• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Deer in Fairfax County

Don Barnett

imported post

I live almost adjacent to the Occoquan Reservoir and could, if I wanted, sit on my front porch, in my underwear, with a cup of coffee and bow and arrow and get all the deer I wanted.

But, I don't want to invest in all the stuff it takes to be a bow hunter; I have too many toys now that consume hundreds of dollars (handguns, cameras and Harley Davidsons).

I used to attend a Church in Lorton (Fairfax County) that sits on 60 undeveloped acres (it it a historical Church); the property is LOUSY with deer. They findmany "unauthorized" deer stands on the property, which seemed to bother no one. The Pastor, who knew I was a gun hunter,once asked me if I wanted to bow hunt on the property. He was going to give me permission but I did not want to "gear-up" for bow and arrow.

All my neighbors are frustrated about the damage the deer do to their gardens and lawns. Shrubs and flowers are always gnawled off, sometimes to the roots. A herd ran through my yard once, jumping the fences and breaking the pickets off the top of the fence slats. One ran out of a townhouse area right smack into the side of my wife's car causing $1500 in damage.

As a motorcyclist, I do not drive at night, especially during the rutting season, for fear of hitting one. One person in my motorcycle club did hit one...lucky he was not hurt.

I know many of the Parks in the area, especially ones with deer problems,have "lottery" type hunting. You put your name in a lottery and if you get picked, you are allowed to go in and hunt with rifles to your heart's content. A friend of mine did that and shot four deer in an hour. The ranger even usedaPark ATV to get the deer out.My friendwas about to leave, as four was the official limit, but the ranger said: "I just extented your 'limit' to four more; go kill 'em." The meat is donated to charity.

It is interesting that different parts of the world have different "pests". I am in contact with a person on another forum (different topic) who lives in Austrailia. He gave up motorcycling because of the ever increasing, negativetraffic "encounters" with kangaroos.

virginiatuck

imported post

rugerdon wrote:
I live almost adjacent to the Occoquan Reservoir and could, if I wanted, sit on my front porch, in my underwear, with a cup of coffee and bow and arrow and get all the deer I wanted.

But, I don't want to invest in all the stuff it takes to be a bow hunter; I have too many toys now that consume hundreds of dollars (handguns, cameras and Harley Davidsons).

I used to attend a Church in Lorton (Fairfax County) that sits on 60 undeveloped acres (it it a historical Church); the property is LOUSY with deer. They findmany "unauthorized" deer stands on the property, which seemed to bother no one. The Pastor, who knew I was a gun hunter,once asked me if I wanted to bow hunt on the property. He was going to give me permission but I did not want to "gear-up" for bow and arrow.

All my neighbors are frustrated about the damage the deer do to their gardens and lawns. Shrubs and flowers are always gnawled off, sometimes to the roots. A herd ran through my yard once, jumping the fences and breaking the pickets off the top of the fence slats. One ran out of a townhouse area right smack into the side of my wife's car causing $1500 in damage.

As a motorcyclist, I do not drive at night, especially during the rutting season, for fear of hitting one. One person in my motorcycle club did hit one...lucky he was not hurt.

I know many of the Parks in the area, especially ones with deer problems,have "lottery" type hunting. You put your name in a lottery and if you get picked, you are allowed to go in and hunt with rifles to your heart's content. A friend of mine did that and shot four deer in an hour. The ranger even usedaPark ATV to get the deer out.My friendwas about to leave, as four was the official limit, but the ranger said: "I just extented your 'limit' to four more; go kill 'em." The meat is donated to charity.

It is interesting that different parts of the world have different "pests". I am in contact with a person on another forum (different topic) who lives in Austrailia. He gave up motorcycling because of the ever increasing, negativetraffic "encounters" with kangaroos.
At the risk of perpetuating an off-topic discussion: how about crossbow? Have you looked into that?

nova

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
nova wrote:
lol at the survey question:

[size="-1"]"Police sharpshooting on public parkland"[/size]

I can just see some FCPD sharpshooter decked out in tactical gear at burke lake park going after deer. :lol:

Get with the program!

They already have been doing it for several years.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpz/eqac/report2008/wildlife.pdf

"The use of professional animal control personnel, police experts, or qualified
and experienced volunteers has been proved to be a safe, cost-effective and
successful means of management if lethal methods are employed. Earlier
experience with this method in Fairfax County has led to significant refinements
and greatly improved cost-effectiveness, with a cost per deer taken ranging
from $4.15 to $22.97. The most recent data indicate a cost of $29.58 per deer
taken. In the 2007-2008 season, 76 does and 43 bucks were taken by
sharpshooters, for a total of 119 deer. Once again, the number of deer removed
from the population by this method is not sufficient to have more than a modest
local effect. However, the sharpshooter program has been so effective in our
larger parks that vegetation has begun to recover and the focus can now shift to
some of our smaller parks."

But do they wear their tac gear?

230therapy

imported post

nova wrote:

I can just see some FCPD sharpshooter decked out in tactical gear at burke lake park going after deer. :lol:
That's exactly what they do. They take it as a training exercise. One comment they made was that the first few hours or so are easy. After that, the deer go from tree to tree.

If you attend the Fairfax County Police "Citizens Police Academy", you'll get one session with SWAT.

nova

imported post

230therapy wrote:
nova wrote:

That's exactly what they do. They take it as a training exercise. One comment they made was that the first few hours or so are easy. After that, the deer go from tree to tree.

If you attend the Fairfax County Police "Citizens Police Academy", you'll get one session with SWAT.
Good to know. Thanks. :)

Don Barnett

imported post

Here is a link to the Fairfax County Deer Management program:

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/living/animals/wildlife/management/deer-management.htm

Someone asked if I had considered getting a crossbow. The answer is NO! I don't need more "stuff". I suffered a cervical herneated disc, which was fixed, but there is residual neurological effects. I find it difficult to walk over uneven terrain and lift and carry heavy objects.

The "non-private" land around my house belongs to "Lake Ridge Parks and Recreation Association" (LRPRA). I don't know what their policy is on hunting, bow and arrow, crossbow, etc., on their land.