• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

It's been awhile...

SomeGuyInCali

imported post

It has been a while since I have visited this forum. I came back today to look up some information about certain areas of California.

My convictions and beliefs regarding OC have not changed. I believe in the cause firmly. However, I pulled away from this forum due to the non-stop contentious quarreling I see. We all have slightly different views about things. We all have different approaches to hows and where one should OC.

Some believe that OC should be a full time activity. Others believe that OC should be carefully planned and thought out. Some feel that the cavalier actions of other OCer's will cause more harm than good. I'm not here to adjudicate the issues.

I am writing this post to encourage all of us here in California to work together while demonstrating a gracious attitude toward each other. The constant arguing and bickering that goes on here only serves to disintegrate the cause. You can get a point across without attacking the personal nature of another person. If you feel someone is misguided in their beliefs or ways gently let them know without attacking their personal character. (The words troll for example, though the post may be highly controversial, does not automatically mean the post is intended "astroturfing".)

We are here to rally for our "inalienable" rights as human beings.

Even if a post is a genuine trolled post, how we respond is critical to the cause. We should never react to a situation. Responding, rather, suggests a well trained, thought out process. Reacting is almost autonomous. You never hear of EMS, Fire or Law reacting to a call--It's always responding.

Gundude

imported post

SomeGuyInCali wrote:
It has been a while since I have visited this forum. I came back today to look up some information about certain areas of California.

My convictions and beliefs regarding OC have not changed. I believe in the cause firmly. However, I pulled away from this forum due to the non-stop contentious quarreling I see. We all have slightly different views about things. We all have different approaches to hows and where one should OC.

Some believe that OC should be a full time activity. Others believe that OC should be carefully planned and thought out. Some feel that the cavalier actions of other OCer's will cause more harm than good. I'm not here to adjudicate the issues.

I am writing this post to encourage all of us here in California to work together while demonstrating a gracious attitude toward each other. The constant arguing and bickering that goes on here only serves to disintegrate the cause. You can get a point across without attacking the personal nature of another person. If you feel someone is misguided in their beliefs or ways gently let them know without attacking their personal character. (The words troll for example, though the post may be highly controversial, does not automatically mean the post is intended "astroturfing".)

We are here to rally for our "inalienable" rights as human beings.

Even if a post is a genuine trolled post, how we respond is critical to the cause. We should never react to a situation. Responding, rather, suggests a well trained, thought out process. Reacting is almost autonomous. You never hear of EMS, Fire or Law reacting to a call--It's always responding.
I don't see any more bickering here than would be expected with a group this size. We have some here that want it all and they want it yesterday, and are pounding their fists on the table. Some are layed back, waiting. And the rest are somewhere in between. I expect most of it is just from frustrationwith our legislators.

Don Tomas

imported post

If you think there's bickering going on here, you should see the Harley forum I belong to. Hoo Boy! At last check there were over 112,000 members. You can only imagine what kind of arguments go on there.

Like you, I expect everyone to just get along, but in a group of this size, infighting is to be expected. Wish it wasn't so,but there's always someone who comes along to stir the proverbial pot of excrement.