• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can you haggle over price on any new gun?

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

if the gun i'm looking at has a msrp of $505 what should i pay for it?

is there a way to find out how much a dealer pays for invoice like you can with a car?

:idea:

goforlow

imported post

Not enough info to tell you what to pay. But, of course you can haggle over the price. You do not have to pay MSRP for anything if you don't want to. Some stores will not sell to you for anything other than the prices on the "sticker", but some will. Try and find out.

As for a list of dealers cost? I do not know of any. But the dealer that buys 5 guns a year and the stores like Gander Mountain that buy 500 a year will have different prices.

tcmech

imported post

Not sure what your local dealers are like but if you are willing to walk away from a purchase if they won't meet your price then haggle with them.

jaiotu

imported post

You have a better chance of haggling over the price if you buy at a gun show. Go in with the exact amount of cash you intend to spend on the purchase. Pull the cash and tell the seller you are willing to spend $XXX.XX on the purchase.

That flash of cashy money might be enough to push a deal through.

ecocks

imported post

My suggestion for market pricing estimation.

The Internet is your friend.

Check Buds Guns through the Powersearch feature and then think about the normal dealer transfer fees. It's a common sense search enginefor finding all kinds of stuff (scopes, bi-pods, rifles, rangefinder, you name it). While I am sure everyone has their favorite sources, these are my goto's for specs, pics, availabilityand basic pricing information.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_cat_search.php?cated=40

Check Impact Gunsfor their store prices.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/index.html

Check Cabela's by searching in Google for "Cabela's M&P .40" (example of gun name).

As for haggling, if you live in a competitive market you should always be able to get the chains (Sportsmen's, Cabela's, gander, etc.) to meet each others' lowest pricing so don't hesitate to ask. You need to consider carefully whether you're going to expect a smaller, independentdealer to meet chain pricing. They oftentimesdon't have the economies ofscale to lower price or cost so decide what the level of service and value are from them before beating them up unfairly.

Shopping is fun.

Enjoy!

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

what about the brady check fee?

the one dealer charges $25

he wants to sell me a gun with a msrp of $505 for $485 + $25 brady and tax

should i offer $475 plus the other bs?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ecocks wrote:
My suggestion for market pricing estimation.

The Internet is your friend.

Check Buds Guns through the Powersearch feature and then think about the normal dealer transfer fees. It's a common sense search enginefor finding all kinds of stuff (scopes, bi-pods, rifles, rangefinder, you name it). While I am sure everyone has their favorite sources, these are my goto's for specs, pics, availabilityand basic pricing information.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_cat_search.php?cated=40

Check Impact Gunsfor their store prices.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/index.html

Check Cabela's by searching in Google for "Cabela's M&P .40" (example of gun name).

As for haggling, if you live in a competitive market you should always be able to get the chains (Sportsmen's, Cabela's, gander, etc.) to meet each others' lowest pricing so don't hesitate to ask. You need to consider carefully whether you're going to expect a smaller, independentdealer to meet chain pricing. They oftentimesdon't have the economies ofscale to lower price or cost so decide what the level of service and value are from them before beating them up unfairly.

Shopping is fun.

Enjoy!

+1

Also, realize the small gun dealer or gun-show dealer is going to be familiar with Internet data, and other market information. If he is any sort of haggler himself, expect to be countered. For example,

You: "Yeah, yeah. But, I can get this gun fromFreds Wonderful Guns internet site for$60 dollars less."

Him: "Yes. But, you will spend $50 on transfer fees and shipping. So, really you are only paying a $10 premium to be able to get the gun today instead of in two weeks. That's a bargain! Will you be paying with cash orcredit card?"

The moral is that the more information you have, the better. But, don't forget you are haggling in his area of expertise. So, be prepared to counter-counter-haggle.

ecocks

imported post

ericfrompahrump wrote:
what about the brady check fee?

the one dealer charges $25

he wants to sell me a gun with a msrp of $505 for $485 + $25 brady and tax

should i offer $475 plus the other bs?
Did you read what I wrote? That's the dealer transfer/handling fee. Check prices on the Internet and add the fee,then look over the chainswith local presence in your market. Remember taxes. Make your decision as to source.

