• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holsters

SpringerXDacp

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
dougwg wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:
I think that the folks in link on post 7 had the adjustment screw set wrong. If so, this was a case of user error. ie. not knowing how to use their equipment, or to operate its safety features. This was a grey matter issue.

You think wrong.

Serpa's don't have adjustment screws.
Mine does
All SERPA retention holsters have an adjustment screw(s). The only SERPA model that may not have one is fortasers.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:
dougwg wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:
I think that the folks in link on post 7 had the adjustment screw set wrong. If so, this was a case of user error. ie. not knowing how to use their equipment, or to operate its safety features. This was a grey matter issue.

You think wrong.

Serpa's don't have adjustment screws.
Mine does
All SERPA retention holsters have an adjustment screw(s). The only SERPA model that may not have one is fortasers.
not on the button

DetroitBiker

imported post

The passive retention screw on the serpa can adjust tightness of the weapon,but it has nothing to do with the spring activated locking mechanism ..Its the trigger guard locking mechanism that has been known to fail. Its not a big deal at all to remedy, Just carry a pair of tin snips with you while your carrying. If the serpa happens to lock up on you while your trying to Defend your life,ask the Bad guy for a (Time Out) while you can cut your weapon loose. Then carry on with your gunfight. :D

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

If its adjusted too far, it wont let the gun out. From the information I had as a youtube viewer, not being present, and messing around with my holster, the conclusion I came to was that it was likely user error.

CoonDog

imported post

The over-tightening the screw could be a problem by locking the trigger guard, but I don't think that's the main issue. The bigger problem is potentially getting a rock or some other foreign material stuck between the button and the pistol, thereby preventing the button from being released and the pistol removed.

Michigander

imported post

If you are very alert, conscious of your surroundings, and not in a crowded or crampedarea where you are utterly destined to get close enough tobetouched by a passerby, I agree thata retention holster isnot needed. I spent over half a year OCing almost every day in Phoenix with an uncle Mikes sidekick, and I'd have no trouble doing so again ifI had a reason to. It's a wide open enough place tocarry safely with no retention.

In a more crowded place where you are much more likely tocome close to a lot of people, I personally believe it isdangerous to open carry without using a retention holster. I believe this because of my experiences with martial arts, as well as some of what I consider common sense. You can disagree with this, and bring up things like how often OCers tend to get singled out for being armed and subsequently getattacked. But remember, it has happened all the time to professional OCers (cops and security guards) and the only known fact that seperates us from them in terms of disarmament attacks is that we the private OCersare a small minority compared to those who are paid to OC. Any other theories about why so few private OCers get attacked are just theories.

Police that I haveseen almost universally carry level 2 or 3 Safariland holsters, often having a department prescribedchoice between the 2. I think there are a lot of good reasons for this, and that is why I carry with a level 3 Safariland.

By the way, that Steve Fisher moviewith theSerpa and the 1911 I think maycallhis credibility into question. He rambles on and on and on in that movieabout a widely respected product with no explanation of the failure. Furthermore, he has claimed to have seen numerous people negligently discharge rounds when drawing from Serpas, yet their is no documentation of this I have ever seen or heard of. Why wouldn't he get the people that did this on video? I know from my ND I got shot by (CZ52 fell on the ground and shot me) that a ND victim is going to bevery eager to prevent it from happening to other people, and I therefore would expect at LEASTvideo or writtentestimony from these people.I will happily eat my words and admit to being wrong if I can be proved wrong, but I've brought this up before, and no one has ever cared toadequately correctme. :uhoh:

Beerme

Banned
imported post

CoonDog wrote:
The over-tightening the screw could be a problem by locking the trigger guard, but I don't think that's the main issue. The bigger problem is potentially getting a rock or some other foreign material stuck between the button and the pistol, thereby preventing the button from being released and the pistol removed.
my friend and 2 of his buds carried their SA in serpas in the sandbox for a few years not once did theirs fail them

fozzy71

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Police that I have seen almost universally carry level 2 or 3 Safariland holsters, often having a department prescribed choice between the 2. I think there are a lot of good reasons for this, and that is why I carry with a level 3 Safariland.

I plan to get a Safariland once I decide on my primary OC weapon. They arent cheap, and with the accessories I want it was over $200. After almost 500 rounds thru my 1911 now I think I will be buying some safariland gear soon.

