• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can you haggle over price on any new gun?

crisisweasel

imported post

The best way to get a market price on a gun is by going to:

http://www.galleryofguns.com

Click Gun Genie.

Fill out the form for the gun you're looking for.

Click search.

Click on a result.

Then, click Instant Quote. This will give you the price of the gun at a local retailer who does business with GoG as a distributor.

So as an example, I see that a Ruger GP100 has an MSRP of $701.00, and retailers near me sell it for $503 - $530.

Compare this with Impact Guns and Bud's Gun Shop. Add perhaps $40 or $50 to those prices (unless you live local to them; not sure if they have storefronts) to account for FFL transfer fees, shipping, shipping insurance, and general inconvenience, to get the "actual" price.

When I go to gun shows, I have a pre-compiled list of these prices to compare with what I see. Gun shows also entail an "inconvenience adjuster" if the vendor is from out of town, given the possibility of having something wrong with the gun and having to deal with a shipping hassle.

In my experience - just my opinion - it is best to establish a relationship with a local gun dealer - such as a retailer, and give a little room on the price for the convenience, should something be wrong and you have to take it back (for warranty or gunsmithing).

ecocks

imported post

Using the abovemethod of pricing guns for your area (Eric)you get pricing ranging from $907 to $1,063 on the S&W 686 Plus w/ 6" barrel. That is way out of whack.

The 870 Express Tactical you were looking for shows out-of-stock and no quote available.

Interestingly I priced a CZ-P06 on the GoG system and noticed that the Impact price is listed as $643.49 (total $700.05) then adds an "additional fee" of $17.95, yet on their company website it is listed at $629.99. This leads me to suspect that the GoG system is either marking up weapons or, more simply, flawed somehow.

Personally, I found that GoG was useful to search for pics and specsoccasionally in the past but would never consider using it as a price estimation system or buying through their dealer network.

You're a big boy Eric, "do what you're of a mind to" as we say back home.

crisisweasel

imported post

ecocks wrote:
Using the above method of pricing guns for your area (Eric) you get pricing ranging from $907 to $1,063 on the S&W 686 Plus w/ 6" barrel. That is way out of whack.

For Pahrump, even the Performance Center version of the 686+ with 6" barrel starts out at $793.49:

http://www.galleryofguns.com/Genie/Results.aspx?pg=bids&id=93821010673203S

I rarely find GoG out of whack with what I find elsewhere, but whatever works.

aztarheel

imported post

Hi,

My name is Bryan Tucker the CEO/President of Davidson's Gallery of Guns. I have been following the discussion regarding the relative pricing of the 686+ being discussed. While our site does not always produce the lowest possible prices, I believe the comparisons being made are not necessarily accurate.

The Gun Genie information is based on the Performance Center 686+ Mfg code 178030, which I could not find located on Impact Guns website. As far as pricing, and additional fees that is all controlled individually by our dealers.

The prices you get from our dealers are all inclusive of freight, background check fees (some states), and state sales taxes. In most states even if an item isacquired from out of state there are use taxes due by the purchaser. Some states are really getting aggressive in going after use taxes as evidenced by North Carolina's recent battles with Amazon.com toaccess their purchase records.

Also it is important to consider that all guns purchased through us come with a Lifetime Replacement Warranty against defect, are covered by substantial product liability insurance and that we spends lots of money and time in support of our industry.

Any considerations given to our company and services are greatly appreciated, as are the postings in support of us.

Sincerely,

Bryan Tucker

ecocks

imported post

aztarheel wrote:
Hi,

My name is Bryan Tucker the CEO/President of Davidson's Gallery of Guns. I have been following the discussion regarding the relative pricing of the 686+ being discussed. While our site does not always produce the lowest possible prices, I believe the comparisons being made are not necessarily accurate.

The Gun Genie information is based on the Performance Center 686+ Mfg code 178030, which I could not find located on Impact Guns website. As far as pricing, and additional fees that is all controlled individually by our dealers.

The prices you get from our dealers are all inclusive of freight, background check fees (some states), and state sales taxes. In most states even if an item isacquired from out of state there are use taxes due by the purchaser. Some states are really getting aggressive in going after use taxes as evidenced by North Carolina's recent battles with Amazon.com toaccess their purchase records.

Also it is important to consider that all guns purchased through us come with a Lifetime Replacement Warranty against defect, are covered by substantial product liability insurance and that we spends lots of money and time in support of our industry.

Any considerations given to our company and services are greatly appreciated, as are the postings in support of us.

Sincerely,

Bryan Tucker
Bryan:

I have used your site from time to time over the years and, as said, found it to be useful for general review and specifications, even locating dealers which carry them in my area.

Impact sells the 686 Plus.357 Magnum w/6" barrel, Model Number 164198 (per Eric's Post)for $713.99. It is about 2/3 of the way towards the bottom of the S&W Revolvers' page on the right side. Thismodel number on your site (page 2) shows as out-of-stock so it is not useful for the discussion of getting pricing infoon that specific model either. However, Impact does not have a store in his area so the info on Bud's was thrown in there for a comparison. Cabela's lists the 686+ at $649.99 but there's no nearby Cabela's either.

He was not looking for a source, only comparative and competitive pricing info to assist him in "haggling" for a new purchase.

