never break the speed limit, always come to a full stop or yield, and never once forgot to use your blinkers.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I believe that is correct.

I have not been cited or even stopped for a vehicle code violation since 1977.

I drive on my cruise control, not least because it is integral to my fly-by-wire car's throttle.

Some jurisdictions will deny a weapons permit for indications of a scofflaw.

Dustiniac

Banned
imported post

So you haven't been cited since '77, so what. I can't believe you said I was correct. You really are full of yourself. Gods gift to mankind huh? Everyone accidentally violates traffic laws nearly everyday, even if its going one mile over the limit. Its regular practice to go at least 5 mph over the limit on the interstate, and I've found you can usually do 10-15 over.