• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are you confident in your weapons retention skills?

Metal_Monkey

imported post

BobR wrote:
My solution is, always travel with an armed wife. :celebrate

+ plus a backup does quite nicely!

I like that thinking, I have been trying to talk my wife into letting me get a backup wife for the longest time...  :D. The discussion always ends with something like "over your dead body" from my wife. :shock:

bob
Didn't go over too smoothly for you either....looks like we are in the same boat.

On another note, since I heard 12 gauge being tossed around...My wife has a custom 500..(and a Smith 357 that she refuses to trade me for :( )

ramper50@hotmail.com

imported post

Tomas:

If you don't mind me asking, how are you disabled?

My elder brother was paralyzed from the waist down in an ATV accident two years ago. Since then, he has been in a couple situations that left he and I saying, "That could've been bad..." Ie, while pulling into a gas station in dallas at night, a woman started yelling to/at him... He thought that maybe he'd hit something or she needed help so he slowed down/stopped and had the window halfway down when the lady started to try to get in his truck in a bad way (acting like a crackhead). He drove off (her falling) and noticed that two black guys had appearently been rushing his drivers side while the female was flagging him down... Straight up ambush....

I've been highly encouraging him to get his cpl and practice better SA and to avoid bad areas altogether...

Ajetpilot

imported post

Ruby wrote:
Just thought I would let you know that if you go to the main forum listings, click on Open Carry Questions, then click on the second topic, What if someone tries to take my firearm? there are some links to some videos that you may find helpful. Some of them have to do with gun retention and some with general self defense.
http://tinyurl.com/2doltj8

Wheelgunner

imported post

I study Aikido with an emphasis on traps and throws based on gun grabs. Further, I carry a second weapon. If I could not stop a gun grab then my default mode would be to shoot the now armed assailant.

koshinage.jpg

Ruby

imported post

Tomas wrote:
...but I'm still not able to find any instruction on personal self defense and firearm retention for the handicapped or disabled. ;)

(I'll do the best I can, but I'm not going to guarantee its good.)
Tomas, I just typed into my browser " self defense for the handicapped" and lots of things came up. I don't have time to check them out because I am getting ready for work. There was one site that had video, and and there were other sites that looked interesting too. I have gotten pretty good results by just typing in my question or a description of what I'm looking for. Maybe you have already done this and didn't find anything helpful. I'm sure there is something out there somewhere, it just may be hard to find.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Wax on, Bullet off grasshopper.

The time to decide on retention is now. If you are going to give it up
then file off the front site so it doesn't hurt as much when it is shoved
up your *ss. I'm going down shooten. Seems to work 99% of the time,
and makes tracking the BG much easier afterwards.

Attacked from the rear, twist land on holster, it will hurt more but the dainty
fingers grabbing the gun will be crushed.
From the front.... Draw and fire.
From the strong side... reach over to week side and draw.
From the week side... let wife deal with it. She can pull hers or yours.
From above.... Oops that's me. 5 jump commando AIRBORNE!. :cool:
decades later those PLF's still work in everyday life.

Then there is the back up plan that needs to remain a secret so I don't tip off the BG,
might not be totally legit, at least in Maryland and NJ, but I'll let 12 others decide.
There probably won't be much in the way of a witness, and as it hasn't been used
before it should make interesting case law. :shock:
I just spend too much time thinking of ways to cover that line up, and some things
just can't be tested in real world conditions. You just have to extrapolate from
other actions that produce like results.
But if you are using in real world, it can't get worse.

Tomas

imported post

ramper50@hotmail.com wrote:
Tomas:

If you don't mind me asking, how are you disabled?
Since I brought it up I shouldn't mind.

Massive stroke in 2000, took me three years to fight my way out of wheelchair. Left side responds very slowly if at all, and has a lack of proprioception (little positional feedback). Balance is, uh, "iffy."

Forget running to get away, forget kicking, forget defense with the off hand, pretty much forget rapid changes of position.

