• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry @ Wal Mart #431 Paducah KY

fubar59

imported post

On June 5th of this year my son and I were shopping at the local Wal Mart (#431 southside). After concluding our business at the checkout a young female CSM approached us and told us to not return to their store carrying a firearm.

My son was carrying a Rock Island Armory 1911A2 15 rd 45 ACP in a camo shoulder holster.

I asked, politely of course, if that was corporate policy or what. She stated "yesit is corporate policy please do not return to their store if we were carrying a firearm". I asked to speak to a Manager, and she called someone she said was the Asst Mgr. They never showed up but a Zone Mgr, did. Young lady asked what was going on and I explained it to her. She said Wal Mart does not post signs banning firearms carry, but they do look at case by case basis IF someone (customer) voices a concern or one of their associates does. Then they could ask a person to remove the firearm or leave. We had a very short discussion on KY laws on open vs CCW carry, and she said she would contact corporate and get a definitive answer for the next time. But that we had done nothing wrong and were free to leave if we were done shopping or to contine shopping if we weren't. I thanked her and left.

I emailed corporate offices through their website asking for clarification so as to prevent any problems in the future. Corporate simply stated "they allow firearms but reserve the right to case by case basis ask people to leave or remove the firearm".

Just now received a phone call from the stores Asst Mgr, and we had a 30 minute conversation on the laws, the different scenarios (ie what if someone were carrying a long gun versus a handgun etc) I told him KY law does not require a permit for open carry, only for CCW, and that anyone KY resident or not is elgible for the open carry. Which he said he did not know. I invited him to do some research so that he wasn't simply taking my word for it, and he said he would. We ended the conversation with him explaiing that we had done nothing wrong, we were more than welcome to shop there with or without our firearms and he was very sorry that this had happened. He would speak with the csm and after researching the laws of OC vs CCW he would speak with the associates and make sure they knew the laws and the situations wherein they might have concern and where they should not have concern.

All in all it was a VERY positive encounter. I am more than glad that not only Wal Mart corporate takes the stance they do but the local MGR's are seemingly very willing to followup on situations and make sure they are taken care of and people's rights are respected.

Steve Bohannon

neuroblades

imported post

If you have the chance again and something like this happens, tell them to contact the Market Office, this is Wal Mart's policy department internal in Bentonville, AR. That should put an end to this stuff.

I NEVER fail to be amused by the "Wal Mart Encounters". *LOL*

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I have the Walmart Regional manager on my speed dial for when I run in to one of those "uninformed workers."You should see the look on their face when I hand them my phone and say explain the issue to your regional manager, I explain that the Regional Manager and I have discussed this issue and as long as I am lawfully carrying my weapon I am free to shop in the store.