Thread: flat tire argument for CC or Oc

Post imported post

I had a friend recently ask me why I carried a gun all the time. My reponse was well do you have a spare tire for your truck ? Answer was "yes" I asked why. Friend stated the obvious in case I have a flat but what's that got to do with you carrying a gun all the time. I responded incase I get attacked. Friend responded that won't happen. I responded na guess not guess I won't ever have a flat tire either. Next time I saw my friend guess what ? Yep he had gone and bought a gun and had it on his hip and was waiting on his CHP. Used this same arguement this weekend with a girl I am seeing. Shestated "WOW" never thought about that. Then askwill you help me pick outa gun and help me learn to shoot and get my CHP. So in short if someone ask why ?Simply ask the flat tire question.

Post imported post

I used the same argument with my wife last weekend. It works very well.

Banned

Post imported post

I have clicked my seatbelt tens of thousands of times.

I haven't needed it yet.

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    I have clicked my seatbelt tens of thousands of times.

I haven't needed it yet.
    Many states have laws requiring both spare tires and seat belts. Shouldn't guns be required too?

Post imported post

i liked the anecdote i read somewhere here:

"a friend was visiting my house for a period of time and noticed i carry a gun all the time. she exclaimed, 'you carry a gun in your house?? is it loaded!? what, do you expect a burglar to break into your house at any minute?'

"and i replied 'no, i dont expect burglars. i dont expect a housefire either, but we have several fire extinguishers in the house - and they're loaded too.' "

Post imported post

"A gun is like a condom: Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Post imported post

daddy4count wrote:
    "A gun is like a condom: Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

I like that one xD:celebrate But I think the flat tire works better in the long run =P
    Code:
    (20) "defensive weapon" means an electric stun gun, or a device to dispense mace or a similar chemical agent, that is not designed to cause death or serious physical injury;

Post imported post

daddy4count wrote:

Condoms and guns both protect you in a way but guns do no prevent disease or pregnancy and guns are not disposable =D

Post imported post

TTcrunchberry wrote:
    daddy4count wrote:

Condoms and guns both protect you in a way but guns do no prevent disease or pregnancy and guns are not disposable =D
    While guns aren't disposable, one can argue that a gun can prevent disease and/or pregnancy, because a round to the right place can stop rape instantly.

Post imported post

Seat belts, bike helmets, speed limits, cross walks, child seats, life jackets and the list goes on. Why does it seem normal to societyforus toprotect ourselves from everything but a violent crime?
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox

We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

Post imported post

johnny amish wrote:
    Seat belts, bike helmets, speed limits, cross walks, child seats, life jackets and the list goes on. Why does it seem normal to societyforus toprotect ourselves from everything but a violent crime?
    (sarcasm on) because violent crimes are committed with/by guns so guns are inherently evil and terrible weapons of murder and destruction, and must cannot therefore not ever be used for good except in law enforcement and military fields where they need guns!!! (sarcasm off)

in all seriousness, because our society is

Post imported post

RPorter N wrote:
    johnny amish wrote:
    (sarcasm on) because violent crimes are committed with/by guns so guns are inherently evil and terrible weapons of murder and destruction, and must cannot therefore not ever be used for good except in law enforcement and military fields where they need guns!!! (sarcasm off)

in all seriousness, because our society is
    Right on.
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox

We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

Post imported post

USMC91E6 wrote:
    I used the same argument with my wife last weekend. It works very well.
    Exposure to reality and fact isn't really an argument at all.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Post imported post

TTcrunchberry wrote:
    daddy4count wrote:
    If it's a Jennings it is. And it may dispose of you right along with it... :P
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Post imported post

Porter N wrote:
    TTcrunchberry wrote:
    daddy4count wrote:

While guns aren't disposable, one can argue that a gun can prevent disease and/or pregnancy, because a round to the right place can stop rape instantly.
    ok...with rape yes, but I wasn't going there...I'm talkin about the fun stuff people CHOOSE!! =)

Post imported post

daddy4count wrote:

ha ha ha never thought of that comparison! That will replace my flat tire and fire extinguisher argument

Post imported post

I have used seatbelts ever since I got my first DL in 1980. I've logged 100's of thousands of miles in some of the most dangerous traffic in the country (the DC beltway for one).

My seatbelt saved my life once. I was in an accident that totaled the Saab 900t I was driving. It was so smashed up that it couldn't be towed--it had to be dragged onto a flatbed. I walked away from that incident with nothing more than a bruised wrist from the steering wheel and a bent cigarette case (from the shoulder belt).

I have had fire extinguishers in my kitchen, my workshop, and my vehicle for 20 years.

