Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holsters

Post imported post

Just looking for opinions here on what people think of OC'ing with a holster with no retainment strap/lock on it. The only holster i own is a galco for CC with my m&p 40c. I OC with the same holster since it is the only one i own.
    In a situation when seconds count-The police will be there in minutes.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

get some weapon retension training and be on top of your SA

Post imported post

Im always on top of my SA. Its always a good thing to be aware of your surroundings. I will get another holster eventually and practice with it.I was wondering if some folks think it is foolish to OC without a retention holster. Personally i think its ok. Has anyone ever heard of someone trying to take their gun from them while OC'ing?
    In a situation when seconds count-The police will be there in minutes.

Post imported post

You should be able to buy one of the serpa sportster holsters for $35 - $40. I bought both of mine locally for under $35 each. They do give a little added holster wear to your weapon but that shouldnt be a concern for a carry weapon. I dont even worry about it on my stainless para 1911, which I think is my new OC weapon until I get a nicer 1911. I shoot way better with it than I do my FNP9.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Post imported post

Yes: I oc w/o a strap and my sister in a moment of stupidity thought I wasn't paying attention; came up from behind me and barely touched the grip as my hand came down on her wrist (karate chop style). It sprained her wrist...painful price for being stupid.
    Keep your SA at peak at all times, no matter who it is.

Post imported post

Retention or no retention the security of your gun will be controlled by what's between your ears.

Post imported post

Oh yeah....the gray matter latch! :P

Post imported post

No retaining strap on any of my belt holsters. My Alessi Bodyguard has a pull-through strap...but I don't think that counts, does it?
    I always open carry one of my Kimber 1911 pistols everywhere I go. Usually in a paddle holster. Nothing fancy, but it works for me.

Banned

Post imported post

I highly recommend a retension for OC. Its just not worth it. You could get shot, or have to explain to an officer or jury why you diddnt spend 30 bucks on a blackhawk.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    get some weapon retension training and be on top of your SA
    +1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

The statement above is the best free advice you will ever get! Holsters are a personal choice...no matter what you choose TRAIN, & then train more. Retention is good, but as with everything in life there are trade-offs: speed vs. mobility. If you think you may ever have to run with a holstered pistol, then a thumb break maybe a choice to consider & so on...

Can you deploy your pistol under stress? Can you do it with either hand consistently?
    I personally don't like Serpa's, I have large hands/fingers & find it difficult to hit the button right handed, & damn near impossible to draw left handed. In the real world things happen....you may not always have the use of your strong hand (injury/shot/stabbed/dog is chewing on it...etc.) Practice with your weak hand, it could save your life!

Remember folks: being able to draw a pistol fast from a holster at a well lit range & burning holes in a stationary paper target is a far cry from the situations you may actually find yourself involved in, in real life.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Post imported post

or the mechanical part could fail when your life depends on it most. I am not a fan of a mechanical holster. But that's just me. I like a leather holster that has good retention and nothing to get in the way when I need to pull my weapon quickly and smoothly. Again just my opinion.....
    Only two have offered their lives for you. A Soldier and Jesus....

Post imported post

I like my Galco leather W/thumb break for Open carry. Not a big fan of the Blackhawk serpa. Here is a thread about Serpa on MGO with video on post #6 & #7 http://www.migunowners.org/forum/sho...ighlight=serpa

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Post imported post

DetroitBiker wrote:
    I like my Galco leather W/thumb break for Open carry. Not a big fan of the Blackhawk serpa. Here is a thread about Serpa on MGO with video on post #6 & #7 http://www.migunowners.org/forum/sho...ighlight=serpa
    Great post! Thanks for the video links.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Banned

Post imported post

I think that the folks in link on post 7 had the adjustment screw set wrong. If so, this was a case of user error. ie. not knowing how to use their equipment, or to operate its safety features. This was a grey matter issue.

Post imported post

SlowDog wrote:
    or the mechanical part could fail when your life depends on it most. I am not a fan of a mechanical holster. But that's just me. I like a leather holster that has good retention and nothing to get in the way when I need to pull my weapon quickly and smoothly. Again just my opinion.....
    +1
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

Post imported post

Food for thought....

Situational awareness.... It's nice to say that situational awareness is supreme for weapon retention but human nature is to focus on what is important at the time it is happening so...

An important conversation can cause a person to not be aware of the movements of other people around them.

Even the simple act of looking at an item in a store (how situationally aware are we when we are looking at a new gun?)... or paying for that item at the check out can cause a person to not be aware of the movements of other people around them.

And important events going on in a person's life can cause mental preoccupation ... and folks aren't aware of the movements of other people around them.

In my opinion ... having a holster with retention, coupled with training in retention techniques, is nothing more than an extra level of preparedness in recognition that relying on situational awareness alone may not be enough.

I'd also like to say something about weapon retention training... it isn't necessary to spend bucks and go to a class, course, buy a DVD, or hire a trainer. The internet has many sites with examples of retention methods and practicing them on your own IS training.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Post imported post

I carry my 1911 at 4-5 o'clock in an open top leather holster and when ever I am out and about I always try to keep SA cranked up. Yes there are times where we are distracted. These are the time where I'll bring my right arm down over my weapon covering it. I also tend to wear dark clothing so most times it blends right in and people don't even notice it.
    I also try to sit in places like restaurants facing the entrance and my strong side away from everyone......just sayin...

Post imported post

SlowDog wrote:
    I carry my 1911 at 4-5 o'clock in an open top leather holster and when ever I am out and about I always try to keep SA cranked up. Yes there are times where we are distracted. These are the time where I'll bring my right arm down over my weapon covering it. I also tend to wear dark clothing so most times it blends right in and people don't even notice it.
    I also try to sit in places like restaurants with my back to the entrance and my strong side away from everyone......just sayin...

I imagine that was a typo? I always sit where i can see the entrance...
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Banned

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    SlowDog wrote:
    I also try to sit in places like restaurants with my back to the entrance and my strong side away from everyone......just sayin...

I imagine that was a typo? I always sit where i can see the entrance...
    same here

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    I think that the folks in link on post 7 had the adjustment screw set wrong. If so, this was a case of user error. ie. not knowing how to use their equipment, or to operate its safety features. This was a grey matter issue.
    You think wrong.

Serpa's don't have adjustment screws.

Post imported post

Yes it was....typo fixed! Thanks guys!

Banned

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    stainless1911 wrote:
    You think wrong.

Mine does

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    dougwg wrote:
    stainless1911 wrote:
    You think wrong.

Mine does
    All SERPA retention holsters have an adjustment screw(s). The only SERPA model that may not have one is fortasers.

Post imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
    stainless1911 wrote:
    dougwg wrote:
    stainless1911 wrote:
    You think wrong.

Mine does
    All SERPA retention holsters have an adjustment screw(s). The only SERPA model that may not have one is fortasers.
    not on the button

Post imported post

The passive retention screw on the serpa can adjust tightness of the weapon,but it has nothing to do with the spring activated locking mechanism ..Its the trigger guard locking mechanism that has been known to fail. Its not a big deal at all to remedy, Just carry a pair of tin snips with you while your carrying. If the serpa happens to lock up on you while your trying to Defend your life,ask the Bad guy for a (Time Out) while you can cut your weapon loose. Then carry on with your gunfight.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast