• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hosting an Open Carry Event

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

First I would like to thank everyone that has hosted an Open Carry Event or attempted an event. I known a few events have been cancelled but I would like to thank you for your efforts.

Now I have a real issue we need to deal with. This does not apply to everyone, but if it does apply to you, please pay attention.

I have noticed several posts throughout the forum where people are saying things like, "Give me ideas for events" or Why hasn't anyone here done a BBQ or a trash pickup?" or "Lets have an Open Carry Lunch. Someone give me ideas."

People... come on. Be creative. If you want to host an event, find a date 1 month or more in the future and make that your date. It should give most people enough time to change schedules and make plans to arrive. Next, set up a time. If you ask everyone on this forum when they can attend an event you'll never get started. That's why you set the date and time and people show up. Lately I've seen too many people posting these comments and this is why so many people don't take us seriously. We talk, talk, and talk but we don't set dates. Just do it! Quit asking for ideas, dates, times, locations, etc. Do it yourself and people will show.

I know, I know... I'm guilty of this as well. When I first joined this forum I posted a topic doing the same thing, but I learned that those posts are wastes of time.

People, if you want to host a "trash pick up", do it! Stop asking when and where. Find a date, a busy intersection, set the time for "rush hour" traffic, then spend $12 and buy a ton of trash bags. Once you have your details set, make a post about!! People will show up!

I hope I have gotten through to some of you. It seems as if there is a "what do we do" pandemic hitting the Open Carry community. Ifyou're asking around because you're scared... don't be. Everyone has been there and you'll be fine. Think of some good ideas, share them with others to determine the best, then host the best idea! But please, stop posting all these questions asking others what to do.

Thanks for reading and I hope this made some sense. Have a great day everyone.

-Tim

eye95

imported post

Good post. The Alabama Starbucks didn't take a lot of planning, and we had a great turnout (except for the guy in the cowboy hat and shoulder holsters; somehow we missed him! ;) ).

Oh, and whoever is having a BBQ, hurry up. I am hungry. ;)

Deacon Blues

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
Once you have your details set, make a post about!! People will show up!
Recently, yes, this has been true. However, a lot of the "test the waters" mentality comes from past experience. Exempli gratia: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=4670

Some of us haven't quite gotten used to all this success. I appreciate your call to action, and I'll try to do my part.

Dianosis

imported post

Kirbinator wrote:
Ought to be good for some publicity... "Gun owners repaint The Gun, which was vandalized by anti-gun activists..."
Brilliant! Get me some pics of the current shape it's in and I'll start hyping it on AOC.

Deacon Blues

imported post

Maybe they had the forethought to put down an anti-graffiti barrier over the new paint. That's what I was going to suggest we do, but it doesn't look like it'll be necessary.

That's what you get for thinking! :banghead:

Kirbinator

imported post

Apparently it's a local thing to repaint the gun at a whim. Sometime around Christmas, it was made up like a candy cane christmas tree.

For reference, I'm talking about a WWII howitzer that was put over the city for protection during that war. I believe it's a 75, 105, or 155mm gun.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Now if we can just get Vulcan to start OC'ing.
Hmm, after hours paint job?
What's good enough for anti is good enough for me.
Two wrongs can expose a RIGHT! :celebrate

Kirbinator

imported post

Well, Vulcan has that whole "demigod" thing going for him, like Perseus in Clash of the Titans. Since he's immortal, he doesn't need self-defense except from the elements. And he is OC a spear...

And he's OC the buttocks of a deity.