I have needed a fire extinguisher three times--once to help put out a car fire in the parking lot of my apartment in 1999, once to put out a neighbor's car fire in an accident that I happened upon in MD. (I also was fortunate enough to have a "first responder" bag in the car, and my friend who was also a First Responder with me, and we rendered aid to the injured occupants. It took EMS over 30 minuted to arrive on the scene...), and once to put out a small fire from a knocked-over Tiki Torch while camping (I HATE those darn things--a jar of Napalm on a springy stick, on fire at eye-level, usually in the immediate vicinity of drunken campers--BAD idea...)

I carry a firearm every day. and have done so nearly continuously since the late 1980's.

I've only needed it once, when attacked by a knife-wielding nut-case in VA in the mid-1990's. No shots fired--display was enough to make him drop his knife and run away...

Would I ever drive a car without a seatbelt? Heck no.

Would I ever move into a new house (or go on a road-trip, or go camping) without having fresh fire extinguishers at hand? No way.

Would I go about my daily affairs unarmed? Not on your life (unless prohibited by law).

All of these "safety tools" are an integral part of my life. I hope I never have need for them, but it just makes sense to be responsibly prepared for unpredictable circumstances....
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

Would I go about my daily affairs unarmed? Not on your life (unless prohibited by law).
    Really? Some stupid prohibition "law" cancels out all that good thinking and preparedness? I wonder why anyone would think that way.

So, if a "law" were passed that said nobody could have a fire extinguisher except police and firemen, you'd just get rid of yours?

Somehow, I doubt that very much.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

Post imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
    Really? Some stupid prohibition "law" cancels out all that good thinking and preparedness? I wonder why anyone would think that way.
    Primarily, I was making an oblique reference to the few instances when I venture "across the moat" into the PRM. Generally, I avoid places where I can't carry (post offices, bars, anti-2A businesses, etc). But I DO have an obligation to visit my family in MD. And although I probably could get away with CC while there, the fact is, that when I'm up there, I don't go out much, and DO carry in my house. Losing my 2A rights EVERYWHERE because of a BS firearms violation in MD just isn't worth the risk...

Fact is, in Howard, PG, Montgomery and Baltimore counties, you are at MUCH more risk to life, limb, and liberty from the LEOs if you ARE carrying, than you are from thugs if you're not...

But outside of MD, most everywhere I go, I carry, and if a business is posted, I either take my money elsewhere, or CC...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

Oh, I do understand, Dreamer... Each to his own and it's none of my business, but I just hate to see anyone kissing up to "authoritah" with a remark like that. We all have to deal with the reality of the stupidity all around us... but darn...

Of course, I can't understand why anyone who wants to own their life and take responsibility for their own safety would live there - anywhere on the east OR left coast.

But that's just me. Living free to OC, and pretty much everything else in Wyoming.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

Post imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
    Oh, I do understand, Dreamer... Each to his own and it's none of my business, but I just hate to see anyone kissing up to "authoritah" with a remark like that. We all have to deal with the reality of the stupidity all around us... but darn...
    I'm in total agreement with you on that.

But I also have seen the videos of John "Jack" McKenna, and he wasn't even armed...

I have worked with LEA's in MD (in a previous job) and I know how they think. I know how they train. I know how the prosecutors work. And needless to say, I fear "the system" in MD FAR more than I fear the "thug-life". It's a sick, sad situation, but it is the truth...

If I get mugged, I can most likely recover.

But if I get jacked by the police for carrying in MD, there is NO remedy...

It's a SICK situation when the only way to preserve your rights in lawful states is to relinquish them while traveling in lawless states. (and MD isn't so much a state as it is an organized criminal conspiracy...)

Of course, I can't understand why anyone who wants to own their life and take responsibility for their own safety would live there - anywhere on the east OR left coast.
    Again, I'm in total agreement with you on that. I've been working on my stepdaughters for three years to convince them to move out of MD at their earliest opportunity. One is in school there, and will most likely move when she graduates (although in her field, the two most attractive states for employment are NY and CA, which are no better than MD). The other has a baby, and a husband with a VERY good job, so getting them to move is a little more complicated. I am pushing them toward VA or WV, but it's an uphill battle. They are young, and don't really see the "bigger picture" yet...

But that's just me. Living free to OC, and pretty much everything else in Wyoming.
    I hear ya. If NH wasn't so darn cold, I'd move the whole "famn damily' up there. Now, THEY have it right with regards to the 2A...
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

used the flat tire before,as well as the fire extinguisher.

fire extinguisher works the best on people whom have been affected by fires imo.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

I just got back from an extended vacation and while out, suffered my 5th flat tire/blow-out in 30 years of driving. In these same 30 years, I've personally been shot at on 5 separate occasions. The last time, the party got off about 12-13 rounds while I flung my pregnant wife (8months) on the ground and laid on top of her...... Simple math shows me I'm AT LEAST as likely to be shot at as to have a flat. I don't go into the backwoods hunting without a spare tire either.
    Last edited by abearir; 07-24-2010 at 04:31 PM.