• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Employer diarming question

whoseesu

imported post

So my husband just called me from work and asked me if I had a good sense of humor right now. I asked him why. We open carry, but when he goes to work (at a little donut dive in a bad nieghborhood in Poor Huron) he takes his gun out of his holster, and leaves at the house. He carries a knife on his side, has all his life, but today he inadvertantly left his holster on his belt. His boss asked him what the holster was on his belt for, he told her for his gun that he left at home, he was sorry and removed his holster. She then proceeded to tell him not to carry the knife anymore either! Now this woman has always made my husband make sure he watches her other female employee before they leave to be sure she is safe. Ugh!!! I am so confused! I just told my hubby to just freakin come home.But he has decided to stay. I don't even know if he removed his knife at this time, I'll find out later. I hope not!

Can I have some other opinions on this?

I should also note that this place has been robbed twice now. AND she hasa gun in her little party store next door.

????????????????????????????????????

Recoil88

imported post

If i was her i would let him at least CC at work. If the place has been robbed before im sure it will happen again. I just wonder why she would not even let him wear his knife anymore.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This falls under private property rule. If she says no, then so be it. Now if that's smart on her part is another question. She maybe afraid of lawsuits should there be robbery on the property....again is she right...probably not.

If I was your husband I'd get a nice "folding" pocket knife maybe something assisted opening to carry at work for use as a "tool" ;) boxes, twine, etc...

The gun next store in the "party store" is only good to the people working there...not the poor folks working in the donut dive! It's clear this lady doesn't base things off of logic.

With these type of folks it's always out of sight out of mind. Sad, so sad.

whoseesu

imported post

Thank you so much! I intend on sticking around. You guy are a bunch of fart smellers........er, ah, i mean smart fellers!

Seriously though, I have only been here a few days and have learned a lot! Well, I was brought up in a house full of guns. My Dad owned a gun shop out of our basement for years! He and my mother both have always had their own guns. I remember a certain pearl handed 22 my mother absolutely went very audible when my dad gifted her that one! A lot of reinforcement and reminders are greatfor me! Thank you for welcoming me and for helping to educate me on the laws and how they are meant! I appreciate it. I am sureI will have more questions asI go along!

SlowDog

imported post

Welcome to OCDO. This is a great place to get answers to Gun questions in Michigan and all around the country.

Can you please go to your profile and put Michigan as your state....thankx and again....welcome:celebrate

Jblack44

imported post

whoseesu wrote:
Thank you so much! I intend on sticking around. You guy are a bunch of fart smellers........er, ah, i mean smart fellers!

There are a couple fart smellers around here! ......You just have to ignore them :p

Welcome aboard!

M

McX

imported post

could mention: a dead baker- unarmed victim of a holdup- don't bake much bread, and a dead owner don't own much.

DanM

imported post

whoseesu wrote:
He can get another baker job, too easy!

It's good to be in a job which is always in demand elsewhere. Not only can you go somewhere else for better pay, but also for better self-protection.

If I were him, I think I would just put it to my boss bluntly: We don't work in the greatest of neighborhoods and I can probably get work somewhere else where I don't have to sacrifice my right to self-defense, so either you stop interfering with my ability for self-defense or I'm walking.

whoseesu

imported post

My sentiments exactly! I actuall just put in a bid for a place up North in AuGres.

Perfect place to start our own bakery! Hope all turns out. If not oh well, we will keep looking. :)

B

Bikenut

imported post

DanM wrote:
whoseesu wrote:
He can get another baker job, too easy!

It's good to be in a job which is always in demand elsewhere. Not only can you go somewhere else for better pay, but also for better self-protection.

If I were him, I think I would just put it to my boss bluntly: We don't work in the greatest of neighborhoods and I can probably get work somewhere else where I don't have to sacrifice my right to self-defense, so either you stop interfering with my ability for self-defense or I'm walking.
Rights ... rights... who's rights are in question in this case?

Like it or not an employer, for any reason logical/factual/intelligent or not, has the right to not allow employees who work for them to have a gun on the job as a condition of employment.

Employees have the right to go work somewhere else if they don't like the employer's conditions for employment.

Whoseesu has it correct... job requires no gun but employee requires a gun .... then the employee has the freedom to go and find another job where his requirement for a gun is ok with the employer. If her husband wishes to continue to work for his current employer, for whatever reasons, then he will have to adhere to the employer's conditions for employment.

Or he can just quit and go get a different employer.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
Which amendment would that be?

Assuming on my part your comment was directed at Bikenut....

So, you disagree that employers (businesses) should not have the Right to prohibit certain activities/conduct by their employees?