• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Deer in Fairfax County

bohdi

imported post

This cracks me up. Folks who hit deer with their vehicles do so because they are not paying attention 95% of the time to what is going on and are driving too fast.

The deer were here first and should not be "controlled" unless there is rampant disease and malnutrition caused by lack of available food sources. People can put up fencing to keep deer out but it has to be higher than four feet. I see deer in the spring and the fall when walking two large dogs on leashes in the very early morning. I am close enough (less than 200 feet) to get a good shot at them but am in a highly residential area and it would be reckless to try and attempt to "harvest" the deer in any manner without endangering the residents or drivers in the area.

I'm surprised the local chapter of PETA hasn't started making a fuss, lol.

gis

imported post

I don't buy the "deer were here first" argument. Deer are a nuisance and should be controlled, in a humane way of course. The fence would need to be a lot higher than 4 feet, more like 12-15 feet. When the deer are out, I could shoot 5-10 a night on my property without having to get off my deck, but I can't eat that much deer meat. :) I do wish a lot more people hunted.

ufcfanvt

imported post

There are large swaths of land in FFX Co where deer can/are shot each year, sometimes by FCPD w/ rifles at night, whilst getting paid overtime. Not too efficient...
Encouraging more bow-hunting won't do a thing to hurt anyone or anything, unless you are, in fact, a member of PETA.

Dreamer

imported post

I have friends who own property that backs up to the "buffer zone" west of GMU. Beautiful forested land, but their neighborhood is lousy with deer. As is all of Fairfax city, Centreville, Chantilly, and Manassass...

I've forwarded the link to this poll to her, and told her to send it on to all her friends. She's not a hunter, but I know she's FOR controlling the deer population, because in NoVa its gotten out of control...

altajava

imported post

Deer were here first, but so were mountain lion and wolves to balance things. We eliminated the wolf and mountain lion from the east cost so it is up to us to keep the deer population in check. I have hunted the northwest areas of Fairfax Co. with land owners permission and a bow. To many non natives around that don't like the sound of firearms. Interesting though, I have seen better trophy's in NoVA than where I hunt out in the valley.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
SNIP Encouraging more bow-hunting won't do a thing to hurt anyone or anything, unless you are, in fact, a member of PETA.
With all the bile they spew, I'll be PETA's arebitter and stringy. No amount of game-stew seasoning is gonna get rid of that taste.

virginiatuck

imported post

gis wrote:
I don't buy the "deer were here first" argument. Deer are a nuisance and should be controlled, in a humane way of course. The fence would need to be a lot higher than 4 feet, more like 12-15 feet. When the deer are out, I could shoot 5-10 a night on my property without having to get off my deck, but I can't eat that much deer meat. :) I do wish a lot more people hunted.
Have you heard of Hunters for the Hungry?

gis

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
gis wrote:
Interesting. Never heard of them. Will look intoit in the fall.

Glock27Bill

imported post

bohdi wrote:
This cracks me up. Folks who hit deer with their vehicles do so because they are not paying attention 95% of the time to what is going on and are driving too fast.

<snip>
My brother lives in Gainesville, and used to drive his oldest son to the bus stop in the early AM.

One day they were just sitting by the side of the road waiting for the bus and BAM! a deer broadsided his stationary truck.

When they dart out right in front of you, you have NO reaction time.

I think that some may be depressed & suicidal.

We need to start an organization that will provide Zanax for these poor creatures.

bohdi

imported post

GB - like humans, some animals are just plain stupid. We need a deer talker to determine the depression part. What's the matter Buck? Can't find a Doe?Is your undersized rack getting you made fun of? Don't end it all, there's a better way....

Glock27Bill

imported post

bohdi wrote:
GB - like humans, some animals are just plain stupid. We need a deer talker to determine the depression part. What's the matter Buck? Can't find a Doe?Is your undersized rack getting you made fun of? Don't end it all, there's a better way....
"But my antlers are all fuzzy 'n sh*t."

