• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Public buildings Ban

aadvark

imported post

Fellow Free Staters...:

Whatever happened to HB 1635 and HB 1693?

As I recall:

HB 1635- Bans Firearms in Public Buildings.

HB 1693- Bans Firearms in The State Capitol Complex at Concord.

Are there any updates from Concord?

nhsig220

imported post

aadvark wrote:
Fellow Free Staters...:

Whatever happened to HB 1635 and HB 1693?

As I recall:

HB 1635- Bans Firearms in Public Buildings.

HB 1693- Bans Firearms in The State Capitol Complex at Concord.

Are there any updates from Concord?

HB 1635 - INEXPEDIENT TO LEGISLATE

HB 1693 - INEXPEDIENT TO LEGISLATE

The internet is your friend: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/bill_Status/

aadvark

imported post

I was not sure of Expedient to Legisalture means, because; in my State of Georgia, Bills that fail muster in Committtees or on The Floor are said to have 'failed' or 'died'.

I am under the assumption that Expedient to Legislature means: Not Important?

doobie

imported post

aadvark wrote:
I was not sure of Expedient to Legisalture means, because; in my State of Georgia, Bills that fail muster in Committtees or on The Floor are said to have 'failed' or 'died'.

I am under the assumption that Expedient to Legislature means: Not Important?
When you correctly use the word as "INexpedient" to legislate...yes, it means it is basically killed or to be voted to be killed if you are voting to ITL the bill.

Ought To Pass is how a bill is passed....

If course a ITL could fail to pass, which mean the bill gets passed.

Or an OTP could fail which means the bill is killed.

Confused yet? ;)

KBCraig

imported post

In New Hampshire, committees vote to declare bills either Inexpedient To Legislate, or Ought To Pass.

Both are merely recommendations, but ITL bills are lumped together and voted on in a block, as are OTP bills; this is called the "consent calendar". It's a way of efficiently accepting the committees' recommendations.

But (BIG but!), any member can demand to pull any bill off the consent calendar for an individual vote. It's not uncommon for the General Court as a whole to vote strongly against the ITL/OTP recommendation of the various committees, especially those committees that are heavily packed with big-government types.

aadvark

imported post

Every State does things a little differently..., I guess.

As a 23 year old, I learn something new every day.