• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stopped by security while OCing in Town Square.

TaftPRead

imported post

I went to go see a movie at Town Square and I carry there quite often. I have never had a problem there besides one incident actually inside the theater, but the manager had come to me himself and specifically told me it was OK.

Anyways as I was walking out of the theater I was approached by a security guard who seemed to be in charge of the outside area being that he was on a bicycle. He told me (with glazed eyes and a look of him about to piss himself) that there are no firearms allowed on the premises. I calmly (which didn't seem to ease his distress) told him that I had been carrying here for over a year.

He pulled a business card type looking thing out of his pocket and it had miscellaneous rules on it, none of which I bothered to pay any attention to except for the one he pointed out being "Number 11."

I looked at it and it advised just like he said that no firearms are allowed on the premises. Now anyone who has walked through Town Square knows the area is quite large, and it also seems to me to be a public area. So do they have a right to ask someone not to carry firearms. And if next time they ask me to leave, must I leave the entire premises. I'm curious as to what the rules are being that I read that special little card that he had handy in his pocket. Does anyone have any information on this or care to comment?

Vegassteve

imported post

I dont think that any of that area is public property. In fact if you look through this forum you will see that some OC folks were tossed a few weeks ago as well.

sslade6751

imported post

Yep I was with the meetup when we went through town square. They had a sign turned sideways with the rules that none of us saw until we were approached by a supervisor (who was real cool about it) all though all of the security seemed a bit nervous with a bunch of guys carrying better guns then they had

bottom line is that its private property open to the public they have the right to ask you to tell you to leave the property with your firearm and if you refuse they can trespass you then if you still refuse you are in violation of trespassingNRS 207.200

the law abouta gunon public property is NRS 202.3673 its under concealed weapons but i belive it is valid for open carry

A public building that has a metal detector at each public entrance or a sign posted at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building, unless the permittee is not prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subsection 4

how ever a public building is defined as

(b) “Public building” means any building or office space occupied by:

(1) Any component of the Nevada System of Higher Education and used for any purpose related to the System; or

(2) The Federal Government, the State of Nevada or any county, city, school district or other political subdivision of the State of Nevada and used for any public purpose.

so unless town square is owned by the goverment for public government business you arent breaking any firearm laws

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Didn't you read the report when like 15 of us got barred from entry to Town Square before we even entered the property? There are signs at every entrance to the place with a full list of rules. I believe its like #11 that says no firearms.

aadvark

imported post

Nevada Revised Statute NRS 202.3673 only prohibits Concealed Firearms from being Carried onto the premises of a Public Building, unless; the Person meets one of the Statutory exemptions contained under NRS 202.3673.

Open Carry is not Illegal in Public Buildings throughout Nevada, with the exception of Schools and Nevada Higher Learning Property, pursuant to NRS 202.265.

Therefore, apparently, you can Open Carry anywhere in Nevada except the places named under NRS 202.265, however; if you live in a County/Metropolitans/City, for more than 60 days, with a population of 400,000 or more, then, you must:

1. Registar any Concealable Firearm (any Firearm with a Barrel of less than 12'') that you have, and

2. Keep proof of the Registry with the all-mighty 'Blue Card'.

You do not have to Carry the Blue Card on you though, in order to Open Carry.

In short: Open Carry is Legal anywhere in Nevada, including Clark County, and you may Openly Carry your Firearm anywhere you want except Schools.

TaftPRead

imported post

Bravo, I didn't get a chance to read that. I just came on here and posted without reading anything as I was tired and wanted to go to bed. But yeah you are correct it is #11 that says that no firearms are allowed. I actually didn't see any signs that said that. The thing I saw was a business card looking thing that he pulled out of his pocket.

The whole thing just surprised me because I have been carrying there for a really long time and I have never been approached by anyone regarding the matter before that night.

Nevada carrier

imported post

It seems to me that they are kicking people off the property quite often, in fact they are doing it often enough that they should be able to notice that it's enough to perhaps rethink the wisdom of telling law abiding citizens they can't spend their money there during the worst economic times since the Depression.

TaftPRead

imported post

Town Sqaure makes so much money and there are so many people that go through that area. I don't really think they are going to see too much of a difference asking people to leave (assuming that these people don't come back). There are enough tourists that go over to that area. Unfortunately I don't think it is going to effect them, as much as I would like to say that it would.