• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unicorn

t33j

imported post

White jeep with sig sauer sticker on the back window.
Rt. 50 heading East yesterday evening 'round 5:30?

virginiatuck

imported post

As used on this board, I thought a "unicorn" was someone who was openly carrying a firearm; and furthermore had no knowledge of or association with OCDO. You know, qualities that make them very rare, if not imaginary.

I could be wrong, but do you see from where I am coming?

Dreamer

imported post

So, technically, unless a person is on private property, or face-down on the ground with several LEO's pointing their guns at him, a "unicorn" spotting in MD is a near impossibility....

t33j

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
As used on this board, I thought a "unicorn" was someone who was openly carrying a firearm; and furthermore had no knowledge of or association with OCDO.  You know, qualities that make them very rare, if not imaginary.

Sure. I figure anybody not anti in MD is very rare. :)
Actually I thought about this before I posted, and didn't come up with a suitable alternate.

virginiatuck

imported post

t33j wrote:
virginiatuck wrote:
As used on this board, I thought a "unicorn" was someone who was openly carrying a firearm; and furthermore had no knowledge of or association with OCDO. You know, qualities that make them very rare, if not imaginary.

Sure. I figure anybody not anti in MD is very rare. :)
Actually I thought about this before I posted, and didn't come up with a suitable alternate.

I'd like to see some statistics on firearm ownership in Maryland. Even if you only count the legal firearm owners, I suspect that they're more common than you think.

Dreamer wrote:
So, technically, unless a person is on private property, or face-down on the ground with several LEO's pointing their guns at him, a "unicorn" spotting in MD is a near impossibility....

Not at all... Hang out around 7-11's in the City of Baltimore, or the Counties of Montgomery or Prince George's and you just might see one.

Mr H

imported post

No numbers for you, sorry (I suspect it would be tough to get them from MSP, in any case).

But, anecdotally??

Folks I see and talk to and notice as I move around the state, I would have to say that (other than in Baltimore City and most of PG/Monkey Counties, I would put the percentage of "legal" gun owners in Maryland at about 60% of households elsewhere, and 20% of the areas that elect governors and US Senators.

I do see a disturbing trend, where most of these people seem particularly reluctant to speak on the subject, let alone admit thay have firearms.

On a comforting side-note... Wifey is being asked more and more about the benefits and details of shooting/owning. The irony here, is that she teaches in a fairly rough area of Southern PG County!!!

Rest assured, folks are out there... IMO, we're actually a silent majority (even in Absurdistan)

Sig229

imported post

Nice to see other Sig owners.

I bought my first Sig at a gun store in Glen Burnie. Cant remember the name, but it was on Crain Hwy.

Anyhow, yes believe it or not you can OC in MD without a license. But a the law sates, it can only be at the range or engaged in a shooting event. (I know, not what you meant)

Sig229

imported post

Mr H wrote:
I'm guessing it was Bart's. Good folk there.

Coincidentally, that was where my P239 came from.

Nah it wasnt Barts. The prices at Barts are insanely high compared to most other places in my experience.

I think it was a place called A&D Pawn. When you go in, the left side is all guns and the right is pawn.

They sell mostly new guns. That is a really good group of guys and teh prices are the lowest I have founf in the Balto area.
When I bought my Sig 229-R new, it was $100 cheaper tyan many of the other places around.

If A&D is still open, check them out. you wont be sorry.

Mr H

imported post

Dang... I haven't been back in there in almost 20 years!!

Funny thing though, I had to head over about 5 block from there this evening.

Sig229

imported post

Mr H wrote:
Dang... I haven't been back in there in almost 20 years!!

Funny thing though, I had to head over about 5 block from there this evening.

So did you go to that gun shop or couldn't?

When I visit MD again next month, I may stop in and say hello.

Mr H

imported post

I work all the way on the other end of the Baltimore area... will probably be a weekend visit.

But it's on the list, honest!!