Jayd1981

imported post

I tend to believe the argument that a BG will grab your weapon is more of a red herring than reality. Sure it may happen, but I have never heard of it happening and think the chances are really minute. We know that an openly carried gun will deter most BG. Those that it doesn't deter I would believe are probably already armed so grabbing your pistol doesn't really give them any benifit.

Leatherneck

imported post

Jayd1981 wrote:
I tend to believe the argument that a BG will grab your weapon is more of a red herring than reality. Sure it may happen, but I have never heard of it happening and think the chances are really minute. We know that an openly carried gun will deter most BG. Those that it doesn't deter I would believe are probably already armed so grabbing your pistol doesn't really give them any benifit.
Then there is the pick-pocket style attack where one person is distracting you and a second person (possibly out of sight) grabs for your gun. Minute, yes. But plausible? Yes.

USMC1911

imported post

I use a Blackhawk Serpafor weapon retention whileOC'ing. That retention should at least slow a would be weapon hijacker enough for me to respond in some fashion, i.e elbow/forearm cover, spin away, change elevation as I spin away and attempt to draw my weapon. The one thing I do not see/hear being covered in most of these "what if" scenario is, mind set. If you have come to the conclusion that you want to protect yourself and your fellow man, be it spouse, loved ones, family, friends or another human being, then you must come to the mind set that this CAN happen and it CAN happen to you ! With the mind set that it can happen to you, the next logical thought proses is what if, what if this happens, I'll do that, or what if that happened, I'll do this. Without at least thinking through the what if's you will not be mentally prepared to deal with life's little surprises. Of course practise is the best, but at least have the right mind set to start with. My .02, I'll pass the soap box now. :lol:

Ruby

imported post

USMC1911 wrote:
I use a Blackhawk Serpafor weapon retention whileOC'ing. That retention should at least slow a would be weapon hijacker enough for me to respond in some fashion, i.e elbow/forearm cover, spin away, change elevation as I spin away and attempt to draw my weapon. The one thing I do not see/hear being covered in most of these "what if" scenario is, mind set. If you have come to the conclusion that you want to protect yourself and your fellow man, be it spouse, loved ones, family, friends or another human being, then you must come to the mind set that this CAN happen and it CAN happen to you ! With the mind set that it can happen to you, the next logical thought proses is what if, what if this happens, I'll do that, or what if that happened, I'll do this. Without at least thinking through the what if's you will not be mentally prepared to deal with life's little surprises. Of course practise is the best, but at least have the right mind set to start with. My .02, I'll pass the soap box now. :lol:
I agree with you 100%. I am far from being an expert, in fact I just got into guns early 09. My instructor encouraged "what if" games and I learned alot. From the very beginning, I have had the mindset that in a confrontation, I WILL prevail, of that I have no doubt. I am a strong, determined, and independent individual and always have been, about most things, not just guns. I think it is important to have a positive, I will win, attitude and develop the skills to back it up. Without the will to win, your skills will not save you. JMHO.:)

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

DV01.jpg

Its called a knife... and if they're close enough to grab your weapon and try and take it from you... its time to stab them until they die or stop trying to take your gun.

I guarantee... the first time that knife goes into their neck... they'll probably think twice about sticking around to get stabbed again... and if they do... keep stabbing them in the neck and stomach if you can get to it... never in any place you know there is a lot of bone.

Ruby

imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
DV01.jpg

Its called a knife... and if they're close enough to grab your weapon and try and take it from you... its time to stab them until they die or stop trying to take your gun.

I guarantee... the first time that knife goes into their neck... they'll probably think twice about sticking around to get stabbed again... and if they do... keep stabbing them in the neck and stomach if you can get to it... never in any place you know there is a lot of bone.
Cool! Does it detach from the belt? If not, your range with it will be very limited. I agree. That's why I carry a folding knife in my left front pocket. I CC most of the time and OC when I can. I am not about to give up my purse, with my gun in it, without a fight.

ShooterMcGavin

imported post

I have given a lot of thought to knife carry. I agree with you, it's a great option! I would love to carry a blade for close defense of a possible grab.I definitely think the best option is a small fixed blade. Sadly, those are illegal in Seattle, and that's why I have stopped carrying one. That pisses me off, honestly.

