• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WSAU News Radio (WI) - Open Carry picnic planned for 12 - 3pm Sat. in Iverson Park in Stevens Point

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.wsau.com/news/articles/2010/jun/16/open-carry-picnic-plover/

SNIP

PLOVER, Wis (WSAU) An unusual event is being held in Plover this weekend. It's an 'Open Carry Picnic'... an event where people are encouraged to bring a holstered sidearm. Long guns will not be allowed. Organizers say the event will raise public awareness of Wisconsin's open carry law.

The event includes free hot dogs. People who attend are asked to bring a dish to pass.

. . .

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Where did they get that picture?

Most people who carry guns like that to a picnic, probably never carry them any other time.

Hopefully this article will get more people out there this weekend, considering it was planned on such short notice.

aadvark

imported post

Good Luck with your Picnic in Plover, Wisconsin.

I trust that Plover Police are aware of the status of Open Carry in Wisconsin being Legal.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

logan wrote:
Where did they get that picture?
They probably got it off a stock photography website. Looks like they didn't want to put much work into the search for a photo.

Probably the photograph was made at some SASS event.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

For immediate release:

Note: the change of venue

Due to the Portage County Sheriff threatening to enforce county ordinance 6.1.6(C), which we strongly believe to be preempted by state statute 66.0409, we are going to switch the location to a City Park to avoid the conflict as the picnic is intended to be a family friendly gathering.

The location will now be the Iverson Park in Stevens Point, WI. The park is 2/3 of a mile East of I-39 on the south side of Highway 66. The general public is invited to this family friendly gathering. Hot dogs, potato salad, and beans will be served starting at 12:00PM until 3:00PM or until the food is gone, whichever comes first. Attendees are asked to bring a dish to pass if they can.

As always, open carry of a holstered side arm is encouraged but not required and we ask that long guns and alcohol be left at home.

The purpose of the picnic is to help educate the public on the legality and safety of "open carry" for personal protection in Wisconsin. This is an opportunity for those in Portage County and the surrounding area to meet individuals who carry on a regular basis. Feel free to attend and ask questions.

Hope to see you there.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
For immediate release:

Note: the change of venue

Due to the Portage County Sheriff threatening to enforce county ordinance 6.1.6(C), which we strongly believe to be preempted by state statute 66.0409, we are going to switch the location to a City Park to avoid the conflict as the picnic is intended to be a family friendly gathering.
Um, he actually threatened to enforce it? really? He wants to be sued under Section 1983?

Mike

Site Co-Founder

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yeah awesoem job Hubert! I come away with the same understanding of the pre-emption statute that the local ordinances are more stringent. However MANY counties, Milwaukee included have ordinances like this, as most of you already know. The real question though is how do we get into position to challenge these ordinances? get arrested? legal suit? I don't know..... Anyways, wish I could make it upthis weekend, I'm actually heading up there next sunday for my annual Vilas trip, missed it by one week. Have a good time guys!

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

We ARE in position NOW!

The Sheriff properly threatened us with sanctions, and informed the press. He properly cited the local ordinance AND the city didn't object.

We are looking at filing on behalf of our Portage County members as they were denied use of a park they pay for because they chose to exercise a constitutional right.

spraypilot

imported post

Sanctions? This is a shakedown by Portage County Sheriff John Charewicz. I read the Wisconsin law for myself, Wisconsin statute 941.23 substatute 66.0409. Firearms ordiances enacted by city, village, town, or county, not the same as state are UNENFORCABLE. I am going to contact the NRA, See you at iverson park saturday.
GUNS SAVE LIVES.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I just found out:

Doyle and various members of Congress are going to be in Stevens Point at the same time, at another park, 2.5 miles away from us for the 32nd Brigade's return ceremony and parade. Not only that, but they'll undoubtedly drive right past Iverson Park as they come off the Interstate.

Carry On

AdamXD

imported post

Does anyone else find it disconcerting that almost every newspaper covers the OC picnics? I made a freak connection after just reading the articles about the suicides at some of the local ranges and with such public coverage, wouldn't the OC picnics be a perfect place for the crazy anti's to attempt such "protests?"

Granted, without the media coverage our cause would be greatly hindered here in WI, but I see it as a double edged sword. Nor would it be a bright idea for said crazy anti's to unholster in a group of people who are adamant about never removing their guns from their holsters.

Oh the ideas I get in the wee hours of the morning..

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
Doyle and various members of Congress are going to be in Stevens Point at the same time, at another park, 2.5 miles away from us for the 32nd Brigade's return ceremony and parade
So will the wanted person of interest DustiniaC,

http://wcca.wicourts.gov/caseDetails.do;jsessionid=FC6C5390F814FDCB85F2A5EE3E8CA44A.render6?caseNo=2007CF000831&countyNo=5&cacheId=A73BF93E287C6EBA0321A3CE96F17955&recordCount=1&offset=0&mode=details&submit=View+Case+Details

It is evident that he is still under military orders. He has posted that he is armed and demonstrates poor impulse control.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/reply.php?topic_id=46064&post_id=797943&quote=1