• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sheriff violations in issuing concealed handgun permits

FPV02

imported post

As promised, I haveresumed addressing non-compliance issues with sheriffs regarding concealed handgun permits.

Stokes County: Had been requiring a $25 Clerk of Court criminal background check *prior to and in addition to*applying for a CHP. Although they didn't bother to reply to me (actually, I think the jerk I dealt with didn't want to admit being wrong), they stopped the practice 2 1/2 weeks ago after getting my fax and confering with the AG. My suggestion to anyone who paid the $25 would be to demand your money back.

Washington County: After receiving my e-mail, they revised their web site to remove character references as a requirement for concealed handgun permits. Chief Deputy Brian Hardison says it was a mistake by their web administrator and should have applied only to pistol purchase permits. (Yes, I don't like them for purchase permits either, but until we change the law, sheriffs have that option).

Durham County: Sent fax below today.

Forsyth and Mecklenburg Counties: Faxes out tomorrow.

Paul

[align=left]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/align]
To: Worth Hill, Sheriff, Durham County

Ref: Photographs for concealed handgun permits

Date: June 16, 2010

Number of pages incl. cover: 1

Dear Sheriff Hill:

As Eddie Caldwell of the North Carolina Sheriffs' Association will attest, Grass Roots North Carolina represents many thousands of gun owners in North Carolina. In fact, we werecentral todrafting and passing North Carolina's original concealed handgun law, our concealed handgun reciprocity law, and our law bypassing pistol purchase permits for concealed handgun permit-holders.

Reports have been made that administrators in your office are advising people that in order to apply for a concealed handgun permit under Article 54B of the North Carolina General Statutes, they must be photographed. In fact, one report indicates being required to line up with sex offenders.

As you may be aware, nothing in § 14-415.12, “Criteria to qualify for the issuance of a permit,” either requires or empowers a sheriff to require photographs for concealed handgun permits in North Carolina’s non-discretionary[/b] concealed handgun permit system.

Please advise whether this is, in fact, the practice in Durham County and, if so, what will be done to bring the county incompliance with the North Carolina statutes. I look forward to your prompt resolution of the issue, including a response within ten (1) business days. Please feel free to call me directly at (704) 907-9206 to discuss the matter.

Respectfully,

F. Paul Valone

President, Grass Roots North Carolina

glock30

imported post

65dd6b0e.gif

FPV02

imported post

Hey. somebody posted problems with Forsyth with regard to CHP requirements on the web site. Looks fine to me (we might quibble over a $3 notary fee for purchase permits, but I have better things to do with my limited time). What was the bitch?

Paul

mekender

imported post

Looks like the person that posted it was looking at the Forsyth County, GA sheriff's site

http://www.forsythsheriff.org/index.php

Instead of the NC one.

Although, they are asking you to fill out a form with your employment information on it, I dont know that is relevant to getting a CHP...

20 years of previous addresses seems a bit excessive.

That and them only allowing applications for 4 hours a day seems kinda BS, but not much can be done about that.

FPV02

imported post

Copy that. Next target Mecklenburg, which is failing to send renewal notices, as required since Jan 1, 2010.

FPV02

imported post

Thanks, but it isn't just me.GRNC has a large contingent of capable volunteers. Pease consider donating a few hours.

To Meekender: Apologies for missing the end of your message. I'm not sure there is much we can do about the application. Avaiilability of appointments is something we might take up on a time-available basis. Right now, we are trying to keep the NRA and Dems from muzzling us in future elections via HR 5175.

Dreamer

imported post

Actually, I was going to volunteer for the New Bern gun show this weekend, but my sweetie's family is having a HEYUUUGE Father's day shindig in Fayetteville on Saturday...

But I may be available for the next Greenville Show (Aug 22-23). We have family visiting from Germany sometime in August, but I think they'll be gone by then...

I'll contact you next week to let you know if I can work Greenville in August.

FPV02

imported post

Actually, rather than contacting me, contact David Regnery, our Director of Volunteer Services, at: volunteer@GRNC.org. David will set you up. He does a helluva job.

mekender

imported post

I am being told that Onslow county is charging $15 -$25 records check fees for Purchase Permits. That is in addition to the $5 permit fee.

Also, as quoted from another forum:

Onslow County issues a white copy and a pink copy of the permit. The pink copy is supposed to be stapled to a copy of the 4473 and sent back to the sheriff. I don't know how many shops actually do it, as it is an illegal gun registration scheme, but I know the gun shops in other counties just give them back to you.

FPV02

imported post

So far, I am buried in the "Disclose Act" crap. Do me a favor and call them to verify. Just tell them you are interested in a purchase permit (don't say you don't live in the county) and ask the two things you mention.

mekender

imported post

Stokes county used to, dont know if they still do, ask for three character references that are Stokes county residents for a CHP.

glock30

imported post

Davidson county asked for references not to long ago. My dad got his concealed carry there. I can check and see if they still do