And there's a joke in there about the undersized rack part, but in deference to our fairer members, I won't touch it.

TraumaRN

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
gis wrote:
We use this program when we control the deer at our airport. Has worked out fairly well, though I couldn't tell you where the deer meat ended up.

W.E.G.

imported post

This comment reflects the inexperienced opinion of somebody who has little experience driving wooded suburban/rural roads at night.

bohdi wrote:

bohdi

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
This comment reflects the inexperienced opinion of somebody who has little experience driving wooded suburban/rural roads at night.

bohdi wrote:
Lol. Sez you.

ufcfanvt

imported post

bohdi wrote:
W.E.G. wrote:

bohdi wrote:
 Lol. Sez you.
 Lol. Sez me too. Like ya Bohdi, but deer will jump out from inside bushes/trees w/ no warning and with apparent suicidal intent. I've never hit one, but I KNOW it's because I'm lucky and doesn't go much further than that.
Let's pass this petition on to anyone who'll expand our hunting rights. Thanks.

bohdi

imported post

Lolz sayz the crowds. Heck, I like you fine folks too. Hence I threw in a percentage, not an absolute. I don't disagree that mad deer disease exists, some deer you just can't miss unless you don't drive. Especially when they run at you like Lawrence Taylor with a full head of steam from your blind side......

When I'm walking the hellhounds in the morning, I see the deer. In my neighorhood. The dogs see them and if I didn't have a gentle lead harness over their muzzles they'd be dragging me after them. I typically see 3 -5 a morning eating the grasses in common areas between the houses where the gas pipeline goes, as well as in peoples yards. I'm close enough where I could get a great shot, though the ramifications of missing are pretty high. It's that tightly packed. I've often thought about how easy it would be especially with a good rifle and a scope to take at least one a day down. That would probably rankle the sensativities of the folks in the neighborhood though, and I don't see many allowing it. Especially if there was a miss because you are either going directly at a house or at the traffic on 28. There are only two spots that would be ideal to sit and wait for them that I have seen them, so it's not impossible from a safety perspective. I'm sure the tree huggers would be up in arms though :0

nova

imported post

lol at the survey question:

[size="-1"]"Police sharpshooting on public parkland"[/size]

I can just see some FCPD sharpshooter decked out in tactical gear at burke lake park going after deer. :lol:

riverrat10k

imported post

I have had deer run into a rear quarter-panel after we had slowed to 5 mph to drive past it.

In Richmond, they do have an urban archery season. My front yard day lillies have been decimated for the second year in a row. Deer also eat the fallen crabapples from my tree. Three deer almost landed on a guys pick-up last month while I walked my dogs. One recently met its demise on the major thoroughfare a few blocks away.

I could take them from my roof but the neighborhood is just too tight; an arrow stuck buck jumping through my old neighbors picture window is unacceptable, and no firearms are allowed.

W.E.G.

imported post

nova wrote:
lol at the survey question:

[size="-1"]"Police sharpshooting on public parkland"[/size]

I can just see some FCPD sharpshooter decked out in tactical gear at burke lake park going after deer. :lol:

Get with the program!

They already have been doing it for several years.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpz/eqac/report2008/wildlife.pdf

"The use of professional animal control personnel, police experts, or qualified
and experienced volunteers has been proved to be a safe, cost-effective and
successful means of management if lethal methods are employed. Earlier
experience with this method in Fairfax County has led to significant refinements
and greatly improved cost-effectiveness, with a cost per deer taken ranging
from $4.15 to $22.97. The most recent data indicate a cost of $29.58 per deer
taken. In the 2007-2008 season, 76 does and 43 bucks were taken by
sharpshooters, for a total of 119 deer. Once again, the number of deer removed
from the population by this method is not sufficient to have more than a modest
local effect. However, the sharpshooter program has been so effective in our
larger parks that vegetation has begun to recover and the focus can now shift to
some of our smaller parks."