• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Out of State non-resident permits?

thompsongunner06

imported post

You apply on the Va State police web site,,,they send you the Non Resident Package,,Fill it out,get prints done on their card,include CC class or DD214 copy,2 Passport photos,$100 and you will get it in 2-3 weeks. They go back 5 yrs on record. No felony convictions. My misd was over 15 yrs ago and my local sheriff turned mine down. I have carried the past year NO problems.

NcPermit

imported post

mekender wrote:
NcPermit wrote:
k-town river rat wrote:
I applied for a NC Permit last year. I was denied because of a simple assault charge on my record from 1994. I have never been arrested so someone must have stolen my identity. I talked to an attorney about this, but hegave me a price of $3,000.

Is it possible for me to get a VA non resident permit and carry concealed legally in NC?

It will be a long time before I can work out the charge on my record. I was told there would not be any finger prints or mug shots to prove it was not me. My name and address matches the name and address on the charge. If anyone knows someone that can help with this please let me know. The arrest happened in Greenville, NC.
i am a private investigator in NC and I teach the Concealed Carry class. if you would like to PM me, I might be able to help you. I am not an attorney nor do i play one on TV. I think the $3k fee might be a little unreasonable.
I would agree, if there was an arrest but they have no photos, prints or DNA to prove it was you, it should be a simple matter of filing a motion in front of a judge. You could do that yourself for not much money at all. If there was a case, it should be public record, go to the county clerk and get the records.
This is pretty much where I was headed. I doubt that VA will just hand you an out-of-state or nonresident permit without doing a background check. This is going to come up and you will still need to fight it.

thompsongunner06

imported post

With a Misd Arrest for assault there would have been mug shots and fingerprint cards done(3). If you have your prints to compare and they are different you should get charges removed. Also a soc number would have been used. Also a VICTIM and a report of the assault,do the leg work,call the PD that worked the case,take it all to a lawyer. If you have all that the PI would give to the lawyer they should not charge much,or take it all to court yourself and request to re open the case,,show your evidence and see what happens. Thats free.

mekender

imported post

Really, something like this is administrative. You probably dont need a lawyer to do it for you.

Hell if you are really that nervous about doing it yourself. Ill come do it for the cost of gas plus a good meal.

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

NcPermit wrote:
mekender wrote:
NcPermit wrote:
k-town river rat wrote:
I applied for a NC Permit last year. I was denied because of a simple assault charge on my record from 1994. I have never been arrested so someone must have stolen my identity. I talked to an attorney about this, but hegave me a price of $3,000.

Is it possible for me to get a VA non resident permit and carry concealed legally in NC?

It will be a long time before I can work out the charge on my record. I was told there would not be any finger prints or mug shots to prove it was not me. My name and address matches the name and address on the charge. If anyone knows someone that can help with this please let me know. The arrest happened in Greenville, NC.
i am a private investigator in NC and I teach the Concealed Carry class. if you would like to PM me, I might be able to help you. I am not an attorney nor do i play one on TV. I think the $3k fee might be a little unreasonable.
I would agree, if there was an arrest but they have no photos, prints or DNA to prove it was you, it should be a simple matter of filing a motion in front of a judge. You could do that yourself for not much money at all. If there was a case, it should be public record, go to the county clerk and get the records.
This is pretty much where I was headed. I doubt that VA will just hand you an out-of-state or nonresident permit without doing a background check. This is going to come up and you will still need to fight it.

Of course they do a background check. But they don't deny for a misdemeanor assault charge unless it was within the last 3 or 5 years. I don't remember which. 5 years I think. Florida and New Hampshire doesn't deny for a misd. assault conviction either unless it was within the last 5 years.

The only problem I would see is on the form you would have to check the box indicating you wree charged with the misd. assault or else when they did the BG check it would come up and they might think you were lying and reject your application for lying.

LOL you are sort of backwards! If you lie and admit to the convictionthen you will get approved. If you tell the truth and say you weren't convicted you will get rejected for lying on the app. Sort of funny but it isn't.

You can download the application from the VA State Police website.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/downloads/SP-248_Application_for_Concealed_Handgun_Permit_Rev_1-1-2009.pdf

NcPermit

imported post

Anthony_I_Am wrote:
NcPermit wrote:
mekender wrote:
NcPermit wrote:
k-town river rat wrote:

Of course they do a background check. But they don't deny for a misdemeanor assault charge unless it was within the last 3 or 5 years. I don't remember which. 5 years I think. Florida and New Hampshire doesn't deny for a misd. assault conviction either unless it was within the last 5 years.

The only problem I would see is on the form you would have to check the box indicating you wree charged with the misd. assault or else when they did the BG check it would come up and they might think you were lying and reject your application for lying.

LOL you are sort of backwards! If you lie and admit to the convictionthen you will get approved. If you tell the truth and say you weren't convicted you will get rejected for lying on the app. Sort of funny but it isn't.

You can download the application from the VA State Police website.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/downloads/SP-248_Application_for_Concealed_Handgun_Permit_Rev_1-1-2009.pdf
That is ironic. In fact every time he has filled out a job application, he has either lied or admitted to doing something he didn't do. Regardless of whether or not he ever intends to get a CCH permit from any state, he needs to take care of the issue.

k-town river rat

imported post

I am planning on trying to get this charge taken off my record. I found out about it last year when I tried to get my conceal permit. The past year it has been hard to deal with because of work. After the end of June, it will slack off, then I can take some days off to go to Greenville. No one in Lenoir County will help with info. They tell me I need to go to Pitt County.