• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC into Vehicle Inspection Stations?

Mech

imported post

Hi all, had something happen today that I'm reflecting upon now, and I have a question.

I received a letter for vehicle tab renewal yesterday and on it, it indicated my car needed an emission test. So today, while on a run to Walmart, I saw that I had some extra time so diverted to the local emission test station.

Got my ticket number and waited for an agent while sitting in my car. My mom had told me that for such inspections I didn't have to step out of the car. Apparently she was wrong. The lady who inspected my car was very nice and cheery, and to be honest, I was a little surprised when she asked me to step out of the car and wait on one side (given what my mom had told me above). When she asked me to step back into the car she also asked me casually "Is that a live firearm?" To which I replied, yes ma'am.

She then proceeded with the rest of the test, didn't act weird or scared or anything; didn't even bat an eye, really.

At the end of the test she told me my car passed and also commented how cool it is for me to be carrying my firearm like that. I asked her if it's legal here at the facility, she said she wasn't totally sure but would ask her supervisor if I'd like, and that personally she had no problem with it.

I told her it was alright and also that OC is legal in WA unless where clearly prohibited by signs and legislations; she asked me since the station is a state-licensed facility, where the legality would stand.

Now her question stomped me, largely due to my own ignorance. I know we can NOT carry anything into post office facility, in restaurant AREAS that are clearly off limits to minors, bars, etc, and that court houses/police stations should provide lockers for you to secure your firearm. However, what about state-level buildings like the DMV, especially out-door ones such as emission testing stations? I didn't see any sign driving up to it; am I to assume it's alright to do so?

I hope I didn't break any laws; it was really a last minute decision and I had gotten so used to the firearm that I practically forgot it's existence while I was driving. (Well, I guess more like I'm treating it just like my watch/cell phone/wallet, I'm acutely aware of it being there but I can go about my day just fine).

devildoc5

imported post

I am not sure how it is in WA but in CA we actually go to an auto mechanic that is licensed by the state to provide the SMOG checks then they give you a reciept and you take it into the DMV afterwards.

Providing it is the same here it would fall under the private business and would have to set its own regulations or "rules" as such.

If it is actually at the DMV office I would be at a loss as that is something I havent been prvy to as of yet...

Mech

imported post

Thanks for your fast response DevilDoc!

As I've noted in my original post, the lady mentioned the station I was at was a a state facility, so I guess it wouldn't be a private business? Although they had signs that read "make checks payable to *****", which to me sounded like a name for a mechanic shop, so I'm confused as well.

And I hear ya about the DMV...

devildoc5

imported post

Like I said if it is a state approved facility it should fall under the private business aspect. And thatsounds lie what you are describing to me...

I guess the best test would be is ifb you are allowed to get plates/dl there or if it is just smog checks...

Unless one of the more experienced members can provide further insight to this matter..

Mech

imported post

Ah yes I hear ya.

Well, I noticed that the facility had several signs saying that the place is under video surveillance. If anyone comes knocking on my door in the middle of the night...well I guess I'll know if it's legal or not to OC there? haha

(totally just kidding about the door knocking; the signs ARE there though!)

deanf

imported post

It's not a prohibited location in the RCWs.

Beware of the preemption argument that will certainly be unleashed in this thread.

Preemption does not apply to state agencies; only local governments.

If there was a ban, the proper argument against it would be constitutionality (at the state level), not preemption.

Metalhead47

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
DMV has been schooled on the legality of legaly armed citizens!
not preemption,,,,, but 9.41.300 and
article 1, section 24 Washington state constitution.
+1, NavyLT nipped that in the bud a while back when a DMV office tried to give him flak. If the testing station is indeed a state-owned facility (and I'm pretty sure it is), you cannot be prohibited from carrying there (as the RCW is very specific on what state-owned premises are off-limits.)

Aaron1124

imported post

deanf wrote:
It's not a prohibited location in the RCWs.

Beware of the preemption argument that will certainly be unleashed in this thread.

Preemption does not apply to state agencies; only local governments.

If there was a ban, the proper argument against it would be constitutionality (at the state level), not preemption.
It doesn't apply to state agencies, because the state cannot preempt itself. That would be like creating laws for yourself.

joeroket

imported post

The testing stations are not part of Wa. DMV. They are overseen by the Wa. Dept. of Ecology but operated by a third-party. It is completely lawful to carry at the testing stations. However it is also completely within the powers of the operator, ApPlus+ Tech., to restrict the carry of firearms.

Aaron1124

imported post

joeroket wrote:
The testing stations are not part of Wa. DMV. They are overseen by the Wa. Dept. of Ecology but operated by a third-party. It is completely lawful to carry at the testing stations. However it is also completely within the powers of the operator, ApPlus+ Tech., to restrict the carry of firearms.
Private ownership then, huh?

joeroket

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Private ownership then, huh?
I am not sure if the buildings are state owned but leased out or not. ApPlus+ Tech is in control of the property though.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Why ask if it's legal? Especially if there was no problem with your carrying a firearm? We should always assume our state rights are legal.

I agree with DeanF that pre-emption doesn't apply but State law describes were you can't carry. So I would personally feel that these agencies would not be able to create more restrictive laws than what the state law is.

Would be like the Mayor of Seattle creating strict J-walking laws but then stating he can Jay-walk because he made the law so it doesn't apply to him. (I think J-walking laws are ridiculous)

Aaron1124

imported post

Even though the state cannot preempt itself, a state agency can not make it *unlawful* to possess a firearm on the property. Only the Legislature can do that.

Freedom1Man

With the spread of the electronic products,the paper made products have been replaced gradually.The collection of stamps or any other paper made things can be sensible.However the electronic products also have two sides.They can also make people annoyed with the noise pollution.Then to block the signals people choose the XXXX to help to create quiet conditions.

flagged

Last edited by a moderator:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
With the spread of the electronic products,the paper made products have been replaced gradually.The collection of stamps or any other paper made things can be sensible.However the electronic products also have two sides.They can also make people annoyed with the noise pollution.Then to block the signals people choose the XXXX to help to create quiet conditions.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Last edited by a moderator: