• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC was boring yesterday and today

MGoduto

imported post

I've had the opportunity to OC in the following places:

Bank Of America (Glastonbury) - 06/15 - deposited my unemployment checkand paid the mortgage. No reaction from the tellers or the folks working at desks.

PF Chang (West Hartford) - 06/15 - picked-up an order of take-out food. No reaction from folks waiting for tables inside, the cute little chickie behind reception, or the folks on the patio.

Target (New Britain) - 06/16 - dropped-off a prescription to be filled. The pharmacists know me by sight. No reaction from other customers.

Dunkin Donuts (Berlin) - 06/16 - went inside to buy coffee (medium hazelnut, black). Two contractor-types looked briefly. Guy in a suit thought I was a LEO. Told him that I'm not; he turned out to be a Legal Aid attorney and he commented that it's the first time he's seen someone OC'ing. I said that it wasn't common in CT- yet. Told him where to find answers to questions about carrying - he was unawarethat state law does not mandate how-to-carry. No reaction from the employees.

Quality Subaru (Wallingford) - 06/16 - dropped-off my Forester for 60k mile service. Been going there for 4 years; they know me and know that I carry. Service writers, service manager, sales guys, and the owner had no reaction.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car (Wallingford)- 06/16 - got a free rental car for the day, courtesy of Quality Subaru. The young guy who picked me up had a couple of OC questions; the other folks in the office either didn't notice or didn't care.

Lowes (Wallingford)- 06/16 - stopped in to pick up a couple of air filters and a replacement water filter cartridge for my kitchen-sink filter. No reaction from anyone (customers or employees.)

I must blend into the background pretty well.

mg

atrule

imported post

I find it pretty amazing how much people really DON'T notice. Sometimes you get a look. But, that's about it.

Looks like you really went to a lot of places today. I just went to Chinese takeout while OC today.

Rich B

imported post

This is pretty much the experience I have been having for months now. I open carry as a normal part of life, and notice some looks and such, but it is very rare anyone breaks from the pack to mention my firearm. Even when they do, they are usually curious or just plain positive.

I tried listing all the places I OC, but since I do it as a normal part of life, I couldn't possibly list them all here. Easier to instead list the places we have had an issue.

• - Branford Cue and Brew
    - Yale Billiards

That is it. And neither place has a posted sign that I am aware of, so feel free to see if your experience is any different than mine.

Looks like billiards is just not our game...

Revolver_Ocelot

imported post

Rich B wrote:
This is pretty much the experience I have been having for months now. I open carry as a normal part of life, and notice some looks and such, but it is very rare anyone breaks from the pack to mention my firearm. Even when they do, they are usually curious or just plain positive.
+1 here too.

KennyB

imported post

One of the few places I haven't OC'd is a bank. Just haven't had to do any bussiness while OC'ing yet. I've had some questions while OC'ing, but most seem to not even notice, lol.

KB

Tazman2

imported post

Its funny because my local Webster Bank has a sign for no weapons right at the door before the actual bank but none before which includes the ATM area which has a outside door. Guess I'm legal to the ATM area and that's it! :celebrate

GoldCoaster

imported post

Since I never go into the bank and pretty much do all my dealings with the ATM, that's ok by me. Think about ATM robberies, that's where you're most vulnerable and where you most need to be able to protect yourself.

sheepdaddy

imported post

Tazman2 wrote:
Its funny because my local Webster Bank has a sign for no weapons right at the door before the actual bank but none before which includes the ATM area which has a outside door. Guess I'm legal to the ATM area and that's it! :celebrate
Signs at Webster? What's more funnyis that my local Webster Bank has NO signs whatsoever. I've OC'd there many times and always get the glance, a smile,and a nodfrom the security guard. I have delt with the tellers and theSOB (small of back that is) CC'ing manager withthe same treatment.

Tazman2

imported post

GoldCoaster wrote:
Since I never go into the bank and pretty much do all my dealings with the ATM, that's ok by me. Think about ATM robberies, that's where you're most vulnerable and where you most need to be able to protect yourself.
Exactly why I do NOT go to the bank unless I'm carrying so I try to plan my money withdrawls tragically so I don't run out of cash say during work hours, etc.! when I'm not "allowed" to carry! :p

sheepdaddy wrote:
Tazman2 wrote:
Signs at Webster? What's more funnyis that my local Webster Bank has NO signs whatsoever. I've OC'd there many times and always get the glance, a smile,and a nodfrom the security guard. I have delt with the tellers and theSOB (small of back that is) CC'ing manager withthe same treatment.
Really! Odd. Mine in Newington has it right before the door into the bank. Unless its been removed recently and I didn't notice yet as I hardly ever go into the bank itself! ;)

sheepdaddy

GoldCoaster wrote:
Exactly why I do NOT go to the bank unless I'm carrying so I try to plan my money withdrawls tragically so I don't run out of cash say during work hours, etc.! when I'm not "allowed" to carry! :p

sheepdaddy wrote:

Really! Odd. Mine in Newington has it right before the door into the bank. Unless its been removed recently and I didn't notice yet as I hardly ever go into the bank itself! ;)

Yep..went to 2 different Websters in Hamden yesterday for business and to look for signs and neither had signs. Go figure.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
...I try to plan my money withdrawls tragically...

I'm with you man. It is always tragic when a man has to deal with a bank, what with the fractional reserve banking fraud, and the lie that his loan to the bank is a "deposit" which he can only get back if he follows the bank's rules. And, has to do that business with a fiat currency (paper money you are forced to accept because of government decree aka fiat, even though it is not based on gold, and the central bank [Fed Reserve] can inflate the amount of money in circulation, lessening the value of the money you already have.)

:cry:

:)D. But, only joking about the quote-ee's unintended use of the word "tragic".)

GoldCoaster

hmmm

Reading my post it made it look like I don't mind the banks refusing lawfully carried firearms in their premises, that wasn't my intention. I was merely implying I get much more polite service from the bank when I deal with the ATM than I do with the tellers.

I have two banks, one is Chase and I'm going to start weaning myself off that one as they are apparently virulent anti second amendment. The other bank is Peoples which is one of the few banks that didn't pork out at the bailout trough as they didn't make fast and loose with the borrowing. I think that kind of responsibility should go rewarded. I'm not sure of their stance on guns though, I've been in there CC'ing but not OC. I had to withdraw some cash to buy a used car and I damn sure wasn't going to be walking around with that much cash without something to back me up.

Tazman2

So here's a kick in the pants. Went to my local (Newington) Webster Bank the other day that originally had the no firearms sign and looked for it again and its now GONE! :)