• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flat tire argument for OC or CC

queenannsrev

imported post

I had a friend recently ask me why I carried a gun all the time. My reponse was well do you have a spare tire for your truck ? Answer was "yes" I asked why. Friend stated the obvious in case I have a flat but what's that got to do with you carrying a gun all the time. I responded incase I get attacked. Friend responded that won't happen. I responded na guess not guess I won't ever have a flat tire either. Next time I saw my friend guess what ? Yep he had gone and bought a gun and had it on his hip and was waiting on his CHP. Used this same arguement this weekend with a girl I am seeing. Shestated "WOW" never thought about that. Then askwill you help me pick outa gun and help me learn to shoot and get my CHP. So in short if someone ask why ?Simply ask the flat tire question.

maverick2694

imported post

I like that. I also like to respond by asking if they keep a fire extinguisher in their house, or if they wear a seatbelt while driving.

nova

imported post

When someone says that you only carry a gun because you hope to need to use it one day, counter with "so because I have a fire extinguisher in my home, I hope my house catches fire?" or "So because I have a spare tire in my vehicle, I hope to get a flat tire on the side of I-81?"

Riana

imported post

ed wrote:
maverick2694 wrote:
I like that. I also like to respond by asking if they keep a fire extinguisher in their house, or if they wear a seatbelt while driving.
Seatbelts are required by law.. thats why i wear one :p
Only in some states (some days, I really miss visiting NH...:celebrate)

wylde007

imported post

ed wrote:
Seatbelts are required by law.. that's why i wear one :p
Same goes for helmets with a lot of riders I know.

I like that. I also like to respond by asking if they keep a fire extinguisher in their house,
And aside from the implications of having a fire extinguisher or spare tire for emergencies what else is important?

Having it fully functioning, regularly checked/tested, familiarizing yourself with its use and making sure it's loaded.

A spare tire is great when you need it... unless it is also flat. A fire extinguisher can save your home or even your life... unless it is empty.

The same logic applies to personal defense weapons.

XDUser

imported post

I do not push the issue with the anti's.
In the short time I have been carrying I have come to the conclusion that I am not the person to attempt to change their minds or enter a debate about carry of weapons. The people that almost foam at the mouth at the idea of restricting side-arms tickle my knee-jerk reaction to slap the crap out of them. Easier to avoid those foolish people and let them go on believing what they wish.

I only wish the anti's would at least respect my right to carry. I respect their opinion even if I disagree with it so why can they not accept my right to carry.

virginiatuck

imported post

XDUser wrote:
I only wish the anti's would at least respect my right to carry. I respect their opinion even if I disagree with it so why can they not accept my right to carry[?]
Then you'd be right and they'd be wrong...

PS: When I saw this topic, Flat Tire Argument for OC or CC, I thought it had something to do with OC or CC'ers having certain prevailing body types. :D

Wooley

imported post

I think I'm stealing this from someone on the Va boards and I don't remember who said it, but I like the seatbelt arguement with a skew...to those that don't like me carrying, I don't like you wearing a seatbelt. I know you're just trying to take all the precaution you can and stay safe, but I don't like it. You most certainly may not wear a seat belt if you ride in my car.