• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Northshore Mall

4sooth

imported post

My wife works in the mall and saw someone OC today--Slidell PD asked for the guys ID. She thinks he provided it. Mall security hovered nearby for awhile. She didn't see when he left.

LA Confederate

imported post

Northshore Mall is notoriously anti-2A including anti-OC and anti-CC. They have a policy of no firearms unless you are a LEO however this anti-gun policy is not published anywhere nor are the required "No Firearms" stickers displayed on the doors. It is for this reason that I do not do business with the Mall if I can help it.

As far as the guy who was accosted by Slidell PD, it's unfortunate he decided to cave in to their unwarranted requests as OC is legal and he was not suspected of a crime.

4sooth

imported post

I have had some interesting conversations with local law enforcement concerning OC, Terry stops and car searches. One of then told me they have something which trumps the constitution--departmental policy!!! If it's policy then they are protected from the law!! You should hear some of the other things I've been told.

barf

imported post

This is the reason I don't carry ID on me when OCing. My ID is my driver's license and it certainly isn't needed by ANYONE unless they need it for a driving issue. Used to be places would ask for it when you charged something on your credit card, but that hasn't happened to me in years. Why even get into a argument with an LEO over WHY you won't show them your license - just don't have it!

Slidell Jim

imported post

Has anyone fessed up as the person that was there. I'd love to here their side of the story, and what the PD told them.

February 2010
Slidell Jim wrote:

I got it on good accord from Donna Allen, Director of Public Safety, that the mall is Anti Weapon. This includes guns, knifes, CC or OC, by anyone, including herself and her security guard staff. She stated that anyone seen with any sort of weapon for any reason, other than on duty LEO, would be asked to leave the mall. I did observe that there are no signs on entrances stating this policy.
Donna Allen actually told me that any person seen in the mall with a weapon would be asked to leave by the Slidell PD, not by her staff. So it seems that it's regular policy to call the cops on law abiding citizens at the mall.

+1 to the "no signs on the entrances"

A few days later in February
Slidell Jim wrote:
The mall contacted my employer today to "check up on me". I got a call from my boss 2 hours ago, he said "you raised some red flags at the mall the other day... I got things smoothed over for you, and just don't go asking any questions like that again while you are in uniform."

This is how things went down. I had a customer at the mall on Tuesday afternoon, after i finished I went down to the mall office and sat down in a chair. The secretary and I had a 2 minute conversation like this.
Q: "whats the mall policy on firearms?"
answer: "no tolerance."
Q: "does this also apply to persons with a state ccw permit?"
A: "I don't know, but here is a business card for our Head of Public Safety."

The following morning I called that person. The results from that call where in the OP.

Now the Head of Security didn't know who I was at that time, anymore than by name, I think she had no association to my uniform, at that time. They must have heard back from the secretary, and put it together, and felt the need to call on my employer to check up on me. Really bad business call IMO. If they needed to "check me out", then call the Slidell PD, STPSO, and the FBI for that matter. The local or Fed LEO's would have told them everything they know about me, which is ZERO! I have no record, no flags, not even a speeding ticket since 2004.

I guess it REALLY is easier to ask forgiveness than permission. I got what I deserved for asking a question, right? I think I wont be going back to the mall period. Now I really don't feel safe, they have made it clear that they dont allow guns, don't carry guns of their own, and discourage folks from asking questions about their policy by contacting their employer. And they "know who I am." Which really puts a tingle in my spine. There have been plenty of private businesses that have come out PRO 2A, that I can patronize in what ever capacity I feel is best for myself. I will stick to where I am welcome and can be assured of my personal safety, by myself.