Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry discussion at baseball

Post imported post

Tonight at my son's baseball practice there was discussion about where you can and can't carry. Not just OC but CC as well. Because I was helping with the practice I only caught some of the conversation and chimed in when I could. I think that my wife held her own though. The only thing she really knows is where she has seen me carry and what I have told her. Below is a list of some of the things that the other people were saying.

1: You can't carry in Wal-Mart.
    2: You can't carry in a bank
    3: You can't carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol
    4: You can't carry in "bar"
    5: The bill to allow concealed carry in a restaurant did not pass this year

Like I said my wife took the majority of these. Unfortunately, most of her response was my husband "carries there all the time." Knowing that the only way to prove what the law says is to show them in writing. Here is a list of codes that I came up with that are pertinent to this discussion. If you have any more suggestions feel free to help a brother out

4.1-100 Definition of a restaurant or club
    18.2-283 Carry into a place of worship
    18.2-283.1 Carry into a courthouse
    18.2-287.4 Carry of loaded firearms in public places
    18.2-308 Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons
    18.2-308.1 Possession on school property
    HB 505 and SB 334 Allows CC into a restaurant

One person even went as far as to stop at a bank and took a picture of a sign that said that anyone carrying a weapon would be considered a trespasser. This was then texted to my wife. I think this was in hopes of proving that carry in a bank is unlawful. The bank discussed was Navy Federal however, the person has not answered a return text as to which bank this picture was taken at.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

tell the other people...

1: You can't carry in Wal-Mart.(false, but they can ask you to leave)

2: You can't carry in a bank (false, see #1 above)

3: You can't carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol (you can't carry concealed, but open carry is ok and that all changes for the better as of July 1)

4: You can't carry in "bar" (see #3, and there are no bars in Va.)

5: The bill to allow concealed carry in a restaurant did not pass this year (see #3)

James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    tell the other people...

they have a corporate policy allowing carry by customers,technically they cant ask you to leave without violating policy,so long as your obeying state law.
    sorry,i had to chime in...
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Tralpat wrote:
    I got this one from a relative out West that is a cop. Because it is FDIC insured he was told it is FEDERAL property. I set him straight.

Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

Get yourself one of the Virginia OC Info cards to hand out to people that ask questions. On the card it sites where you can't carry. The cards out now have the old laws and we want to get new cards with the July 1st changes.

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    Tralpat wrote:
    I got this one from a relative out West that is a cop. Because it is FDIC insured he was told it is FEDERAL property. I set him straight.
    By that same logic, the home of anyone receiving Medicare or Medicade would be Federal Property...

What is scary about your relative isn't that he was confused about carry in a bank--it's that he doesn't know the difference between an INSURER and an OWNER--and he is a LEO. THAT is genuinely scary...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    ed wrote:
    Tralpat wrote:
    By that same logic, the home of anyone receiving Medicare or Medicade would be Federal Property...

What is scary about your relative isn't that he was confused about carry in a bank--it's that he doesn't know the difference between an INSURER and an OWNER--and he is a LEO. THAT is genuinely scary...
    It is Dreamer, but I'm trying to educate them on many things.

I'm in the process of installing crayon type on OVN.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
    Get yourself one of the Virginia OC Info cards to hand out to people that ask questions. On the card it sites where you can't carry. The cards out now have the old laws and we want to get new cards with the July 1st changes.
    I have new cards..
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    45acpForMe wrote:
    Get yourself one of the Virginia OC Info cards to hand out to people that ask questions.Â* On the card it sites where you can't carry.Â* The cards out now have the old laws and we want to get new cards with the July 1st changes.
    I have new cards..
    Can you post the text somewhere so we can put them on our cards? I was waiting for VCDL to post it.

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    Tralpat wrote:

The people that stated this had no reason or source of information. Just what they thought and refused to believe us.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

Tralpat wrote:
    ed wrote:
    Tralpat wrote:

The people that stated this had no reason or source of information. Just what they thought and refused to believe us.
    I have to laugh sometimes.
    At the Strawberry Fair, some idiot ran up to Grapeshot and said "You can't carry a gun here, it's illegal. I know because I'm a lawyer".

I wish I could have gotten his name so I'd know who NOT to consult with.