You didn'tcomment onthe discrepancy of the Impact Guns CZ-P06. Any idea why the difference in their site and your system's quote?

ecocks

imported post

BTW Eric, I am heartened you are going to buy American this time around.

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

ecocks wrote:
BTW Eric, I am heartened you are going to buy American this time around.
i always buy american whenever possible the armscor i bought used because i still had a nj license at the time and dealers wont seel to me since then i have changed my stuff over

ecocks

imported post

I'm really not a fan of buying them the cheapest place. I'm lucky enough to live in an area with an Impact, Cabela's, Sportsmen's Warehouse, Sports Authority, Dick's, several Big 5's AND quite a few gun dealers plus the pawn shop operations.

If you are absolutely determined to buy as cheaply as possible, query the surrounding dealers for who has that lowest transfer fee then spend some time on the Internet.

45acpForMe

imported post

aztarheel wrote:
My name is Bryan Tucker the CEO/President of Davidson's Gallery of Guns.

Bryan, Your site is useful and I use it occasionally. I have found that if you are trying to get a good deal, lurking on gunbroker.com works.

The last time I used your site I believe there were limitations on what guns you could search for like Sig Sauer so I found other sites to use to compliment yours.

So I don't want to malign your site, I just have found that it is part of a shopping picture rather than an a one stop shop.

aztarheel

imported post

Dear ecocks,

In regards to the CZP-06 the discrepancy I believe is in the freight charges, freight service level and the fact that the quotes that you would get from a dealer in your area from our service would be inclusive. If you had Impact ship it to a dealer in your area you would need to pay an additional transfer fee to that dealer. That is assuming that you wouldn't be picking it up directly from Impact.

When I checked it out on the Impact site and added the gun to my cart there was an additional 22.00 added for ground shipping and then the transfer fee would apply. The 17.95 extra charge you reference is our shipping charge for2 day air delivery to the dealer that is being passed on. Without any tax considerations our prices I believe would be very close.I would also like to point out that we typically ship within 24 -48 hours where they quote 5-7 days.

Also CZ sells to dealers at a price very close or equal to their distributor price, whereas pricing for a product from a line such as Ruger, who only sells to distributors may well show a greater discrepancy in our favor. The programs from various manufacturers vary greatly, some have such little profit in the program for a distributor that we may simply have choosen in the pastnot to carry the line (Sig), some only sell dealer direct (Kimber), some have a mixed program (Browning) and many sell direct to chains/big boxes.We would love to the one stop shop for everyone's gun needs, but it really isn't feasible. I really encourage consumers to shop around to see which source offers the best overall value - price, delivery, warranty, reputation, etc. I am pretty confident that any many cases we will prove to be a solid choice.

By the way Impact is a great dealer, a good customer of ours and very reputable, solid source for firearms.

I hope this helps, and if you or anyone reading this have any questions regarding our services, my cell phone is 928-925-6068. I am not always available, so leave a message, it may take me a little while, but I will make a concerted effort to respond.

Bryan Tucker

aztarheel

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
aztarheel wrote:
My name is Bryan Tucker the CEO/President of Davidson's Gallery of Guns.

Bryan, Your site is useful and I use it occasionally. I have found that if you are trying to get a good deal, lurking on gunbroker.com works.

The last time I used your site I believe there were limitations on what guns you could search for like Sig Sauer so I found other sites to use to compliment yours.

So I don't want to malign your site, I just have found that it is part of a shopping picture rather than an a one stop shop.
Your right because of manufacturer programs, their distribution strategies, etc.it is important to look aroundfor availability and the best offer, which I am sure may be different from product to product.

aztarheel

imported post

Most choose to use wholesalers such as ourselves, due to the fact that many times with the number of various models they stock and the length of time between production runs, they simply are not set up to stock the amount of inventory that would be required to insure timely delivery of their products.

The use of wholesalers also alleviates a lot of credit adminstration and provides additional sales efforts. We have 50 sales people that are daily talking to thousands of dealers across the country.

In short, wholesalers are basically aggregators of inventory, credit administrators, and sales contacts.

ecocks

imported post

aztarheel wrote:
Most choose to use wholesalers such as ourselves, due to the fact that many times with the number of various models they stock and the length of time between production runs, they simply are not set up to stock the amount of inventory that would be required to insure timely delivery of their products.

The use of wholesalers also alleviates a lot of credit adminstration and provides additional sales efforts. We have 50 sales people that are daily talking to thousands of dealers across the country.

In short, wholesalers are basically aggregators of inventory, credit administrators, and sales contacts.
Thank you for yourexplanation and advice.Your participation in the Handgun Selectionarea of the forumcould certainly provide our community a valuable source of information from a dealer's perspective. Aside from that, it's probably a reasonable expectation that you are personally "into" firearms like many of us and while you may live amidst gun oil and dealer representatives all day, we perhaps can provide you some info on typical customer reactions and attitudes.

With regard to my query on the CZ, we see some of the problem with the question asked regarding pricing versus selecting a source for purchase. I live about about5 miles from an Impact store soshipping charges do not apply. The store sells no higher than their website prices and sometimes lower. Additionally, there is a rich selection of several types of dealers to choose from in my home city. So, I gave Eric a method which should help him get to a fair street price in any location.

I had another question for folks which you may provide some insight on but will start a new thread in a fewminutes.