This is the list of goodies I was gonna get for my FNP9 but I was not sure if that would be my primary OC weapon of choice. These items allow for a few different methods of carry and a quick connect system.

safarilend-beltloops2.png

Michigander

imported post

I suggesta level 2Fine Tac 6280. I got mine with the add on level 3 stuff shipped forjust over100 dollars. There is no reason to get a leather model, these get nasty and cracked with extensive use, and also cost more.

fozzy71

imported post

The 6005 tactical uses the same holster as the 6280 and 6285. They just have different mounting methods. The 2 accessory belt loop adapters I got will convert my 6005 to a 6280 or 6285 depending on which I prefer that day. It was cheaper to go this rought than to get a 6280 or 6285 and the accessory tactical leg shroud for the 6005 separately.

CoonDog

imported post

Beerme wrote:
my friend and 2 of his buds carried their SA in serpas in the sandbox for a few years not once did theirs fail them
That's all well and good for your friend and his buds. Likewise, mine has not failed me, either. Now, do you have anything relevant to add to the discussion that might inform upon the cause(s) of the Serpas that have failed?

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Michigander wrote:
If you are very alert, conscious of your surroundings, and not in a crowded or crampedarea where you are utterly destined to get close enough tobetouched by a passerby, I agree thata retention holster isnot needed. I spent over half a year OCing almost every day in Phoenix with an uncle Mikes sidekick, and I'd have no trouble doing so again ifI had a reason to. It's a wide open enough place tocarry safely with no retention.

In a more crowded place where you are much more likely tocome close to a lot of people, I personally believe it isdangerous to open carry without using a retention holster. I believe this because of my experiences with martial arts, as well as some of what I consider common sense. You can disagree with this, and bring up things like how often OCers tend to get singled out for being armed and subsequently getattacked. But remember, it has happened all the time to professional OCers (cops and security guards) and the only known fact that seperates us from them in terms of disarmament attacks is that we the private OCersare a small minority compared to those who are paid to OC. Any other theories about why so few private OCers get attacked are just theories.

Police that I haveseen almost universally carry level 2 or 3 Safariland holsters, often having a department prescribedchoice between the 2. I think there are a lot of good reasons for this, and that is why I carry with a level 3 Safariland.

By the way, that Steve Fisher moviewith theSerpa and the 1911 I think maycallhis credibility into question. He rambles on and on and on in that movieabout a widely respected product with no explanation of the failure. Furthermore, he has claimed to have seen numerous people negligently discharge rounds when drawing from Serpas, yet their is no documentation of this I have ever seen or heard of. Why wouldn't he get the people that did this on video? I know from my ND I got shot by (CZ52 fell on the ground and shot me) that a ND victim is going to bevery eager to prevent it from happening to other people, and I therefore would expect at LEASTvideo or writtentestimony from these people.I will happily eat my words and admit to being wrong if I can be proved wrong, but I've brought this up before, and no one has ever cared toadequately correctme. :uhoh:
So basically you're calling him a lier.:?

Michigander

imported post

CoonDog wrote:
Beerme wrote:
That's all well and good for your friend and his buds. Likewise, mine has not failed me, either. Now, do you have anything relevant to add to the discussion that might inform upon the cause(s) of the Serpas that have failed?

There arenoaccounts of an updated from the original Serpa jamming with verified proof that it wasn't intentional that I have seen. Rather than search for something rare or perhaps non existent, I think it would be good to consider the circumstances required to jam a Serpa as you detailed where a piece of foreign debris could get caught in the mechanism.

In essence, you would have to be grappling around in pea gravel, or something similar. If you're somewhere rural enough or specialized enough (like aconstruction job)to be tangling up withlittle rocks, the odds are quite small that you need to be wearing a retention holster, unless maybe you're a cop, or some other type of person who can reasonably expect surprise 2 legged trouble. As a private OCer, there is little to no reason to wear a retention holster in these circumstances.

This scenario would probably also involve sand in some quantity. Large quantities of sand will jam just about any semi auto pistol, even Glocks,often rendering them into hand cycled weapons. Your gun is your life, and allowing it to get mixed up with sand and rocks is already an enormous mistake which may lead to a malfunction, whether or not a holster is even involved. A very sandy and/or rockyenvironmentisaplace to be extremely cautious, and it's probably a good time to conceal if you have that option.