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    At the Strawberry Fair, some idiot ran up to Grapeshot and said "You can't carry a gun here, it's illegal. I know because I'm a lawyer".
    Perhaps he plays one on TV?
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    tell the other people...

they have a corporate policy allowing carry by customers,technically they cant ask you to leave without violating policy,so long as your obeying state law.
    That's wrong - a command to leave by any agent of the owner must be obeyed not matter what so-called corporate policy might be.

Please do not spread misinformation that can get people arrested and make us look bad.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    lil_freak_66 wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    tell the other people...

That's wrong - a command to leave by any agent of the owner must be obeyed not matter what so-called corporate policy might be.

Please do not spread misinformation that can get people arrested and make us look bad.
    I don't think the intent was to spread misinformation. However, the comment wasn't totally wrong. Wal-Mart does have that policy. I wouldn't have said that they can't ask you to leave but would have said they shouldn't ask.

The comment that you can't carry in Wal-Mart blew my mind anyway. I invited any one of the naysayers to come with me for a day and see how much hate and discontent I cause when I carry. I think they would be surprised. I don't think that any one will take me up on my offer.

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    Tralpat wrote:

That's like saying that because your car is insured by Gieco it is actaully the property ofa little green lizard!

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

What is most amazing about those who spout such "facts" with so much pretense of authority is that they do so while wearing the mantra of being :"all knowing and wise". How dare someone question their obvious superior knowledge of all manner of such things.

Don't you just love to shut people like this down?

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Funny, since whenI carry, most people assume I am the authority of knowledge, and ask ME questions instead trying to dictate to me the law,lol, perhapsI should get out more.

Post imported post

Don't rush them, they're getting there, comrade....

Post imported post

While attending (OCing at) the York County BoS meeting, I was asked a number of questions by several other attendees, ranging from what I was carrying,how I carry my holster, current status of laws, where one may OC/CC, etc.

I always give anyone who asks such questions an orange VCDL card.

When I returned to my seat after videoing PVC, the woman seated next to me (weak side)asked (jokingly) "I didn't know you were packing. Should I be scared?"
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Post imported post

I would agree that I am usually asked questions about OC. However, on this occasion being at a school, I was not carrying.

Post imported post

A couple guys at work one who used to be a LEO in PA started trying to tell me how it's illegal to carry in a bank or a place that serves alcohol and I tried explaining to them that it was only a no no to CC in those places and all they kept referring back to was the pamphlet they got from the Spotsy court house when they got there CHP's.

Then one of them was saying how he saw a woman in walmart OCin and he wanted to go and punch her in the face and tell her how stupid she is for carrying openly. Then he went on trying to insult me by saying it was probably my wife and blah blah blah. But he thinks I'm a retard since I don't CC and keep tellin me I need to go get my permit. Which I do need to remember to go try to get it again so I can buy more then one hand gun a month and for bad weather. They also for some reason think that I can get charged by the military for OCing. So apparently because I defend the constitution my first and second amendment rights are limited if those two had it their way.

Semper Fi

Post imported post

gotsig:
    Tell your moronic co-workers to **** unless they KNOW what the laws are in VIRGINIA. You should get in touch with ED on here and get some of his cards. he does a WONDERFUL service for everyone on here... He will give you cards ands all you have to do is pay for postage! What a DEAL, right? He's also in your AOR, so you may be able to just meet him in NOVA and pick them up in person.

Have you been to an OC dinner? I highly encourage you to attend one. How about the Burke Lake Picnic? I may even be able to drive up for that one again. We'd love to meet you and your bunch!

Mike
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

I have been to a couple lunches and I was at last years picnic at Burke Lake. Which I probably won't be able to make it this year since we have the brits comin here soon and we will be busy training with them and then a few other field things that occur on the weekend.

As far as the co workers go they are just anti OC they and there isn't any changin their minds I have got several of the guys I work with interested in OCing though and I have a few of Ed's cards.

Semper Fi

or for you mike Semper Peratus ( hope I spelled that right)

Post imported post

Semper Paratus, but you were close.

I think we did meet last year. My memory is fading...

Mike
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

We did I had the two little kids I think you were the one that snapped a few pics of them and then emailed them to me. May be wrong but we talked a while bout when you were a puddle pirate sorry couldn't resist I had to go there. I'm sure the Marine jokes will be flyin my way now.

Semper Fi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast