Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Employer diarming question

Post imported post

So my husband just called me from work and asked me if I had a good sense of humor right now. I asked him why. We open carry, but when he goes to work (at a little donut dive in a bad nieghborhood in Poor Huron) he takes his gun out of his holster, and leaves at the house. He carries a knife on his side, has all his life, but today he inadvertantly left his holster on his belt. His boss asked him what the holster was on his belt for, he told her for his gun that he left at home, he was sorry and removed his holster. She then proceeded to tell him not to carry the knife anymore either! Now this woman has always made my husband make sure he watches her other female employee before they leave to be sure she is safe. Ugh!!! I am so confused! I just told my hubby to just freakin come home.But he has decided to stay. I don't even know if he removed his knife at this time, I'll find out later. I hope not!

Can I have some other opinions on this?

I should also note that this place has been robbed twice now. AND she hasa gun in her little party store next door.

????????????????????????????????????

Post imported post

If i was her i would let him at least CC at work. If the place has been robbed before im sure it will happen again. I just wonder why she would not even let him wear his knife anymore.
    In a situation when seconds count-The police will be there in minutes.

Post imported post

Me too!

Post imported post

Maybe your husband should have a talk with her about.
    In a situation when seconds count-The police will be there in minutes.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Post imported post

This falls under private property rule. If she says no, then so be it. Now if that's smart on her part is another question. She maybe afraid of lawsuits should there be robbery on the property....again is she right...probably not.

If I was your husband I'd get a nice "folding" pocket knife maybe something assisted opening to carry at work for use as a "tool" boxes, twine, etc...

The gun next store in the "party store" is only good to the people working there...not the poor folks working in the donut dive! It's clear this lady doesn't base things off of logic.

With these type of folks it's always out of sight out of mind. Sad, so sad.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Banned

Post imported post

Ifhis paycheck is worth more than his civil rights, and your life, then continue working there. Thats a choice you have to make.

Post imported post

That is exactly why I told him to just come home!

It is her loss!

(She has NO other baker!)

He can get another baker job, too easy!

Thanks all.

Banned

Post imported post

I hope it works out, and I hope you both stick around our forum, Its a good place with lots of good people, and you'll learn a lot here.

Post imported post

Thank you so much! I intend on sticking around. You guy are a bunch of fart smellers........er, ah, i mean smart fellers!

Seriously though, I have only been here a few days and have learned a lot! Well, I was brought up in a house full of guns. My Dad owned a gun shop out of our basement for years! He and my mother both have always had their own guns. I remember a certain pearl handed 22 my mother absolutely went very audible when my dad gifted her that one! A lot of reinforcement and reminders are greatfor me! Thank you for welcoming me and for helping to educate me on the laws and how they are meant! I appreciate it. I am sureI will have more questions asI go along!

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    I hope it works out, and I hope you both stick around our forum, Its a good place with lots of good people, and you'll learn a lot here.
    Well said Sir! I second your thoughts! Welcome & I too hope this works out for you both.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO. This is a great place to get answers to Gun questions in Michigan and all around the country.

Can you please go to your profile and put Michigan as your state....thankx and again....welcome:celebrate
    Only two have offered their lives for you. A Soldier and Jesus....

Post imported post

whoseesu wrote:
    Thank you so much! I intend on sticking around. You guy are a bunch of fart smellers........er, ah, i mean smart fellers!
    There are a couple fart smellers around here! ......You just have to ignore them :P

Welcome aboard!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for." Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch

McX

Post imported post

could mention: a dead baker- unarmed victim of a holdup- don't bake much bread, and a dead owner don't own much.

Post imported post

whoseesu wrote:
    It's good to be in a job which is always in demand elsewhere. Not only can you go somewhere else for better pay, but also for better self-protection.

If I were him, I think I would just put it to my boss bluntly: We don't work in the greatest of neighborhoods and I can probably get work somewhere else where I don't have to sacrifice my right to self-defense, so either you stop interfering with my ability for self-defense or I'm walking.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

My sentiments exactly! I actuall just put in a bid for a place up North in AuGres.

Perfect place to start our own bakery! Hope all turns out. If not oh well, we will keep looking.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Haha, thank you very much JBlack24

Post imported post

DanM wrote:
    whoseesu wrote:
    It's good to be in a job which is always in demand elsewhere. Not only can you go somewhere else for better pay, but also for better self-protection.

If I were him, I think I would just put it to my boss bluntly: We don't work in the greatest of neighborhoods and I can probably get work somewhere else where I don't have to sacrifice my right to self-defense, so either you stop interfering with my ability for self-defense or I'm walking.
    Rights ... rights... who's rights are in question in this case?

Like it or not an employer, for any reason logical/factual/intelligent or not, has the right to not allow employees who work for them to have a gun on the job as a condition of employment.

Employees have the right to go work somewhere else if they don't like the employer's conditions for employment.

Whoseesu has it correct... job requires no gun but employee requires a gun .... then the employee has the freedom to go and find another job where his requirement for a gun is ok with the employer. If her husband wishes to continue to work for his current employer, for whatever reasons, then he will have to adhere to the employer's conditions for employment.

Or he can just quit and go get a different employer.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Banned

Post imported post

Which amendment would that be?

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    Assuming on my part your comment was directed at Bikenut....

So, you disagree that employers (businesses) should not have the Right to prohibit certain activities/conduct by their employees?

Banned

Post imported post

Yes, let them get their own amendment, we have ours.

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    Yes, let them get their own amendment, we have ours.
    Did you not grasp the issues pertaining to Government intervention onto private property rights when the smoking ban was enacted? In other words, where do our (carriers) Rights end and private property Rights begin?

Do you really think Government intervention onto private property such as said smoking ban is a win for gun owners and carriers?

Banned

Post imported post

I disagreed strongly with the smoking ban, even though because of smoking, I cant breathe.

My issue with buisinesses vs. A2 are from a different angle.

Its too easy for a 7$ an hour employee who is mislead about guns or at the very least, uneducated about them, to trample on our rights usually as a result of an emotional snap judgement. And it was real soldiers who fought in many wars to ensure our freedoms. I never saw the geek squad, or the cart catchers at the local Krogers storming the beaches of Normandy. So why let them determine who has rights, where, and when?

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    Stainless, I trust you are aware that amendments do not grant rights. Also, just fyi, but most rights are unenumerated. 9th Amendment:

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
    Further reading:

http://www.fff.org/freedom/fd0504a.asp
    The Bill of Rights: Unenumerated Rights
    by Jacob G. Hornberber, Posted August 10, 2005
    A common misconception among the American people is that their rights come from the Constitution. Even lawyers and judges are guilty of believing this, oftentimes suggesting that whether a right exists or not depends on whether it is listed in the Constitution. Law-enforcement agents read criminal suspects “their constitutional rights,” which leads some people to infer that the Constitution is the actual source of people’s rights.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Suppose the Bill of Rights had not been enacted. Would that mean that people would not have the rights that are enumerated in those amendments?

No, it would not mean that. The existence and protection of those rights did not depend on the passage of the Bill of Rights.

Banned

Post imported post

CoonDog wrote:
    stainless1911 wrote:
    Stainless, I trust you are aware that amendments do not grant rights. Also, just fyi, but most rights are unenumerated. 9th Amendment:

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
    I agree that the constitution doesnt grant rights.

So why is this a one way street in the favor of an employee or owner?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast