Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you confident in your weapons retention skills?

Post imported post

I am curious about this... how many of us have had weapons retention training? ...and practice it regularly? If someone had the drop on you (and they always do), could you prevent them from taking your gun?

I have limited martial arts training. I have watched videos on weapons retention techniques and I have practiced them with a friend. However, when I am in a populated area, I am very conscious of anyone close to me. That can put me on edge when there are lots of people around. Sometimes, if I will be in a place with lots of people around, I do not want to OC. I am not that confident in my weapons retention skills.

Who feels the same way in this aspect of OC?

P.S. Yes, I would love to take a class. However, I am barely paying my bills now. Maybe some day.
    IBTL

Post imported post

ShooterMcGavin wrote:
    I am curious about this... how many of us have had weapons retention training? ...and practice it regularly? If someone had the drop on you (and they always do), could you prevent them from taking your gun?

I have limited martial arts training. I have watched videos on weapons retention techniques and I have practiced them with a friend. However, when I am in a populated area, I am very conscious of anyone close to me. That can put me on edge when there are lots of people around. Sometimes, if I will be in a place with lots of people around, I do not want to OC. I am not that confident in my weapons retention skills.

P.S. Yes, I would love to take a class. However, I am barely paying my bills now. Maybe some day.
    Truthfully: most weapons retention is easy. The question is really: if someone approaches you with a weapon drawn, what's your strategy?
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Post imported post

My solution is, always travel with an armed wife. :celebrate
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

A lot has to do with mentality. I think about this everyonce in awhile, I am very very leary of taking someones life, would this cause me to pause long enough if in the very unlikely chance this would happen?

This doesn't mean it can't or won't happen, LEO are trained and it happens to them. Situational awareness (without paranoia) is your best defense.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

I carry in a horizontal shoulder holster that carries the gun high. the top of the holster rests right where my lateral muscles taper in. that way my arm can hang normally and keep my gun trapped to my body without causing discomfort. If someone tried to grab my gun they would have to do it from the front. I have long legs and there is a good chance they would get kicked in theball sackbefore they could grab it.

Post imported post

I understand concerns about a gun grab from a holster, especially for folks who OC.

I'd just point out that I've taken a class in handgun retention and disarming, and only about 5% of the class time was spent on dealing with retaining your gun when someone tries to take it from your holster. 95% of the class time was spent on learning various disarm techniques and learning to thwart those techniques *when the gun is already out of the holster*.

So if y'all are thinking "Oh, I don't need to worry about taking a class in retention techniques, I've got a retention holster", I think you're missing the point. The real value of such classes is that they teach you how to keep your gun when you're in a tussle, as you might need to do if you actually used your gun to defend yourself.

Post imported post

+ plus a backup does quite nicely!

I like that thinking, I have been trying to talk my wife into letting me get a backup wife for the longest time.... The discussion always ends with something like "over your dead body" from my wife. :shock:

bob

Post imported post

I carry a bug. Keltec P32. It weighs less than 8oz. loaded! with a clip it goes in my back pocket and looks like a knife clip. (I carry my very small wallet in my front left pocket). If my OC weapon was to be taken...I am sure that my Keltec would be deployed.
    Live Free or Die!

Post imported post

BobR wrote:
    + plus a backup does quite nicely!

I like that thinking, I have been trying to talk my wife into letting me get a backup wife for the longest time.... The discussion always ends with something like "over your dead body" from my wife. :shock:

bob
    The logic behind it is rock solid though. I myself would have liked to have a back up wife when I was married, although looking back I am glad cause i couldnt put up with her let alone another one....
    "And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    E nomine Patri, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."

"If the rest of the world says: 'War,' I can only say: 'Very well. I do not want war, but no one, however peaceable, can live in peace if his neighbor intends to force a quarrel.'" - Adolf Hitler...

Post imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
    Very soon I will be able to say this !
    I am a Sheep Dog, ... Wolves Beware !

Post imported post

I probably am. 10+ years of martial arts boiled down to an elbow or fingers to the throat or eyes.
    "Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world." ~ Musashi

Post imported post

ShooterMcGavin wrote:

Weapon retention and empty hands self defense are things I have been wanting to learn for awhile. Saturday I am taking a self defense class for women. I am looking forward to it. I will ask about moves I could do to avoid a gun grab or break someone's hold on the gun.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Post imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
    I have a back-up gun too, it's in my spouses holster
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Post imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
    Metalhead47 wrote:
    I've always said, the family that shoots together, stays together

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
    Sylvia Plath wrote:
    Metalhead47 wrote:

This reminds me when I am fluid again I am going to purchase my wife a 12 gauge street sweeper she seems to have a blast with them. I was going to get her a .20 guage but she handles loves shooting a friggin .12
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
    Metalhead47 wrote:
    Sylvia Plath wrote:
    Metalhead47 wrote:

This reminds me when I am fluid again I am going to purchase my wife a 12 gauge street sweeper she seems to have a blast with them. I was going to get her a .20 guage but she handles loves shooting a friggin .12
    Hey can ya get her to talk to my wife? She tried the 12ga once & refuses to touch it anymore :what:

Post imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
    Hey can ya get her to talk to my wife? She tried the 12ga once & refuses to touch it anymore :what:
    That just means more for you, right?