If someone is close and struggling for my gun, I won't have the time or space to flick open a folding knife. However, just carrying a fixed blade would keave me open to all sorts of legal crap that I don't want to get into.

Metalhead47

imported post

Ruby wrote:
Cool! Does it detach from the belt? If not, your range with it will be very limited. I agree. That's why I carry a folding knife in my left front pocket. I CC most of the time and OC when I can. I am not about to give up my purse, with my gun in it, without a fight.
http://www.valoisknives.com/belt.html

Very cool. Looks like they have a lil somethin for everyone, style-wise.

Metalhead47

imported post

ShooterMcGavin wrote:
I have given a lot of thought to knife carry. I agree with you, it's a great option! I would love to carry a blade for close defense of a possible grab.I definitely think the best option is a small fixed blade. Sadly, those are illegal in Seattle, and that's why I have stopped carrying one. That pisses me off, honestly.

If someone is close and struggling for my gun, I won't have the time or space to flick open a folding knife. However, just carrying a fixed blade would keave me open to all sorts of legal crap that I don't want to get into.
How bout one of those little "Assisted opening" jobs? My wife & I were looking at some at the WAC show the other day, look like they'd be pretty easy to open one-handed, and supposedly legal too.

Tawnos

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
ShooterMcGavin wrote:

How bout one of those little "Assisted opening" jobs? My wife & I were looking at some at the WAC show the other day, look like they'd be pretty easy to open one-handed, and supposedly legal too.
SOG FlashII on offhand side. It also makes a great steak knife and apple cutter the other 99.9999% of the time.

Ruby

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
ShooterMcGavin wrote:

SOG FlashII on offhand side. It also makes a great steak knife and apple cutter the other 99.9999% of the time.
My SOG is a Spec Elite, that's what it says on the blade. It's 4" and is an assisted opening knife. I open it part way with my thumb, then flick my wrist and it locks in place. I am left handed so I carry it in my left front pocket.

Metalhead47

imported post

Ruby wrote:
Tawnos wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
ShooterMcGavin wrote:
I have given a lot of thought to knife carry.  I agree with you, it's a great option!  I would love to carry a blade for close defense of a possible grab.  I definitely think the best option is a small fixed blade.  Sadly, those are illegal in Seattle, and that's why I have stopped carrying one.  That pisses me off, honestly.

If someone is close and struggling for my gun, I won't have the time or space to flick open a folding knife.  However, just carrying a fixed blade would keave me open to all sorts of legal crap that I don't want to get into.
How bout one of those little "Assisted opening" jobs?  My wife & I were looking at some at the WAC show the other day, look like they'd be pretty easy to open one-handed, and supposedly legal too.
My SOG is a Spec Elite, that's what it says on the blade. It's 4" and is an assisted opening knife. I open it part way with my thumb, then flick my wrist and it locks in place. I am left handed so I carry it in my left front pocket.

So....

Gun...BUG...knife...flashlight...multitool...cellphone....

I've heard from some on here who carry handcuffs & survival kits....

...so at what point does one cease being an informed citizen and become Batman?:p

Metalhead47

imported post

Ruby wrote:
Tawnos wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
ShooterMcGavin wrote:
I have given a lot of thought to knife carry.  I agree with you, it's a great option!  I would love to carry a blade for close defense of a possible grab.  I definitely think the best option is a small fixed blade.  Sadly, those are illegal in Seattle, and that's why I have stopped carrying one.  That pisses me off, honestly.

If someone is close and struggling for my gun, I won't have the time or space to flick open a folding knife.  However, just carrying a fixed blade would keave me open to all sorts of legal crap that I don't want to get into.
How bout one of those little "Assisted opening" jobs?  My wife & I were looking at some at the WAC show the other day, look like they'd be pretty easy to open one-handed, and supposedly legal too.

So....

Gun...BUG...knife...flashlight...multitool...cellphone....

I've heard from some on here who carry handcuffs & survival kits....

...so at what point does one cease being an informed citizen and become Batman?:p