• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newbie w/ wonders about OC

luke.moses

imported post

Hi all...
I'm new to this whole OC thing and have been wandering around this forum and have seen a lot of intelligent posts and decided to have a go.

My main thoughts are "What hoops does a 19 year-old have to jump through to get a handgun?" to my understanding it is legal for someone over the age of 18 to carry outside of Denver... correct me if I am wrong please... but you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun, so using a little bit of logic there must be a legal way to obtain a handgun before the age of 21... also "What would be an acceptable first handgun to purchase?" i was thinking something like a Beretta M9 as my first... (maybe a 1911 down the road) thanks for any input and i look forward to the discussions on this forum.

Thanks to all,
Moses

45acpForMe

imported post

luke.moses wrote:
Hi all...
I'm new to this whole OC thing and have been wandering around this forum and have seen a lot of intelligent posts and decided to have a go.

My main thoughts are "What hoops does a 19 year-old have to jump through to get a handgun?" to my understanding it is legal for someone over the age of 18 to carry outside of Denver... correct me if I am wrong please... but you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun, so using a little bit of logic there must be a legal way to obtain a handgun before the age of 21... also "What would be an acceptable first handgun to purchase?" i was thinking something like a Beretta M9 as my first... (maybe a 1911 down the road) thanks for any input and i look forward to the discussions on this forum.

Thanks to all,
Moses
The laws are different state-to-state so you might also post this in the Colorado thread. In Virginia, it is legal for an 18year old to OC and to buy a gun from a private seller. They can't buy through an FFL which severely limits buying via the internet sites like gunbroker.com.

As far as hoops, read your states laws (nra-ila.org http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/) and the federal Gun Free School Zone. If your concealed handgun/weapon permit involves training it "wonderfully" negates the GFSZ and then only state laws apply. Of course to get a CHP in VA you have to be 21. :) Most people start OC-ing close to home in Grocery stores, gas stations etc. If you understand the laws you can avoid most adverse meetings with law enforcement. Colorado is a pretty good state to OC in and I did in Ft Collins last time I visited. (Just stay away from Denver)

In Virginia people had to "educate" LEO departmentsabout OC and over time it has gotten easier for the rest of us follow-on-ers. If you monitor the Colorado thread they will give you heads up of what places are OC-friendly or not.

t33j

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
luke.moses wrote:
Hi all...

Thanks to all,
Moses
The laws are different state-to-state so you might also post this in the Colorado thread.  In Virginia, it is legal for an 18year old to OC and to buy a gun from a private seller.   They can't buy through an FFL which severely limits buying via the internet sites like gunbroker.com.

As far as hoops, read your states laws (nra-ila.org http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/) and the federal Gun Free School Zone.  If your concealed handgun/weapon permit involves training it "wonderfully" negates the GFSZ and then only state laws apply.  Of course to get a CHP in VA you have to be 21. :)  Most people start OC-ing close to home in Grocery stores, gas stations etc.  If you understand the laws you can avoid most adverse meetings with law enforcement.  Colorado is a pretty good state to OC in and I did in Ft Collins last time I visited.   (Just stay away from Denver)

In Virginia people had to "educate" LEO departments about OC and over time it has gotten easier for the rest of us follow-on-ers.  If you monitor the Colorado thread they will give you heads up of what places are OC-friendly or not.
Handguns may be gifted to a 19y/o (not withstanding state law I suppose). Form 4473 even discusses it.

luke.moses

imported post

Hey thanks for the input on the law side of things... i will definitely post in the Colorado section and see what else i can dig up...
any thoughts on the Beretta M9?

Mose

t33j

imported post

luke.moses wrote:
Hey thanks for the input on the law side of things... i will definitely post in the Colorado section and see what else i can dig up...

Mose
Shot one that was converted to a simunition piece last week. Seemed nice enough but it felt kinda wide. Probably not something I would want to carry all the time. Obviously I can't say anything about its accuracy or real recoil.

frommycolddeadhands

imported post

The military has been using 'em for a while. I've qualified on it. Not a whole lot to write home about. 9mm is actually a pretty small round, but it'll get the job done. Magazine capacity is up there with the best of them if you want a lot of trigger squeezes for your buck. The weapon itself is rather large and bulky, but because of it's material construction it is still lightweight. Recoil is negligible.

For the size of the gun you could get a heck of a lot more stopping power in the same size package. 1911 is a good example, as are most of the .40-.45's out there. I've even seen some smaller .45's that I would pick over a 9mm any day.

One thing that I do particularly like about the M9 is that the safety switch actually rolls the firing pin back, so it is physically impossible for the gun to fire while the safety is on. It is a very safe weapon and not a bad choice for first timers.

In the end it is up to you and what you feel comforatable with. Hope that helped, just my 2 cents

Don Barnett

imported post

You asked for advise and so you are going to be inundated with it. Many of us have been around a while and have formed our own opinions about what the best "first" handgun is. Suffice it to say, there is no one right answer; it all depends on what you are most comfortable with. You have to weigh all the options and decide for yourself.

Mychoice would be a 4" .357 Magnum revolver; something along the lines of Ruger GP100. I have a 6" model myself and can say that it is one of the most solid, well built double action revolvers I have ever owned. Ruger makes nice guns for a reasonable price.

A 4" barrel is long enough for accurate target shooting and plinking, yetsmall enough for concealed carry, with the right holster, belt and clothing. Further, you can shoot .38 Specials from the same gun for a low recoil, accurate, fun to shoot round.

My first gun was a Smith and Wesson 4" .357 Magnum, Model 19. I was stupid to sell it and a few years later Ibought another 4" .357 Mag; this time a Ruger Security Six. This one I gave to my son but I later bought a S&W 686 (3") and a Ruger GP100 (6"). Needless to say,.357 Magnum ismy favorite caliber and is the most versitile...in my opinion. I carry the Smith and Wesson all the time...it is ALWAYS with me.

But, I like revolvers. There are somewho will advise you to get Semi-Autos; and they have their own favorite calibers and models. Like I said, their advice is just as valid as mine; you have to make the choice.

As far as carrying in Colorado: I have no idea about their laws and mores. You have to find that out yourself; I am not going to offer legal advice.

Best of luck; welcome to the world of shooting and have fun making your decision.