So far, I am not getting the impression that many people here have much training or experience fending off a gun grab. I'm not coming down on anyone. Maybe I just expect of myself that I be more prepared for "anything".
    IBTL

Post imported post

Just thought I would let you know that if you go to the main forum listings, click on Open Carry Questions, then click on the second topic, What if someone tries to take my firearm? there are some links to some videos that you may find helpful. Some of them have to do with gun retention and some with general self defense.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Post imported post

...but I'm still not able to find any instruction on personal self defense and firearm retention for the handicapped or disabled.

(I'll do the best I can, but I'm not going to guarantee its good.)
    No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: The officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets. -- Edward Abbey

• • • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Faciémus!• • •

Post imported post

Tomas:

If you don't mind me asking, how are you disabled?

My elder brother was paralyzed from the waist down in an ATV accident two years ago. Since then, he has been in a couple situations that left he and I saying, "That could've been bad..." Ie, while pulling into a gas station in dallas at night, a woman started yelling to/at him... He thought that maybe he'd hit something or she needed help so he slowed down/stopped and had the window halfway down when the lady started to try to get in his truck in a bad way (acting like a crackhead). He drove off (her falling) and noticed that two black guys had appearently been rushing his drivers side while the female was flagging him down... Straight up ambush....

I've been highly encouraging him to get his cpl and practice better SA and to avoid bad areas altogether...

Post imported post

Ruby wrote:
    Just thought I would let you know that if you go to the main forum listings, click on Open Carry Questions, then click on the second topic, What if someone tries to take my firearm? there are some links to some videos that you may find helpful. Some of them have to do with gun retention and some with general self defense.
    http://tinyurl.com/2doltj8

Post imported post

I study Aikido with an emphasis on traps and throws based on gun grabs. Further, I carry a second weapon. If I could not stop a gun grab then my default mode would be to shoot the now armed assailant.

Post imported post

Tomas wrote:
    ...but I'm still not able to find any instruction on personal self defense and firearm retention for the handicapped or disabled.

(I'll do the best I can, but I'm not going to guarantee its good.)
    Tomas, I just typed into my browser " self defense for the handicapped" and lots of things came up. I don't have time to check them out because I am getting ready for work. There was one site that had video, and and there were other sites that looked interesting too. I have gotten pretty good results by just typing in my question or a description of what I'm looking for. Maybe you have already done this and didn't find anything helpful. I'm sure there is something out there somewhere, it just may be hard to find.

Post imported post

Wax on, Bullet off grasshopper.

The time to decide on retention is now. If you are going to give it up
    then file off the front site so it doesn't hurt as much when it is shoved
    up your *ss. I'm going down shooten. Seems to work 99% of the time,
    and makes tracking the BG much easier afterwards.

Attacked from the rear, twist land on holster, it will hurt more but the dainty
    fingers grabbing the gun will be crushed.
    From the front.... Draw and fire.
    From the strong side... reach over to week side and draw.
    From the week side... let wife deal with it. She can pull hers or yours.
    From above.... Oops that's me. 5 jump commando AIRBORNE!.
    decades later those PLF's still work in everyday life.

Then there is the back up plan that needs to remain a secret so I don't tip off the BG,
    might not be totally legit, at least in Maryland and NJ, but I'll let 12 others decide.
    There probably won't be much in the way of a witness, and as it hasn't been used
    before it should make interesting case law. :shock:
    I just spend too much time thinking of ways to cover that line up, and some things
    just can't be tested in real world conditions. You just have to extrapolate from
    other actions that produce like results.
    But if you are using in real world, it can't get worse.

Post imported post

ramper50@hotmail.com wrote:
    Tomas:

If you don't mind me asking, how are you disabled?
    Since I brought it up I shouldn't mind.

Massive stroke in 2000, took me three years to fight my way out of wheelchair. Left side responds very slowly if at all, and has a lack of proprioception (little positional feedback). Balance is, uh, "iffy."

Forget running to get away, forget kicking, forget defense with the off hand, pretty much forget rapid changes of position.

No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: The officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets. -- Edward Abbey

• • • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Faciémus!• • •

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast