• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are you confident in your weapons retention skills?

ShooterMcGavin

imported post

I am curious about this... how many of us have had weapons retention training? ...and practice it regularly? If someone had the drop on you (and they always do), could you prevent them from taking your gun?

I have limited martial arts training. I have watched videos on weapons retention techniques and I have practiced them with a friend. However, when I am in a populated area, I am very conscious of anyone close to me. That can put me on edge when there are lots of people around. Sometimes, if I will be in a place with lots of people around, I do not want to OC. I am not that confident in my weapons retention skills.

Who feels the same way in this aspect of OC?

P.S. Yes, I would love to take a class. However, I am barely paying my bills now. Maybe some day.

Tawnos

imported post

ShooterMcGavin wrote:
I am curious about this... how many of us have had weapons retention training? ...and practice it regularly? If someone had the drop on you (and they always do), could you prevent them from taking your gun?

I have limited martial arts training. I have watched videos on weapons retention techniques and I have practiced them with a friend. However, when I am in a populated area, I am very conscious of anyone close to me. That can put me on edge when there are lots of people around. Sometimes, if I will be in a place with lots of people around, I do not want to OC. I am not that confident in my weapons retention skills.

P.S. Yes, I would love to take a class. However, I am barely paying my bills now. Maybe some day.
Truthfully: most weapons retention is easy. The question is really: if someone approaches you with a weapon drawn, what's your strategy?

sudden valley gunner

imported post

A lot has to do with mentality. I think about this everyonce in awhile, I am very very leary of taking someones life, would this cause me to pause long enough if in the very unlikely chance this would happen?

This doesn't mean it can't or won't happen, LEO are trained and it happens to them. Situational awareness (without paranoia) is your best defense.

Semper Paratus

imported post

I carry in a horizontal shoulder holster that carries the gun high. the top of the holster rests right where my lateral muscles taper in. that way my arm can hang normally and keep my gun trapped to my body without causing discomfort. If someone tried to grab my gun they would have to do it from the front. I have long legs and there is a good chance they would get kicked in theball sackbefore they could grab it.

MrGray

imported post

I understand concerns about a gun grab from a holster, especially for folks who OC.

I'd just point out that I've taken a class in handgun retention and disarming, and only about 5% of the class time was spent on dealing with retaining your gun when someone tries to take it from your holster. 95% of the class time was spent on learning various disarm techniques and learning to thwart those techniques *when the gun is already out of the holster*.

So if y'all are thinking "Oh, I don't need to worry about taking a class in retention techniques, I've got a retention holster", I think you're missing the point. The real value of such classes is that they teach you how to keep your gun when you're in a tussle, as you might need to do if you actually used your gun to defend yourself.

BobR

imported post

My solution is, always travel with an armed wife. :celebrate

+ plus a backup does quite nicely!

I like that thinking, I have been trying to talk my wife into letting me get a backup wife for the longest time...:D. The discussion always ends with something like "over your dead body" from my wife. :shock:

bob

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I carry a bug. Keltec P32. It weighs less than 8oz. loaded! with a clip it goes in my back pocket and looks like a knife clip. (I carry my very small wallet in my front left pocket). If my OC weapon was to be taken...I am sure that my Keltec would be deployed.

devildoc5

imported post

BobR wrote:

+ plus a backup does quite nicely!

I like that thinking, I have been trying to talk my wife into letting me get a backup wife for the longest time...:D. The discussion always ends with something like "over your dead body" from my wife. :shock:

bob
The logic behind it is rock solid though. I myself would have liked to have a back up wife when I was married, although looking back I am glad cause i couldnt put up with her let alone another one....

Ruby

imported post

ShooterMcGavin wrote:

Weapon retention and empty hands self defense are things I have been wanting to learn for awhile. Saturday I am taking a self defense class for women. I am looking forward to it. I will ask about moves I could do to avoid a gun grab or break someone's hold on the gun.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
Sylvia Plath wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:

I have a back-up gun too, it's in my spouses holster;)
I've always said, the family that shoots together, stays together :D
This reminds me when I am fluid again I am going to purchase my wife a 12 gauge street sweeper she seems to have a blast with them. I was going to get her a .20 guage but she handles loves shooting a friggin .12

Metalhead47

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
Sylvia Plath wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:

I have a back-up gun too, it's in my spouses holster;)
I've always said, the family that shoots together, stays together :D
This reminds me when I am fluid again I am going to purchase my wife a 12 gauge street sweeper she seems to have a blast with them. I was going to get her a .20 guage but she handles loves shooting a friggin .12
Hey can ya get her to talk to my wife? She tried the 12ga once & refuses to touch it anymore :what:

ShooterMcGavin

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
Hey can ya get her to talk to my wife? She tried the 12ga once & refuses to touch it anymore :what:
That just means more for you, right? :)

So far, I am not getting the impression that many people here have much training or experience fending off a gun grab. I'm not coming down on anyone. Maybe I just expect of myself that I be more prepared for "anything".

Ruby

imported post

Just thought I would let you know that if you go to the main forum listings, click on Open Carry Questions, then click on the second topic, What if someone tries to take my firearm? there are some links to some videos that you may find helpful. Some of them have to do with gun retention and some with general self defense.

Tomas

imported post

...but I'm still not able to find any instruction on personal self defense and firearm retention for the handicapped or disabled. ;)

(I'll do the best I can, but I'm not going to guarantee its good.)