• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holsters

Recoil88

imported post

Just looking for opinions here on what people think of OC'ing with a holster with no retainment strap/lock on it. The only holster i own is a galco for CC with my m&p 40c. I OC with the same holster since it is the only one i own.

Recoil88

imported post

Im always on top of my SA. Its always a good thing to be aware of your surroundings. I will get another holster eventually and practice with it.I was wondering if some folks think it is foolish to OC without a retention holster. Personally i think its ok. Has anyone ever heard of someone trying to take their gun from them while OC'ing?

fozzy71

imported post

You should be able to buy one of the serpa sportster holsters for $35 - $40. I bought both of mine locally for under $35 each. They do give a little added holster wear to your weapon but that shouldnt be a concern for a carry weapon. I dont even worry about it on my stainless para 1911, which I think is my new OC weapon until I get a nicer 1911. I shoot way better with it than I do my FNP9.

WARCHILD

imported post

Yes: I oc w/o a strap and my sister in a moment of stupidity thought I wasn't paying attention; came up from behind me and barely touched the grip as my hand came down on her wrist (karate chop style). It sprained her wrist...painful price for being stupid.
Keep your SA at peak at all times, no matter who it is.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

Retention or no retention the security of your gun will be controlled by what's between your ears.

The Expert

imported post

No retaining strap on any of my belt holsters. My Alessi Bodyguard has a pull-through strap...but I don't think that counts, does it?

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

dougwg wrote:
get some weapon retension training and be on top of your SA
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

The statement above is the best free advice you will ever get! Holsters are a personal choice...no matter what you choose TRAIN, & then train more. Retention is good, but as with everything in life there are trade-offs: speed vs. mobility. If you think you may ever have to run with a holstered pistol, then a thumb break maybe a choice to consider & so on...

Can you deploy your pistol under stress? Can you do it with either hand consistently?
I personally don't like Serpa's, I have large hands/fingers & find it difficult to hit the button right handed, & damn near impossible to draw left handed. In the real world things happen....you may not always have the use of your strong hand (injury/shot/stabbed/dog is chewing on it...etc.) Practice with your weak hand, it could save your life!

Remember folks: being able to draw a pistol fast from a holster at a well lit range & burning holes in a stationary paper target is a far cry from the situations you may actually find yourself involved in, in real life.

SlowDog

imported post

or the mechanical part could fail when your life depends on it most. I am not a fan of a mechanical holster. But that's just me. I like a leather holster that has good retention and nothing to get in the way when I need to pull my weapon quickly and smoothly. Again just my opinion.....

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

I think that the folks in link on post 7 had the adjustment screw set wrong. If so, this was a case of user error. ie. not knowing how to use their equipment, or to operate its safety features. This was a grey matter issue.

cmdr_iceman71

imported post

SlowDog wrote:
or the mechanical part could fail when your life depends on it most. I am not a fan of a mechanical holster. But that's just me. I like a leather holster that has good retention and nothing to get in the way when I need to pull my weapon quickly and smoothly. Again just my opinion.....
+1

B

Bikenut

imported post

Food for thought....

Situational awareness.... It's nice to say that situational awareness is supreme for weapon retention but human nature is to focus on what is important at the time it is happening so...

An important conversation can cause a person to not be aware of the movements of other people around them.

Even the simple act of looking at an item in a store (how situationally aware are we when we are looking at a new gun?)... or paying for that item at the check out can cause a person to not be aware of the movements of other people around them.

And important events going on in a person's life can cause mental preoccupation ... and folks aren't aware of the movements of other people around them.

In my opinion ... having a holster with retention, coupled with training in retention techniques, is nothing more than an extra level of preparedness in recognition that relying on situational awareness alone may not be enough.

I'd also like to say something about weapon retention training... it isn't necessary to spend bucks and go to a class, course, buy a DVD, or hire a trainer. The internet has many sites with examples of retention methods and practicing them on your own IS training.

SlowDog

imported post

I carry my 1911 at 4-5 o'clock in an open top leather holster and when ever I am out and about I always try to keep SA cranked up. Yes there are times where we are distracted. These are the time where I'll bring my right arm down over my weapon covering it. I also tend to wear dark clothing so most times it blends right in and people don't even notice it.
I also try to sit in places like restaurants facing the entrance and my strong side away from everyone......just sayin...

autosurgeon

imported post

SlowDog wrote:
I carry my 1911 at 4-5 o'clock in an open top leather holster and when ever I am out and about I always try to keep SA cranked up. Yes there are times where we are distracted. These are the time where I'll bring my right arm down over my weapon covering it. I also tend to wear dark clothing so most times it blends right in and people don't even notice it.
I also try to sit in places like restaurants with my back to the entrance and my strong side away from everyone......just sayin...

I imagine that was a typo? I always sit where i can see the entrance...

Beerme

Banned
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
SlowDog wrote:
I also try to sit in places like restaurants with my back to the entrance and my strong side away from everyone......just sayin...

I imagine that was a typo? I always sit where i can see the entrance...
same here

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
I think that the folks in link on post 7 had the adjustment screw set wrong. If so, this was a case of user error. ie. not knowing how to use their equipment, or to operate its safety features. This was a grey matter issue.

You think wrong.

Serpa's don't have adjustment screws.