I can't argue with the idea that it's a potential weak link in the reliability chain, and perhaps should therefore be eliminated. But by that train of thought, I can't argue with the tactical advantage of concealment. Both make sense, and both are statistically unfounded.

In my opinion, Serpa haters would do better to bad mouth the issues of finish wear and theobvious retention system.

Michigander

imported post

dougwg wrote:
So basically you're calling him a lier.:?

No, I'm saying his claims are not backedby credible evidence. There is a difference between flat out lies, non credible/unsubstantiated statements, and certified truth. I consider the things he said that I brought upto be non credible, because they are not verified through other sources, nor has he taken any significant steps to prove it that I know of.

If he wants to get me to believe his claims, and spread hisinformation around, he needs to substantiate it, and I will happilly join him in his preachings ofSerpa hatred. (It's not like I'm a Serpa fan as is)I am a firm believer in the scientific method, and I won't consider something to be a fact without proper proof. Short of that, I will merely consider it hearsay which I have neither confirmed nor denied.

Again, if he or anyone elsehas cited explicitproof ofhis Serpacomplaintsin the past, my apologies for questioning him, please just show me.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Michigander wrote:
If you are very alert, conscious of your surroundings, and not in a crowded or cramped area where you are utterly destined to get close enough to be touched by a passerby, I agree that a retention holster is not needed. I spent over half a year OCing almost every day in Phoenix with an uncle Mikes sidekick, and I'd have no trouble doing so again if I had a reason to. It's a wide open enough place to carry safely with no retention.

In a more crowded place where you are much more likely to come close to a lot of people, I personally believe it is dangerous to open carry without using a retention holster. I believe this because of my experiences with martial arts, as well as some of what I consider common sense. You can disagree with this, and bring up things like how often OCers tend to get singled out for being armed and subsequently get attacked. But remember, it has happened all the time to professional OCers (cops and security guards) and the only known fact that seperates us from them in terms of disarmament attacks is that we the private OCers are a small minority compared to those who are paid to OC. Any other theories about why so few private OCers get attacked are just theories.

Police that I have seen almost universally carry level 2 or 3 Safariland holsters, often having a department prescribed choice between the 2. I think there are a lot of good reasons for this, and that is why I carry with a level 3 Safariland.

By the way, that Steve Fisher movie with the Serpa and the 1911 I think may call his credibility into question. He rambles on and on and on in that movie about a widely respected product with no explanation of the failure. Furthermore, he has claimed to have seen numerous people negligently discharge rounds when drawing from Serpas, yet their is no documentation of this I have ever seen or heard of. Why wouldn't he get the people that did this on video? I know from my ND I got shot by (CZ52 fell on the ground and shot me) that a ND victim is going to be very eager to prevent it from happening to other people, and I therefore would expect at LEAST video or written testimony from these people. I will happily eat my words and admit to being wrong if I can be proved wrong, but I've brought this up before, and no one has ever cared to adequately correct me. :uhoh:
i agree and have personal experience with the uncle mikes, took an officer several tugs to get it out. it's a retention without a button for release. gun stays in securely.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I also have an older Uncle Mikes level 2 retention holster. It works well & requires a twist & up motion without any buttons. That being said I don't like using retention holsters. The way I prefer to maintain my pistol is through SA & forearm positioning.
I use a Glock service holster most of the time w/15 degree forward cant, in a cross draw configuration.

When in a high LEO attention situation (OC picnic / Council meeting) I use a leg drop so there's no way it can be said it was concealed.

In a crowded area, which I try to avoid, my forearm will always be rested across the rear of the slide & pistol grip. This still makes for a fast draw, while forcing someone trying to get to the pistol to attempt to force your arm out of place. If you practice this technique with a friend (using a training pistol or your unloaded, safety checked pistol) you'll be amazed at how well you can avoid losing your pistol & if need be spinning into or away from the threat while drawing with your "free" hand. With a retention holster you lose this flexibility & speed. That said, if you feel better using one do so, it's all a matter of choice. It also comes down to how much of your <1*> you are willing to put on the line. ;)

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

I was in a self defense class and was thrown over someones shoulder to the mat, landing on the blackhawk. It was on my hip then. The gun stayed in it, and the holster still works. You need a retention holster in a fight, or when jumping a fence or similar situation.