• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry discussion at baseball

Tralpat

imported post

Tonight at my son's baseball practice there was discussion about where you can and can't carry. Not just OC but CC as well. Because I was helping with the practice I only caught some of the conversation and chimed in when I could. I think that my wife held her own though. The only thing she really knows is where she has seen me carry and what I have told her. Below is a list of some of the things that the other people were saying.

1: You can't carry in Wal-Mart.
2: You can't carry in a bank
3: You can't carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol
4: You can't carry in "bar"
5: The bill to allow concealed carry in a restaurant did not pass this year

Like I said my wife took the majority of these. Unfortunately, most of her response was my husband "carries there all the time." Knowing that the only way to prove what the law says is to show them in writing. Here is a list of codes that I came up with that are pertinent to this discussion. If you have any more suggestions feel free to help a brother out

4.1-100 Definition of a restaurant or club
18.2-283 Carry into a place of worship
18.2-283.1 Carry into a courthouse
18.2-287.4 Carry of loaded firearms in public places
18.2-308 Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons
18.2-308.1 Possession on school property
HB 505 and SB 334 Allows CC into a restaurant

One person even went as far as to stop at a bank and took a picture of a sign that said that anyone carrying a weapon would be considered a trespasser. This was then texted to my wife. I think this was in hopes of proving that carry in a bank is unlawful. The bank discussed was Navy Federal however, the person has not answered a return text as to which bank this picture was taken at.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

tell the other people...

1: You can't carry in Wal-Mart.(false, but they can ask you to leave)

2: You can't carry in a bank (false, see #1 above)

3: You can't carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol (you can't carry concealed, but open carry is ok and that all changes for the better as of July 1)

4: You can't carry in "bar" (see #3, and there are no bars in Va.)

5: The bill to allow concealed carry in a restaurant did not pass this year (see #3)

lil_freak_66

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
tell the other people...

they have a corporate policy allowing carry by customers,technically they cant ask you to leave without violating policy,so long as your obeying state law.
sorry,i had to chime in...

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Tralpat wrote:
I got this one from a relative out West that is a cop. Because it is FDIC insured he was told it is FEDERAL property. I set him straight.

2147873.gif

45acpForMe

imported post

Get yourself one of the Virginia OC Info cards to hand out to people that ask questions. On the card it sites where you can't carry. The cards out now have the old laws and we want to get new cards with the July 1st changes.

Dreamer

imported post

ed wrote:
Tralpat wrote:
I got this one from a relative out West that is a cop. Because it is FDIC insured he was told it is FEDERAL property. I set him straight.

By that same logic, the home of anyone receiving Medicare or Medicade would be Federal Property...

What is scary about your relative isn't that he was confused about carry in a bank--it's that he doesn't know the difference between an INSURER and an OWNER--and he is a LEO. THAT is genuinely scary...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
ed wrote:
Tralpat wrote:

By that same logic, the home of anyone receiving Medicare or Medicade would be Federal Property...

What is scary about your relative isn't that he was confused about carry in a bank--it's that he doesn't know the difference between an INSURER and an OWNER--and he is a LEO. THAT is genuinely scary...
It is Dreamer, but I'm trying to educate them on many things.

I'm in the process of installing crayon type on OVN.
:dude:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
Get yourself one of the Virginia OC Info cards to hand out to people that ask questions. On the card it sites where you can't carry. The cards out now have the old laws and we want to get new cards with the July 1st changes.
I have new cards..

45acpForMe

imported post

ed wrote:
45acpForMe wrote:
Get yourself one of the Virginia OC Info cards to hand out to people that ask questions.  On the card it sites where you can't carry.  The cards out now have the old laws and we want to get new cards with the July 1st changes.
I have new cards..

Can you post the text somewhere so we can put them on our cards? I was waiting for VCDL to post it.

Tralpat

imported post

ed wrote:
Tralpat wrote:
The people that stated this had no reason or source of information. Just what they thought and refused to believe us.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Tralpat wrote:
ed wrote:
Tralpat wrote:
The people that stated this had no reason or source of information. Just what they thought and refused to believe us.
I have to laugh sometimes.
At the Strawberry Fair, some idiot ran up to Grapeshot and said "You can't carry a gun here, it's illegal. I know because I'm a lawyer".

I wish I could have gotten his name so I'd know who NOT to consult with.:lol:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
tell the other people...

they have a corporate policy allowing carry by customers,technically they cant ask you to leave without violating policy,so long as your obeying state law.

That's wrong - a command to leave by any agent of the owner must be obeyed not matter what so-called corporate policy might be.

Please do not spread misinformation that can get people arrested and make us look bad.

Tralpat

imported post

Mike wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
tell the other people...

That's wrong - a command to leave by any agent of the owner must be obeyed not matter what so-called corporate policy might be.

Please do not spread misinformation that can get people arrested and make us look bad.
I don't think the intent was to spread misinformation. However, the comment wasn't totally wrong. Wal-Mart does have that policy. I wouldn't have said that they can't ask you to leave but would have said they shouldn't ask.

The comment that you can't carry in Wal-Mart blew my mind anyway. I invited any one of the naysayers to come with me for a day and see how much hate and discontent I cause when I carry. I think they would be surprised. I don't think that any one will take me up on my offer.

Decoligny

imported post

ed wrote:
Tralpat wrote:

2147873.gif
That's like saying that because your car is insured by Gieco it is actaully the property ofa little green lizard!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

What is most amazing about those who spout such "facts" with so much pretense of authority is that they do so while wearing the mantra of being :"all knowing and wise". How dare someone question their obvious superior knowledge of all manner of such things.

Don't you just love to shut people like this down?

Pagan

imported post

Funny, since whenI carry, most people assume I am the authority of knowledge, and ask ME questions instead trying to dictate to me the law,lol, perhapsI should get out more.

2a4all

imported post

While attending (OCing at) the York County BoS meeting, I was asked a number of questions by several other attendees, ranging from what I was carrying,how I carry my holster, current status of laws, where one may OC/CC, etc.

I always give anyone who asks such questions an orange VCDL card.

When I returned to my seat after videoing PVC, the woman seated next to me (weak side)asked (jokingly) "I didn't know you were packing. Should I be scared?"

Tralpat

imported post

I would agree that I am usually asked questions about OC. However, on this occasion being at a school, I was not carrying.