• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry?

tomob1

imported post

open carry is legal here. would this on a belt be considered open carry?
thanks!

wmmd1924365.jpg

eye95

imported post

One could argue in court that it is OC.

One could argue in court that it is CC.

If either is unlawful, your life could be made miserable. It's not a good idea.

virginiatuck

imported post

tomob1 wrote:
thanks!

wmmd1924365.jpg
Here where? You didn't provide your location in your profile nor in your post. As eye95 implied, the legal definition of a concealed weapon is different almost everywhere.

For example, in Virginia, deceptive appearance is considered concealed. From Section 18.2-308:
For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.

An ornate belt buckle with a working firearm in/on it would probably fool me and I'd think it was just a belt buckle unless I had the opportunity to examine it closely. But no, I'm not getting that close to your crotch.

I've read some Mississippi law lately, and while open carry is technically legal without a license/permit, Mississippi courts have ruled that a holster conceals a firearm in part, so your belt buckle may be the only way to openly carry a firearm without a license/permit in Mississippi. However, I don't know that for sure and I'm not an attorney offering you any legal advice. This is all speculation.

Haz.

imported post

tomob1 wrote:
thanks!

wmmd1924365.jpg

Hi 'tomob1'

I doubt if a belt buckle or badge could be considered open carry. This is what I consider would be open carry to its full extent.

tomob1

imported post

now THATS what i call open carry!:what:

"Here" is kansas. legal OC. I have a CC permit, so i'm covered either way. local police know that it's a real gun (i brought it to the station and showed 'em). my question is whether it would be legal w/o my permit.
would your state consider it OC?
thanks
tom

Dreamer

imported post

NC considers belt-buckle guns to be CC.

It is not explicitly defined in statute, but the Attorney General includes this specific scenario in the "NC Firearms Laws" booklet, which represents the AG's official stance on such "gray areas"...

So if you have a CC permit, it would be OK.

But if you DON'T have a permit, it's NOT considered legal for OC in NC...

hp-hobo

imported post

It's funny how different states can twist things around to make whatever you do illegal. In seems that many OC states consider this set up to be a concealed weapon. In South Carolina, which is a CC state, you would absolutely get tagged with open carry of a concealable weapon.

Wouldn't it be simpler if all US citizens just had torespect the Second Amendment?