• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

flat tire argument for CC or Oc

queenannsrev

imported post

I had a friend recently ask me why I carried a gun all the time. My reponse was well do you have a spare tire for your truck ? Answer was "yes" I asked why. Friend stated the obvious in case I have a flat but what's that got to do with you carrying a gun all the time. I responded incase I get attacked. Friend responded that won't happen. I responded na guess not guess I won't ever have a flat tire either. Next time I saw my friend guess what ? Yep he had gone and bought a gun and had it on his hip and was waiting on his CHP. Used this same arguement this weekend with a girl I am seeing. Shestated "WOW" never thought about that. Then askwill you help me pick outa gun and help me learn to shoot and get my CHP. So in short if someone ask why ?Simply ask the flat tire question.

Daddyo

imported post

eye95 wrote:
I have clicked my seatbelt tens of thousands of times.

I haven't needed it yet.

Many states have laws requiring both spare tires and seat belts. Shouldn't guns be required too?

Porter N

imported post

i liked the anecdote i read somewhere here:

"a friend was visiting my house for a period of time and noticed i carry a gun all the time. she exclaimed, 'you carry a gun in your house?? is it loaded!? what, do you expect a burglar to break into your house at any minute?'

"and i replied 'no, i dont expect burglars. i dont expect a housefire either, but we have several fire extinguishers in the house - and they're loaded too.' "

xDayan

imported post

daddy4count wrote:
"A gun is like a condom: Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."
I like that one xD:celebrate But I think the flat tire works better in the long run =P

TTcrunchberry

imported post

daddy4count wrote:
"A gun is like a condom: Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."
Condoms and guns both protect you in a way but guns do no prevent disease or pregnancy and guns are not disposable =D

Porter N

imported post

TTcrunchberry wrote:
daddy4count wrote:
Condoms and guns both protect you in a way but guns do no prevent disease or pregnancy and guns are not disposable =D
While guns aren't disposable, one can argue that a gun can prevent disease and/or pregnancy, because a round to the right place can stop rape instantly.

johnny amish

imported post

Seat belts, bike helmets, speed limits, cross walks, child seats, life jackets and the list goes on. Why does it seem normal to societyforus toprotect ourselves from everything but a violent crime?

Porter N

imported post

johnny amish wrote:
Seat belts, bike helmets, speed limits, cross walks, child seats, life jackets and the list goes on. Why does it seem normal to societyforus toprotect ourselves from everything but a violent crime?
(sarcasm on) because violent crimes are committed with/by guns so guns are inherently evil and terrible weapons of murder and destruction, and must cannot therefore not ever be used for good except in law enforcement and military fields where they need guns!!! (sarcasm off)

in all seriousness, because our society is :cuss:

johnny amish

imported post

RPorter N wrote:
johnny amish wrote:
(sarcasm on) because violent crimes are committed with/by guns so guns are inherently evil and terrible weapons of murder and destruction, and must cannot therefore not ever be used for good except in law enforcement and military fields where they need guns!!! (sarcasm off)

in all seriousness, because our society is :cuss:
Right on.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TTcrunchberry wrote:
daddy4count wrote:
If it's a Jennings it is. And it may dispose of you right along with it... :p

TTcrunchberry

imported post

Porter N wrote:
TTcrunchberry wrote:
daddy4count wrote:
While guns aren't disposable, one can argue that a gun can prevent disease and/or pregnancy, because a round to the right place can stop rape instantly.
ok...with rape yes, but I wasn't going there...I'm talkin about the fun stuff people CHOOSE!! =)

younggun20

imported post

daddy4count wrote:
ha ha ha never thought of that comparison! That will replace my flat tire and fire extinguisher argument :D

Dreamer

imported post

I have used seatbelts ever since I got my first DL in 1980. I've logged 100's of thousands of miles in some of the most dangerous traffic in the country (the DC beltway for one).

My seatbelt saved my life once. I was in an accident that totaled the Saab 900t I was driving. It was so smashed up that it couldn't be towed--it had to be dragged onto a flatbed. I walked away from that incident with nothing more than a bruised wrist from the steering wheel and a bent cigarette case (from the shoulder belt).

I have had fire extinguishers in my kitchen, my workshop, and my vehicle for 20 years.

I have needed a fire extinguisher three times--once to help put out a car fire in the parking lot of my apartment in 1999, once to put out a neighbor's car fire in an accident that I happened upon in MD. (I also was fortunate enough to have a "first responder" bag in the car, and my friend who was also a First Responder with me, and we rendered aid to the injured occupants. It took EMS over 30 minuted to arrive on the scene...), and once to put out a small fire from a knocked-over Tiki Torch while camping (I HATE those darn things--a jar of Napalm on a springy stick, on fire at eye-level, usually in the immediate vicinity of drunken campers--BAD idea...)

I carry a firearm every day. and have done so nearly continuously since the late 1980's.

I've only needed it once, when attacked by a knife-wielding nut-case in VA in the mid-1990's. No shots fired--display was enough to make him drop his knife and run away...

Would I ever drive a car without a seatbelt? Heck no.

Would I ever move into a new house (or go on a road-trip, or go camping) without having fresh fire extinguishers at hand? No way.

Would I go about my daily affairs unarmed? Not on your life (unless prohibited by law).

All of these "safety tools" are an integral part of my life. I hope I never have need for them, but it just makes sense to be responsibly prepared for unpredictable circumstances....

MamaLiberty

imported post

Would I go about my daily affairs unarmed? Not on your life (unless prohibited by law).

Really? Some stupid prohibition "law" cancels out all that good thinking and preparedness? I wonder why anyone would think that way.

So, if a "law" were passed that said nobody could have a fire extinguisher except police and firemen, you'd just get rid of yours?

Somehow, I doubt that very much. :)

Dreamer

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
Really? Some stupid prohibition "law" cancels out all that good thinking and preparedness? I wonder why anyone would think that way.

Primarily, I was making an oblique reference to the few instances when I venture "across the moat" into the PRM. Generally, I avoid places where I can't carry (post offices, bars, anti-2A businesses, etc). But I DO have an obligation to visit my family in MD. And although I probably could get away with CC while there, the fact is, that when I'm up there, I don't go out much, and DO carry in my house. Losing my 2A rights EVERYWHERE because of a BS firearms violation in MD just isn't worth the risk...

Fact is, in Howard, PG, Montgomery and Baltimore counties, you are at MUCH more risk to life, limb, and liberty from the LEOs if you ARE carrying, than you are from thugs if you're not...

But outside of MD, most everywhere I go, I carry, and if a business is posted, I either take my money elsewhere, or CC...

MamaLiberty

imported post

Oh, I do understand, Dreamer... Each to his own and it's none of my business, but I just hate to see anyone kissing up to "authoritah" with a remark like that. We all have to deal with the reality of the stupidity all around us... but darn...

Of course, I can't understand why anyone who wants to own their life and take responsibility for their own safety would live there - anywhere on the east OR left coast.

But that's just me. Living free to OC, and pretty much everything else in Wyoming. :D