Of course, if you would just name the firearm model and style you want, you'd get a lot more specific infomation from the people on this forum who are willing to help despite your history to date.

BTW, no one really gives a damn about the firearm's MSRP so quit mentioning it. This isn't really anything like buying a car. We work from cost up, not MSRP down.

ecocks

imported post

In Las Vegas for the 870 I'd check Dick's and expect to pay roughly $460-470+tax.

For the S&W 686 w/ 6" barrel, I'd expect to pay around $710-720+tax.

You can get the S&W from Buds for $650+transfer fee from Buds.

You go to the dealers nearest you (or call) and ask what they will charge for a transfer fee. When you are sure you know their total add-on charge(s) to complete the purchase, you decide who you will use, get their FFL number and order it from Buds to be shipped to that dealer.

Good luck.

Jack House

imported post

ecocks wrote:
BTW, no one really gives a damn about the firearm's MSRP so quit mentioning it. This isn't really anything like buying a car. We work from cost up, not MSRP down.
More about this please.

ecocks

imported post

I'm not a dealer, just explaining to Eric that this industry is not like buying a car. No one pays attention to MSRP. Dealers work from what they pay (cost) then adjust priceup to cover profit, overheadandfee charges.

You can see this from the advertising, no one quotes MSRP and discount figures during the sales process.

45acpForMe

imported post

I usually go to GunBroker.com and watch for a few days or weeks to see what they are going for. Sometimes you can find great deals sometimes not.

By the time you add shipping (tax if applicable) transfer fee and the time waiting for the auction to end and shipping to take it is sometimes better if you can find it locally. I found my local dealer averages about $100 over what I can get online but sometimes that $100 is $300 so it makes sense to do your homework online first.

Also at most guns auction sites if you pay by credit card they charge 3-5% extra.

The main reason I buy online is selection. Most gun shops deal in a few brands and have a pretty limited selection. Gun shows "can" be better but come around only every couple months.

So haggling locally is possible but I would think with the cost of the storefront you aren't going to save a large percentage. You are always capable of making an offer and if the gun has sat there long enough they may take it.

LegitMW

imported post

Haggling is always an option.

Best strategy is to say here is XXX amount of money. and lay out the cash in front of them. Then dont say anything. let them think. If they say no. Walk away. Most of the time they will stop you before you leave because they decided they want the money.

t33j

imported post

ericfrompahrump wrote:
I have an 870 Express Tactical and paid much less than $505 for it at a local gun store last Fall/Winter. Shot 3 hand tossed clays out of the air with it the other weekend.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LegitMW wrote:

Best strategy is to say here is XXX amount of money. and lay out the cash in front of them. Then dont say anything. let them think. If they say no. Walk away. Most of the time they will stop you before you leave because they decided they want the money.

That's good toknow.

You just have to be ready in case he is not one of the "most of the time" sellers.

A fun haggle to watch is Scatman Crothers trying to buy John Wayne's horse in The Shootist. Moses (Crothers) keeps laying down moneya few bills at a time, and Books (Wayne) firmly shakes his headand says "no" each time, except the last.

"Moses, I want to sell my horse, but this wouldn't buy my saddle."

Jack House

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
Gun shows "can" be better but come around only every couple months.
Actually, here in Texas, they happen almost every day it seems. :p

Thank you, all of you, for the advice. It is much appreciated!

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

Citizen wrote:
LegitMW wrote:

That's good toknow.

You just have to be ready in case he is not one of the "most of the time" sellers.

A fun haggle to watch is Scatman Crothers trying to buy John Wayne's horse in The Shootist. Moses (Crothers) keeps laying down moneya few bills at a time, and Books (Wayne) firmly shakes his headand says "no" each time, except the last.

"Moses, I want to sell my horse, but this wouldn't buy my saddle."
who is john wayne?